Replacement shockcord for tent poles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Can you find like 1/8" shockcord in say most general hardware stores? I can see from Campmor's website that they sell it per foot but just curious if one is able to find something similar in a hardware store? Don't want to make a special trip to Campmor just for that but would like to replace the shockcord before it goes pop.. I don't recall ever seeing shockcord, just basic nylon or poly rope at hardware stores...

Jay

About 30 miles round trip, or 1.2 gallons of premium gas or about $3 with the distinct possibility of donating more money to the Campmor gods once there... Plus I am not really in that neck of the woods so it's out of my way...

Jay

Have you tried a freebie from the tent manufacturer? I had a problems with one of my 10+ year old Sierra Clip flashlight tent poles and they fixed it for free even though it was just normal wear and tear.

Nope, no West Marine near me but I do have some other boating stores I can check out...

Daxs: It's not worth the hassle with MSR, the cord is like 40cents a foot at Campmor. I can wait anyway, since my BD is coming :D

Jay

Jay why dont you just call up campmore and have it sent. It will take a day to get. If the ship and Hand hurts you can always but something else. I am sure you can find a new piece of gear. You can never have enough toys. :D

I am probably going to hit Gander Mt tomorrow Sunday. I will see if they have any up there. If they have it I will pick some up for you.

Jay,

Penny-wise is dollar-foolish. Get the cord that is rated for cold temps. Make sure you ask about the rating before buying. There is nothing worse than having your cord fail at cold temps making it very difficult for setup and breakdown. I had that happen to me with my TNF Mountin 24 on cold night at -20°. I had to cut each section and insert the pole one section at a time. Imagine the fun I had in the morning.

I would suggest calling the tent manufacturer and I know MSR can be difficult at times. I have had excellent service from The North Face and I have not had to replace my cords since that eventful New Years night back in 99'. If Campmor, REI or other store front operations can not tell you the temperature rating...stay away and call the manufacturer. BTW... my cords are rated for -40°.

Good Luck,
Ed

I pass a West Marine ( and lots of otehr marine stores) every day on my way to and from work. If they ahve what you want I'll pick it up and mail it to you.

Call Campmor, ask Peter Coop if he can drop it off on his way home after work?

Was going to stop in Rock and something or other in New Paltz but didn't spend anytime outside the Mohonk Mnt house... too busy hiking when not at the wedding itself...

Guinness: didn't think of the coldness thing. The zoid has not seen use in winter yet...

Jay

Oooooohhh, to provide closure on this thread, I stopped by REI in Marlton, NJ on my way to visit my sister who lives by Cherry Hill and picked up some 1/8" shock cord.... Small store, one level, layed out in a big rectangle...

Jay