Toe Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
I banged up one of my big toes last February and lost the toe nail. It seems like it is taking forever to grow back and my toe is still sensitive. For those of you who have done something similar (and I've read a bit here before, so I know you are out there), how long should I expect this to last before I can put on my boots without it bothering me? Thanks

My toes have taken a hammering over the years and I've pounded many of them into oblivion. :D

It takes months and months for mine to grow back. And they're never the same afterwards. Let's put it this way...no man will ever think my feet are seductive. :rolleyes:

Some I've lost multiple times over the years. I try to make sure my ankle laces are tight before descending but it only takes one trip down for me to ruin that year's nails.

Try padding the toe with moleskin to make it easier while it's growing back. Mine just seem to grow back now in layers. The new one under the old until the old one falls off. LIke I said, I'm not a candidate for a pedicure most years.

As BC said, it'll likely take a few months to grow back. However, for me, once the nail grows over the lunula, I'm fine. That part is sensitive!

I remember putting on my hiking socks a couple years ago. Both my big toe nails came off at the same time :eek: . I just put my socks on and went hiking, no problem.

I always have a celebration when the nail falls off after months and months of getting blacker and looser. Pat's had one black nail for 2 years now. He's about ready to paint his toenails the same color as mine.

I've had some that stayed sensitive for months, like yours. Others were little bother after the first couple of weeks. I now wear very roomy boots and don't have the problem much any more - and I take care not to kick any boulders on the way down.

Funny that this just came up....banged my toe this past Sat while walking/hiking with my wife here on Long Island.....was wearing TNF light hikers....hurt pretty good....never again wearing light hikers on a trail, I'm just to clumsy...It's the toe next to the big one....purple nail......will wait and see what happens...feel better..

Thanks for the insights. This is common with skiers too, which is how I did it to mine. And you are right, Artex, mine is sensitive right now, so I hope I get over that by ski season. I've learned my lesson-keep the nails cut really short to prevent the same thing happening again.