Where Would You Live?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Here's a random question I just love to ask new people that I meet:

If you had 1 full year to live wherever you wanted in the USA or Canada, and had no commitments whatsoever (personal or financial), where would you live, and why?

The best answers will be towns close to tons of hiking ;)

P.S. For me, it would probably be Lincoln, New Hampshire, or Banff, Alberta, or Moab, Utah, as they are each excellent base camps for tons of year-round activities.

Last edited:
Live

If I could really and truly stay anywhere, I'd want to live at the Observatory on the top of Mount Washington for a year. I only get to stay a week at a time through their volunteer program, but it is an awesome experience every time.

The weather, the views, the sunrises/sunsets/ moonrise/moonsets, the stars and planets, the milky way. Full moon on an undercast. A foggy moonbow. A Brocken Spectre. The shadow of the mountain crossing the Belt of Venus. The aurora borealis. Fireworks in a dozen towns around the 4th, and mid-winter Saturday nights on the ski slopes. The Portland headlight. And these are just the things you can see from sun down to sun up!

And the people there! They all want to be there and are extremely enthused about what they do! So different from where I work.

KDT

Homer, AK
Missoula, MT
Northeast Harbor, ME

I'd love to be able to live in Yellowstone or Denali, year-round, working on some sort of wildlife survey, or simply taking photos.

Anywhere in the world, forgetting about trivial financial issues? My choice would be Montreux or, better yet, one of the surrounding villages in the vineyard country of Lavaux. Lakeside living with great views, good weather, and less than two hours from spectacular hiking (or mountaineering for those who can) country.

Reality check: I live just south of Lincoln, NH, and would love to move to Randolph, NH, at the foot of the northern Presis. But I have too many local friends, and too many ties to the Boston area to move so far north.

So when all is said and done, I am perfectly happy where I am :) :) :)

Colorado. Maybe Boulder (near lots of mountains, also many non-hiking activities).

KDT is very lucky!

I can"t complain I already live close to the Mountains, but since the grass is allways greener somewhere else, I suppose Sugar Hill/Franconia NH. That way I wouldn't have to move far :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

In the U.S. - probably either Telluride CO or Sante Fe NM, most likely S. Fe for the climate and nightlife... :D

Elsewhere - Coyhaique Alto, Aisen Province (Region XI), Chile S.A. for the sheer exhilaration (and vino tinto)... ;)

Having just completed living in Bethlehem for a little over a year, I have to say I'm really happy here. Despite being a small town, it's very convenient and nicer to walk around than Lincoln. My work takes me to five towns in the great north woods, but I have no desire to move further north. I like it here.

Ideally I'd like to be closer to the ocean, as well as within proximity to the mountains, so moving further east may be in the future.....

....if we can contemplate looking outside North America for a moment, for a place that would include both mountains and ocean nearby, New Zealand looks appealing, and I'd also go back to Italy in a heartbeat! A year in either of those places would be awesome!

1) Deep, deep, deep (did I mention deep :D ) in the Alaskan bush
2) Pittsburgh, NH
3)Canadian Arctic Tundra....don't really care where

Why? Plain and simply.....few people and lots of solitude (though Pittsburgh offers more modern convenience than the other two ;) .) I would spend my days hiking, hunting, fishing, walking around aimlessly exploring and just plain living life away from the rat race.

Brian

I'd be right back home in Jefferson NH. Other spots would be Ouray, CO, or somewhere in the deep crevices of the Big Island of Hawai'i. The people are fantastic.Yes there is hiking, there is snow, and no other place have I been where people are as connected and take pride in their land as the natives do outside of New Englanders. (NH in particular, of course!)Outside of the US,let's see, somewhere in the Scandanavian countries.

Elsewhere?

Stanley Idaho at the base of the Sawtooth Range or Monticello Utah or Pagosa Springs Colorado or here in Wentworth New Hampster.