Dial for Grace, Dial and Nippletop for my 23 & 24, Gravestone Brook for Terra

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headed out from WP sunday morning about 6:00am with Arm, we arrived at the Round Pond lot about 6:45, got our packs on and headed up the trail behind the Grace Group peaking Dix. Great group of guys and we chatted here and there on the way out.

A slight herdpath headed into the woods on the far side of the brook invited us to venture onward. The brook was wide and rocky near the start of the whack, but soon gave way to broad slabs and incredible flumes. I would never think that just beyond the periphery of the birches and hardwoods such beauty would be found, but then, I still find myself thinking, "this is why people bushwack. To see the hidden and the unseen".

I have only bushwacked one other peak, Lone in the Catskills. I was a follower, I took no active role in the navigation of that peak. I wasn't even a peakbagger. It was just a chance to go hike an untrailed peak and enjoy the valley of the Neversink. But today, I had three objectives; primarily to participate in Good Climbing for Grace by covering Dial Mntn, a peak I needed for the 46; plus the opportunity to also climb Nippletop, and share the hike with my dog Terra by avoiding AMR lands. I was intending to do it all solo, and was very grateful when Arm suggested we go together. I was told this was an easy bushwack, through open woods; but I knew it would present challenges for me, mostly mental; and I was right. Having a teacher for the way out was a huge bonus for me, and I am thankful. I knew I was gaining alot this day.

We began up the slabs and instantly understood how slippery and treacherous they had become with the recent humidity, heat and rain. Spence had warned me about the moss. I slipped early on and spent the rest of the day with a very green left butt cheek. The flumes were really incredible, at least four sets of wide flumes with huge pools of water at their bases make up the brook.

After about 500 feet or so of climbing we reached a fork, and took the right fork as we were advised. It petered out about a quarter of a mile later, and we took a westward bearing and followed it. At this point, Arm suggested I lead. Without really telling me what to do, Arm began dropping hints about how he works his way through a bushwack, and I listened carefully. I took note of my surroundings, in front and in back of me. I let my eye catch things, and then I made mental notes ... a big boulder; it stood out. A ferny meadow with a rough patch in the center where others may have stood, searching the sunlight through the trees for a glimpse of the col. The way the tree trunks slanted in the nearby stands of forest, and how close together or far apart they were...little things that I could remember for later, when I came back alone. Arm kept finding cobwebs, and we were sure not to break them.

AlpineSummit told me to keep my shadow in front of me, and the way would be clear. Arm reminded me, and I looked down and saw shadow self right in front of me, we were on track. Thanks, A.S.! The col was near, and after a quick scramble up some banks, there was the trail!

We searched for a "mark", and I spotted a tree trunk that had snapped off into splinters, right there on the side of the trail. I chose it. Then I looked back, due east, and studied a sightline into the woods that would reflect my way back in. Just for extra insurance, I lined up a small log in the orientation of my sightline. Somehow it just made me feel more confident to do some busywork.
We struck off for Dial. About a quarter mile up, I looked into the forest and it was thick and sprucey with lots of deadfall, YUP -- that's why the right fork is better than the left...it was starting to come together for me, in tiny peices...baby steps.

On Dial's summit, we met a group of three women --- and we told them about Grace Day. Arm took a picture of me and Terra with my homemade Grace Day sign; as well as a picture of Tom Rankin's sign next to the wooden sign for Dial. It was about 11:00am and we headed off for Nippletop. We made good time, Arm is a strong hiker and sometimes I bonked trying to keep up, and just decided to lag a few minutes behind.

We came across a pile of total crap on the trail. It pissed us both off. It was the kind of junk that only a non-hiker would carry; flip flops, wet cotton socks and teeshirts, a shaving case, and of all things; a freakin' oxygen mask thingy stolen off an airplane. There was also a few white kitchen trash bags. What a huge disrepect for nature. I told Arm I'd carry it out on my way back to Dial. What a terrible sight to see this crap laying all along the beautiful green and brown of the trail. <insert F'ing " A "word here in all caps>

We reached Nippletop at 11:45, right on time! There was another group of three women, all also budding 46ers. We told them about Grace Day and shared the summit with its views. Its a beautiful peak and the Leach Trail is just gorgeous. The Great Range was blanketed in a thick coating of white fluffy clouds along the very summits, but the cols were visible. I took a picture of Arm with his sign, and we said goodbye. Thanks Arm! I hope you enjoyed your anniversary Ale and the rest of your hike to Fish Hawk Cliffs.

