New book on White Mountains - any input?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Speaking of books – I read an article today about a just published second volume called Our Mountain Trips Part II (by Ben and Jane English). I don’t remember hearing about Part I. Has anyone seen or read either? They sound interesting and I checked the Mountain Wanderer site which has them listed for $19.95 in paperback (more for hardcover). Quote from the article, “Grandchildren of long ago trampers, Ida and Walter James, have published two volumes, rich with photographs and chronicles dating to 1899.” They are from handwritten journals of hiking in the White Mountains from 1899 to 1926. I am intrigued.

YES, they are both excellent publications! I picked up Volume 2 in August. The sections on their hikes in the Northern Presi's are very good.

"Our Mountain Trips"

Hi Carole,
I have read both volumes and they are excellent--especially if you enjoy history. Often, while hiking along trails they once 'tramped' I look about and 'see' the area as they described it as it was 100 years ago. The photos of shelters and other long-gone structures, particularly in Volume II, are a treat in and of themselves.
June

Excellent!

I was taken under a spell while reading the first volume. I made believe I was the author reliving my experiences. What a time it must have been to explore the Whites. I loved every page and will read it again. I can't wait to read the 2nd volume.

KDT

Thank you for your replies. I stopped in Mountain Wanderer today after my hike and picked up both copies and had a nice conversation with Steve Smith.

I'm looking forward to reading them as I enjoyed other books along that line, such as "Mountain Summers", "Our Last Backpack", "Lucy Crawford's History of the White Mountains", "We Took to the Woods", ...

Warning, "late reply" :D

I picked up part 1 about 10 days ago, and due to time restraints I have only been able to read about 1/2 of the book.

All I have to say is that it's very fascinating! It's a great snapshot of time with familiar places. These people were doing what we do, only with tougher circumstances. Nothing like heading to the Whites for a 2 week backpack via horse and buggy, while carrying most of their gear in a "doughnut" (rolled up blanket full of gear strapped around them like a bandolier!) :)

I do plan on looking for a few of their re-used campsites (though there are slim chances of finding any remnants).

Let us know if you find Patty-cake camp!

Well, I have gone through both books already. They are great!! The pictures that is. :D Now I'm going to start reading them. :)

Update

I finished reading both volumes and plan to read through them again soon. I read them slowly, maybe a trip or two at a time so as to study the pictures, look at maps and envision many places familiar to me. It is a delightful glimpse into life 100 years ago, historical references and subtle humor. Let me share some excerpts if I’ve raised your curiosity…..

horse and buggy travel to the mountains [1899]: “There was an old cellar hole and deserted barn beside the road, so we took him out of the buggy, fastened him to the barn door and tried to have him eat the oats from his feed bag, but he foolishly kept tossing up his head, thus bidding fair to spill the larger part of his supper. Taking pity on his ignorance, we held up the bag for him until the last oat was munched – and he did not seem to hurry, either. I never realized before how long it takes a horse to eat a few oats.”
[Something to think about when you are at a slow pump filling up your gas tank.]

sleeping in self made lean-to [1903]: “The only spot I could find where I could ‘stay put’ was on the top of a particularly large spruce bough, which made its presence evident the whole length of my back bone. As I was dropping off to sleep again, I rolled over and struck against a large bunch about half way between my shoulder and hip. I thought it must be a bunch of the blankets tangled up and punched it with my fist. When my fist struck it, its hardness convinced me that it was not blankets, and the real nature of the obstacle was made plain to me by James yelling out at the same time, ‘Stop it! What are you hitting my head for?’”

women’s attire: [1904] “We had intended to go to Berry’s before returning to camp, but as Eleanor and I had on our regulation outfit – namely, real men’s pants – we had been planning to sit down behind the shed and let Walter buy crackers and milk for us. As we were all in such a famished state, a hearty dinner now seemed to be what we must have, so, throwing away our poles, we set off unmindful of our attire. Immediately our spirits rose, and anticipation of a good dinner of Mrs. Berry’s cooking was sufficient to lend speed to our feet, so that the two miles were soon passed. As we neared the house, Eleanor and I had a growing consciousness that we were not quite presentable, in case the boarders were around. It was showery all the morning, and we had our rubber capes, which we now fastened around our waists, as well as possible, but even then we presented a strange appearance. As we rounded the corner of the shed, sure enough, there was Mr. Whittemore, a Harvard senior, looking out of the window at us. As carelessly as possible, we sank to the ground, shaking with laughter, though trying to look demure, while Walter went to seek Mr. Berry.”
[1905] “Coming down through the Notch, Mable’s long skirt so impeded her progress that a surgical operation was performed on the skirt, by means of a dirk in the hands of Mr. Heuter, which left the skirt looking a little fringy around the bottom, but made it far more comfortable for tramping.”

Henryville [1905]: “Monday morning we met the Sanderson’s and went to North Woodstock in season to take the 8:30 train for Henryville. We had been told not to miss the ride on the lumber railroad, and that the mills were also interesting. But when we reached there, Mr. Henry refused permits for the ladies and children to go anywhere, so we all left in disgust. Henryville is certainly a dreary, uninteresting place as one could well imagine.”

[1905] An interesting tale regarding the opening of Knowles (Liberty) and Brook Paths up Chocorua.

Dinner [1914]: “After having eaten their lunch up under the side of Eagle Cliff, they took the train via Wing Road to Bowman Station in Randolph. Arriving here about 6:00, they set out up the Israel Ridge Path for Cascade Camp. Darkness very soon overtook them – black darkness, for the woods were thick, and there was no moon. A rough tramp they would have had if the little, pocket flash lamp had not served them faithfully. About 8:00, they reached the camp, found it unoccupied, and proceeded to fire up for dinner. Bob thought he wanted some beans, put a can into the fire, and forgot that water changes to steam when subjected to the proper heat. They were both forcibly reminded of the fact by a loud band, followed by a shower of beans. Careful search the next day failed to reveal any sign of the can, but beans were in evidence everywhere.”

Sounds like some nice reading.
Went to the local book store to order them, but the fellow couldn't find them.
So we looked up this thread in the bookstore to double check I had the title and authors correct.
Even with the info the fellow couldn't find them..are they published by Bondcliff ?
I know I'll be up at the Wanderer but thought it would be easier to go local down here. thanks

Thanks...I did stop by the Wanderer today after my hike and picked up both copies ....they look great . I'm anxious to tie into them.

Also very nice to talk with Steven Smith, he is such a knowledgeable guy with an excellent memory for detail. (and of course he remembered meeting you just a little while ago)
It has been a couple of years since I've been there, I should go more often.
thanks again

Excellent

I read vol. I and loved it. It brings you back in time. Thanks for the tip that vol. II is available, I'll definetly pick up a copy. :)

I received a very nice email from Ben English, Jr. (co-editor of the books and grandson of the journalists). I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing that he is a regular reader of these forums and stated, “it is nice to hear, and read, reactions to my grandparents' writings and photographs.”

So let me again say I highly recommend these two volumes and suggest others who have read them share their thoughts. I know I am not alone when I say I very much appreciate the effort that went into publishing these journals and delight that they were shared rather than just kept within the family.

spider solo said:
Thanks...I did stop by the Wanderer today after my hike and picked up both copies ....they look great . I'm anxious to tie into them.

Also very nice to talk with Steven Smith, he is such a knowledgeable guy with an excellent memory for detail. (and of course he remembered meeting you just a little while ago)
I hope it was the conversation he remembered. :)

After reading this thread, I ordered the second volume for the Lamson Library at PSU. I also plan to buy a personal copy of both volumes.