Lightning strike kills Baxter camper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had some unbelievable lightning that night in the VT/NH/ME area from storms moving through the area. Lots of heavy strikes and tremendous cloud to cloud lightning. Some of the most vivid I have ever seen.

I also heard one report of a woman struck by lighting in Bartlett though I don't know if that was actually the case. She did survive but again I have my doubts that was actually her problem.

Condolences to the family in ME on their loss.

Keith

Oh wow, awful. Vacationing in Baxter and losing a kid like this... terrible.

I have a hard time trying to put my shoes in this family (or any family that suffers a loss) and it's hard. I can't think of what I'd do or say or think. It's gotta be rough.

Oh man...

-Dr. Wu

I`ve got reservations at Katahdin Stream in Sept. Makes you think! In 1963 we nearly (10ft) got struck in Nickerson State Park - I remember the press coming and talking to my folks. These people will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Condolences

I lost my oldest son to an accident last year. He would have been 30 this December. There are no words to tell of the feeling. My heart goes out to his family. Parents should never outlive their children, it's not the natural order of things. I hate to see an obituary of someone younger than me. Nobody yonger than 75 should ever die. I know that's not reality, but it's how I feel.

KD Talbot

A good friend was also camping at Katahdin Stream Saturday night, with his son, who enters Plymouth State as a freshman this week. From his e-mail to me:

"We were mid-way through KP when the heavens opened up and a horrific thunderstorm blew through. One lighting blast hit very close to our tent site and shook the ground as [my son] and I stared at each other wide-eyed and proclaimed: “Geez, that was close!” The rain came down in buckets so we turned in. Luckily we had air mattresses which kept us off the damp floor where downpours had leaked in the windows. Shortly after climbing into the tent we heard a weak siren along the Tote Road but did not know it’s final destination. When I got home today I read the paper and saw the [newspaper article quoted above]."

We should count our blessings every day.