Wright's Peak with just snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikerdad

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying Wright's Peak and maybe Algonquin (time/weather permitting) on this Saturday with some family members. We won't have crampons so I was wondering if folks think we'd be OK with just snowshoes. I've only done two easy high peaks in winter (Cascade and Phelps) so I'm new at this winter hiking. Everyone's in pretty good shape so that's not an issue but we only have about a 7-8 hour window to do the hike. Thanks for the advice.

If your snowshoes have a fairly aggressive instep crampon, like most do, you shouldn't have any problem summitting both Wright and Algonquin. Algonquin is 3.7 miles from the lodge and I believe the spur trail to Wright is about 0.40 miles. Regardless of how long you think it might take to make the trip, set a turnaround time for your party and abide by it! With decent trail conditions both of these peaks are easibly doable in the time you mentioned.

Happy Trails!!

Ditto on Wright - You shouldn't have any problem. The only area that might be of concern is when Algonqiun summit is windblown and you are clattering about on rocks and ice with your snowshoes. Hiking poles are a definite requirement then.
The trails will likely be packed well and if it is a nice day (Barring high winds, heqvy snows and low visibility) if you are moving along at least 1.5 mph avg pace, you should be able to make the trip to Algonquin, Wright and back easily if you leave by 7:30AM.
This assumes you come down the same way you went up. Trying to go around Lake Colden is a bit different and I wouldn't recommend it in winter on your second peak trip.

Hope you have a great hike.
Rick

Wright

we did wright the weekend before last and the trail was in awesome shape, well packed and very few postholes - after the last weekend tho i don't know it's condition. i wore my less aggressive snowshoes and wished i'd worn the ones i have with huge crampons especially as i neered the summit. . i could have gotten by with just my crampons but followed the rules and wore my snowshoes. it was incredibly cold and windy on top so regardless of how nice a day it is remember to bring something to throw on if the conditions get nasty on top. the summit of wright is open rock so you'll take you snowshoes off to complete it