Foliage This Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Only have one shot to get to the daks this fall. I was wondering if anyone had insight as to whether leaves where running late this year. Or if this wet cool weather we are having may change that.

I am shooting for the weekend of Oct5-7

I will also do a google search to see what I can pick up...

It's started -- I was in the High Peaks yesterday and drove through Saranac/Tupper/Long/Blue Mt Lakes and Old Forge on the way back. How much is hard to say -- perhaps 10-15% change. Some very red trees, a little more yellow, much more green still.

Anyone have any reports for the Catskills yet? Usually the 12th is about peak. Has it started at all?

paul ron said:
Anyone have any reports for the Catskills yet? Usually the 12th is about peak. Has it started at all?
The Catskills are still mostly green. I was on Panther last Wednesday and there was barely a turned leaf. The forecast through the end of September is for above average temperatures (both day and night). In my estimation the Catskills may be 3-5 days late this year.

I was at Mohonk in the Shawangunks yesterday. It was still 99.9% green, and probably will be late turning this year also.

The late period of summer was quite dry this year. That normally indicates a better than average foliage season. Its tough to predict as wind and rain at the wrong time can alter everything.

Catskill update

I hiked Hunter in the northern Catskills on Thursday, 9/20. Perhaps 5% of the leaves have turned, and those that have are on the tops of trees and not fully vibrant. It is still basically green walking through the forest.

About 50% of the birch leaves on the summit of Hunter have already dropped which is typical for Hunter. Last year the summit hardwoods on Hunter were bare on 9/22. Fall foliage on the higher summits in the Catskills s generally not that good. The best autumn colors are usually on the slopes.

Along higher elevation highways in the northern Catskills the change might be as much as 10% due to stress level and drier soil. The Kaaterskill and Platte Cloves are still very green.

Last edited:
On Black Dome on 09/20, birches above 3500 are turning & some leaves are falling. Not real vibrant looking over at Blackhead.

The experts are saying low color so far, but I did some leaf peeping around the periphery of the Adirondacks over the weekend and I thought the foliage was stunning in the Speculator/Indian Lake area. IMO the mild weather and low wind has kept the early turners from falling. Not peak yet but the ones that had turned were brilliant. Also across Blue Ridge Rd to Newcomb and Long Lake. Not as good from there north to Tupper and across to Saranac and Lake Placid.

I was in the Old Forge area last week and in some areas about 25% change. I hiked Vandewacker outside of Newcomb and was surprised at how little change in colors in that area. Some golds but mostly green.