Long Path Map(s)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a map or map set for the NY Long Path?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
We started discussing a Long Path map on a Catskill trip report thread over at ADK High Peaks, so I thought I'd take a little poll. If the Trail Conference or someone else were to publish a map or map set of the complete New York Long Path corridor, would you purchase it? Please vote and discuss.

Matt

mcorsar said:
We started discussing a Long Path map on a Catskill trip report thread over at ADK High Peaks, so I thought I'd take a little poll. If the Trail Conference or someone else were to publish a map or map set of the complete New York Long Path corridor, would you purchase it? Please vote and discuss.

Matt

I have the 2005 Long Path Guide published by the NY-NJ Trail Conference. It would be nice if they published a set of maps ala the Appalachian Trail guides. I love maps. :)

It would be nice but the trail is changing all the time. I think it would be a waste to do it now. Once the trail is complete and no re-routes are nessasary then a map set would be ideal.

I think the way the book is, is ok but I think the best way to do a map with a guide is the way the Green Mt club does their Long trail guide, at least the 24th edition. Not sure if they do it that way anymore but it gives a pretty good topo map colored with trail and side trails and all the info you need and then has detailed decriptions. Then for yearly updates they have the end to enders guide. The long path should follow something similar, especially the small pocket size book and the larger maps for the more poular parks.

Yes, I would buy it. I love maps as well and hope to fastpack the Long Path one of these days. Couple other comments......

In E. Schlimmer's Thru-Hiker's Guide to America for each trail described he lists its pros and cons (with list headers of "To go" and "Or not to go"). The absence of detailed maps is one of his reasons NOT to hike this trail.

Years ago, when the Dartmouth Outing Club was in the process of relocating major sections of the AT, they had a very basic brochure-type map of their section, with the proposed routes shown as dashed lines. Until the Long Path is complete, perhaps this could be an option.

www.runsuerun.blogspot.com