Maybe off-topic: mystery bug

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zimmer

Reaction score
Is there an entymologist in the house?

Located in NH north of the Notch, outdoors in leaves; found rustling around after dark.

Anyone have any clue what this is? It's about 1 1/2" long. Almost looks cockroachish, but antennae are very short.

The Audubon Insects & Spiders guide doesn't show an exact match. The closest in shape I could find is a May beetle, which is one of many "June beetle" Phyllophaga species. It is described as having a buzzing flight.

Thanks. It didn't fly at all when I was watching it. What sort of scared me is that except for the antennae, it almost looked more like a few of the cockroach varieties than the beetles! It was sort of close to our house and if it's a roach, I'd be inclined to relocate it far, far away. :eek:

Yeah, that's a June Beetle. I don't think that's the scientific name...
They are all over here in the summer. They're about the clumsiest bug you'll ever see. My brother used to put them in my bed when I was a little kid. I don't really like them. :)

Don't think it's a June bug... no pincers...

This fellow lacks the wicked-looking pincers I am accustomed to seeing on your classic June bug... I saw something just like this (but I would have said smaller than 1.5 inches) right at the trailhead for Welch-Dickey on Sunday afternoon.

OK, so now that I have attempted to refute the ID... I haven't got anything better. Sorry...

American Cockroach

americancockroach.jpg

The first one looks like a horned fungus beetle. The second one looks like a carrion beetle.

JJHikes said:
The first one looks like a horned fungus beetle. The second one looks like a carrion beetle.

I agree on the first. I think the second is a marginated burying beetle (Nicrophorus marginatus) - they bury dead animals and lay their eggs on them. Ewwww!