I began my solitary journey back to Dial. A soft rain began to fall. The views of Dix were gorgeous, a soft cloud shrouded the Beckhorn, but the summit was clearing. I thought about the guys we met going out there, they were really great guys. I always feel a special comaradery when I meet other hikers on the trail, but today the connection ran so much deeper, thanks to Grace.

I reached the garbage pile, gathered it up and tied the white plastic bag to the back of my pack. It really slowed me down, it must have weighed ten pounds and was swinging back and forth with each step I took. I got back to Dial at exactly 1:03pm. The summit was empty. Terra, myself and the big bag of garbage sat on the summit for about ten minutes in the quiet of the day. I thought about all the other Grace Climbers and what we have all accomplished here today. I was proud of all of us.

I set off down the trail, searching for my mark. I began to mentally process all the things Arm had shown me, and I was setting my mind on the task of the bushwack. I began down a slope, and saw a man sitting on a rock, in the pose of The Thinking Man. I recognized Bob.

We talked, I asked where Kim was, he asked why I was carrying a big bag....we exchanged answers...we grooved on the good vibes of the day and the hike.....he offered to take the trash, I accepted and suggested he stash it for when he came back from Dial...we parted.

So....I had taken my eye off the trail. I kept walking and looking for my mark. I stepped over a log, that wasn't there before. I started going uphill. This isn't right. I reached Bear Den. Ok, this is wrong. Well, Bear Den is nice, it was good to know where I was. Trying not to be hard on myself, I turned and began walking back. How had I missed it? I went down the hill, I stepped over the log, the col flattened, I saw the rock Bob was on...then I saw up ahead, something white...the garbage bag! Bob had stashed it. And it was on my MARK! Bob is now my trail guardian angel, thanks Bob!

What a wonderful thing it is when we take the time to think about all the interconnected things in our lives, even the seemingly little things have signifigance. The whole day was a web of interconnected occurences; all building up into intricate connections, like the cobwebs that Arm kept noticing.

I looked into the woods, the trail-less woods. I felt really alone all of the sudden, even though I had been hiking alone for a few miles. I wondered, "how much is that dog fine *really*?". I took a deep breath. I looked to my right, and then to my left. Two teenage boys were hiking toward me, I smiled, said hello, and then stepped into the woods...vanished.

Seemed like there were more conifers..I was getting scratched up. Remain calm......breathe....and then I saw it, the big boulder. Thank you big boulder, I reached out and touched it, it was there, hence; I was here before. Feeling better now. Then the ferny meadow! I stood in the rough patch in the center, grounding myself....I was here before. Relief.

A soft hoot-purr rang out from my right...I turned, but saw nothing..it must be "one of dem der twenty bars" that Neil teased me about.

The texture of the forest floor changed, just in one spot. I took a closer look. It was a single stone, the very origin of the riverbed. Happy. Another one, then a double line, now three, now four, the channel widened, mosses appeared, tiny pools of water here and there. I found the stream. The finding felt so huge to me, even though its just an easy bushwack. I wasn't out of the woods, but I was finding my way. I hugged my dog.

I stepped near the banks and my leg slid down the side of the rock, and trapped my calf, my foot underwater. I yanked my leg out. I reached the Dix Trail. Deep exhale.

I sat in the brook, and filtered a few liters. I felt I had accomplished something, but my feelings were attenuated. I was humbled. Deeply. This little bushwack was a big experience for me, a big eye opener. I thought of those who had helped me and felt a deeper appreciation for what they had given me. Thanks. I said thanks. I may have said it aloud.

I never felt so good to be on a trail. I looked at the trail alot on the way back, and smiled, feeling a deep appreciation for a trail to follow. The humidity from saturday had broken. The sunlight was dappled as it broke through the hardwoods. The Dix Trail is so beautiful. I took my time. I just walked and enjoyed the beauty that was all around me. What a great day.

Grace Day.

Great Report una-dogger !

This is rich :

.......What a wonderful thing it is when we take the time to think about all the interconnected things in our lives, even the seemingly little things have signifigance.........

Way to go !