Grass (VT-9/6)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
Motored out from Orrington about 330AM. It was an uneventful 360 miles until I struggled a bit to find Rt 7A in Bennington. In the town's quest to be "Stars Hollow", most of their directional signs are small/quaint/antiquey.
PB's directions work well for this hike. The dirt roads to the end of Shaftsbury Hollow Rd are in good shape. After driving about 2.5 miles on Shaftsbury Hollow Rd, you come to a fork. Take the right branch and use care to drive another 0.7 miles over a very rough stretch to a clearing with a large red hunting camp and a number of large rocks placed along (not across)the road-park there.
The logging road to the col between Grass and Spruce is well defined for it's entire length. I walked to the obvious high point of the col ( about 2575')just beyond the rusted out Subaru and turned into the woods on a 308 degree bearing (true). This was my easiest bushwack in a long time. It's less than 0.5 miles to the summit on a modest slope through not very thick deciduous trees. The top is large, fairly flat,totally wooded and will require a bit of search for the jar. It's hanging from a tree about 150' further "back" from the rock ledge described by PB and very obvious once you get close-there is a good snowmobile? path from the other side of the peak that passes right next to the jar. The register had about a dozen names from the last two summer seasons (mostly hunters/locals?) and included Nate, Oncoman and Pamola("trendy"? :) ).-a fun hike today
I made my way quickly back to the car and since the hike had taken less time than expected, drove to Adams to do Greylock by the Cheshire Harbor Trail-a totally in the woods workout for my first and last visit to this summit. The auto road up the peak is undergoing extensive work and the summit was devoid of humans; nobody anywhere near the monolith or any sign of life in the AMC structures--kind of weird.
I had planned to spend the night car camping (and do Greylock in the AM), but foolishly decided to drive home--that was the toughest part of the day as I arrived back in Orrington at 1230AM after a 21 hour day.

[ this pales a bit beside the spectacular Mt Blanc stuff just posted here :)]

jim

Last edited:
buckyball1 said:
Motored out from Orrington about 330AM. It was an uneventful 360 miles
Ugh...

buckyball1 said:
to do Greylock by the Cheshire Harbor Trail-a totally in the woods workout for my first and last visit to this summit. The auto road up the peak is undergoing extensive work and the summit was devoid of humans; nobody anywhere near the monolith or any sign of life in
Hey, I was on Greylock yesterday. You probably got there after I did.

-Dr. Wu

Surprise, surprise, Jim, that snowmobile track next to the jar-bearing tree connects with a network that leads eventually to a road in the valley off to the east. Ergo, it's not a bushwhack peak (unless you choose to make it one)!