Non-trip non-report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
OK, I'll keep this brief since it's a non-trip, non-report...

AMSTony and I had planned to hit Welch-Dickey yesterday, which would've been my first hike since New Year's Day, and I believe only his sixth this year. Well, best laid plans...

I drove up on Saturday, and we agreed to meet to get in a 9.2 mile trail run as part of the training for our respective marathons. It was a glorious day out _ not a single cloud, not too humid, and we were making good time. Right about mile 8, I had to go to the bathroom wicked bad _ and of course, there wasn't a suitable place around to "void," so to speak _ so I started to slow down right around here and Tony started to outpace me. Then, right around mile 8.5, I come around a bend, and I see Tony off to the side, bent over and grabbing both knees.

At first, I figured he had started to cramp up. Then, as I got closer, he seemed to be grimacing and I thought, "scheizer, he's having a friggin' heart attack." Then, I saw some blood and wondered if he had collided with a mountain biker.

Alas, somewhere along the path, he had tumbled on something _ a root, perhaps, a rock, who knows, it happened so fast. His left hand had already ballooned and he had blood caked along his left side, which took the brunt of it. His left knee was banged up, bloodied and bruised. Blood even ended up on the bill of his cap.

Long story short: We booked it to a hospital in southern New Hampshire, where Tony got into an emergency room seemingly filled with other men who all had taken fish hooks into various body parts.

Needless to say _ the hike planned for the next day was canceled. If you'd like to enjoy, um, see, the evidence of Tony's tumble, here are pix from my camera phone: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560537448WiYtKI

Eeep! Heal up quick, Tony!

We'll have that root or rock removed.
:)

Yikes!

Yikes! Sorry to hear about Amstony's injuries. Does this mess up his marathon plans in addition to cancelling the hike you were going to do together? Hope he heals soon and painlessly. Thanks for posting Alpinista!

Ouch! Hey, if you ain't bleedin', you ain't tryin'. In all seriousness though, hope your friend heals up fast.

Greetings Lisa!

Ouch!! Looks like a nasty fall! Cuts do heal, however, and Tony should be as good as new very soon!

Feel better Tony!

Thanks for filling us in, Lisa!

Best,

So that's where you were!
I waited at the welch/dickey TH till noon!
just kidding... :rolleyes:
Just a scratch Tony? ( I hope you're not a lefty ).
That digger definatly earned you a free beverage at the next nashua B.N.
I would also like to buy one for Alpinista for those graphic photo's. :eek:

BTW, what was up with guy's and the fishing hook thing?

marty said:
We may have to change Lisa's nickname from The Editor to The Nurse :cool:

Nurse Ratched, perhaps??? ;)

This week will probably be a telling one for how much it messes up his marathon. Luckily, his is a week later than mine, and he's run a marathon before, so hopefully those two factors will help to avoid derailing his training.

David Metsky said:
Should have worn the Red Sox shirt.

Now, if I had done that, David, I really could have called them the Red Flops! (though don't get me started on my boys in pinstripes this year ...)

Stev-o said:
BTW, what was up with guy's and the fishing hook thing?

Apparently, it was such a beautiful weekend out that tons of folks were out fishing. And quite a few of them ended up having better luck catching themselves than the fish ...

Bobby said:
I still think Lisa pushed you

Busted! :eek:

Hope you're feeling better, Tony! Sorry we didn't get a chance to see and hike with you guys this weekend. Next time!

So let me get this right. You go running with her, and you fall. I go to Y*nkee stadium, my buddy breaks an ankle, and Liser gives me a body block. Liser moves to NYC, and the Y*nks start having a ton of ailments. Is it just me, or does anyone else see a pattern developing?

Glad it was relatively minor. The Gimp squad isn't a good group to join :eek:

Hi alpinista,

Nice to hear from you but sorry it had to be with such dire news. Hope you get well soon, Tony.

Ray

Hey folks, thanks for all the support!! You really are a great bunch :)

I ended up with a dislocated finger, another dislocated and fractured finger, numerous bruises and lacerations on my left hand, really banged up- but happily not dislocated or broken left shoulder- swollen and bruised and lacerated knee and a swollen, bruised and lacerated arm.

I felt bad for Alpinista, who drove from NY to Boston that day for trail running on Saturday and hike on Sunday, and meet up with the Mrs for some brews. She ended up with a long visit to an ER and babysitting me on Sunday! And even worse for Chanelgirl, who had to rush from work to meet us at the ER in Nashua Saturday.....wondering what the heck I did!! :eek: Washing off the blood inside the car from my cuts, bruises, and breaks was not fun. But no way I could leave her VW BUG with that mess inside.

As for the marathon, too early to tell if I can run RI or do one later on. The last one close enough is on the Cape on Oct. 28. After that work schedule and weather preclude any decent marathons near here. No Saturday 9-11, Memorial hike either. :(

I can always sign up for a half marathon instead. Portmouth has a nice one in early November. And maybe spend more time with ChanelGirl!

Things could have been allot worse- broken arm, leg, Head injury, who knows. I'll be off the road and trail for awhile, but probably not too long. I should be able to get in some late fall season hikes. Looking at this "glass half full" maybe I needed a rest!

I have doctor appointments most of this week and back to work at a reduced pace next week.

Last thing I want to do is join the Sherpa Gimp Squad party- OMG!!!! :eek:

Again, thanks for all the kind words. :) :)

Last edited:
Update!

I want to thank all of you who chimed in on the thread or PM'd me wishing me a speedy recovery from my injury :)

While I have recovered, I certainly was not speedy for the Hartford marathon last weekend....... I did finish the marathon, but the weeks of lost running and hiking time took its toll, as did a stomach virus- which sent breakfast all over the roadside at mile 6 while running (yup) and my knee blowing out at mile 20 to the finish. :eek:

But heck I did finish!

I'll be back onto the trails the end of this month. (Thats a warning for more rain) :p