Trail names on Mt Chocorua?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
For this month's trail name question, there is a trail that runs between the Champney Falls Trail and the Middle Sister Trail, creating a triangle about .3 miles on a side. Does anybody have a photo of the sign on either end of this trail? (No, ME, he didn't write this one down.)

Bonus question, approaching the Bolles Trail parking lot along the Kanc, what trails does the sign say?

Middle Sister Cut-off Trail or Champney Brook Cut-off Trail???

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
Bonus question, approaching the Bolles Trail parking lot along the Kanc, what trails does the sign say?
Going strictly by memory:

Champney Falls Trail
Bolles Trail

arm said:
a friend told me they used to close the Kanc in Winter years ago ?
That is definitely true, there used to be gates that could actually be closed, then in the '60s there were warning signs that the road was closed and it didn't get plowed until after other roads. (noted personality Red Perham told me one day when I went around and he went across that the sign said "Road Closed to Conway" but didn't apply to Perham) As of 20 years ago, the state paid 2 guys all night to drive it from both ends and plow or salt as needed. Last year I went across in early morning and it appeared the 2 guys were laid off and we're back to the '60s :)

arm said:
your 1954 map does not show the Kancamagus Highway ...The two sections were at last completed and opened to thru traffic in 1959.
It was a pet project of Forest Supervisor C.L.Graham in the '50s [note picnic area at summit] who also wanted a similar road across the Wild River divide. He didn't believe in hiking however and many of the trails shown on older maps vanished on his watch.

stopher said:
Going strictly by memory:

Champney Falls Trail
Bolles Trail
Did that sign also say "Old Skidder Path" :)

Michelle said:
Is that the one?
Probably, although as ME says we can't see it. Was that sign at the top or bottom?

Thank you, I can see it now, I believe the sign at the bottom has the same name.

Would you care to identify the cute kid?

-rs