Where Would You Live?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Townie said:
Hey Wu, "everybody knows THIS is nowhere." ;)
I have often times thought about leaving New England and someday I hope to. But I'm not much of a dreamer and don't like to think ahead and just want to focus on what the F I'm doing now.

Right now I'm really enjoying the Pioneer Valley. Prior locations (Boston, Quincy, Bangor ME, Potsdam NY, Piscataway NJ) I always felt like a visitor and was never much interested in the location. But now I'm really digging the landscape and history of my area and other things too. So, for the time being, I don't want to leave. I like all the trees and stuff and oh, I've also ID'd about 35 different birds species right from my house, including a pair of pileated wood peckers that landed about 10' from where I was standing.

-Dr. Wu

Interesting that the OP says "USA or Canada" and so many people chose elsewhere. Not a crime, just interesting.

Kevin Rooney, not fair to include that picture. Not fair at all. :)

If I could go one full year without seeing/hearing motorcycles, obnoxious drunks, loud/aggressive dogs, and rap "music", that would be heaven enough for me. But as to the locations, I would choose:
--Banff/Jasper area
--Teton/Yellowstone area. In the winter I'd tag along with Tom Murphy on his "Winter in Yellowstone" excursions.
--Southern Utah

I'm pretty happy where I am. Lots of woods behind my house, great places to run, mountains and coast close by. Why get greedy? :D :p :)

I have lived in North Woodstock, NH year round. I lived in Stowe, VT for a year, the Mad River Valley, Warren and Fayston, VT for 3 years. I lived in Kings Beach, Homewood, and Tamoha, CA for 3 winters while summering in Cotuit, MA.

I live in Methuen, MA now. I like the idea of living in Jackson, WY, or Glenwood, CO, or Breckenridge, CO. $$$ no object? Then Aspen, CO, bluebells in the back yard!

I'm very happy where I am in Nottingham, NH. Of course I would love to have more land and the ability to raise some livestock. But if I could live anywhere else I would have to say:

Scottish Highlands
Northern Kingdom VT
Salida, CO
another vote for Banff

US:
Leavenworth or Bellingham, WA
Key West, FL (right on, jaytrek)
somewhere in CO
N Conway, NH

Outside:
Switzerland

Hey, it's unusual for me to cast a dark cloud, but this struck me. We are all (myself included) celebrating these great places where we either live now, or would live, and actually probably *could* live if we really tried. Meanwhile, half of the world's population lives in places that could fairly be categorized as "Hell," and they don't have a choice about it. Never forget how lucky you are to be living in the US, or Canada, or Switzerland, or New Zealand, as opposed to Somalia, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, or Cambodia (for example).

Would anyone want to live on a different planet? Like Mars or Venus? Or maybe a space station or something. I think I'd prefer traveling around to different Solar Systems on a space cruiser than having to gather up all my crap and haul it somewhere in the US or even abroad. Moving stinks. Space travel is much better and the universe is a much bigger place than anywhere in the US.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I haven't travel much, and I can't talk about the places I never been.

I visited Banff, but I wouldn't live ther, it's way too crowded. I can't imagine myself being stuck in ''wild-animals-traffic-jams'' each time I go to the grocery store.

I visited Chamonix, but I was too young to really get it. Annecy was awesome though.

Vancouver was nice. It's close to Seattle, that could be fun. But it rains all the time.

So I say Vergennes, VT for now.

I'll probably change my mind by the time I can actually move away. But Montreal is great, Mont-Royal is not a big mountain, but it's right in downtown, and that's very cool :cool:

A new home for one year?

This shows my bias,

Jasper AB (It is in the national park so residency is restricted. I checked.)
Field, BC
Huntsville, ON
Intervale, NH

For one year, any small town on the outskirts of Rome, Paris, Dublin, Palermo, or Seville. For an extended holiday, Myanmar, Bora Bora, Saint Petersburg, Costa Rica, or Antarctica. Having visited all these places except Antarctica, I’m content with living in Thornton.

TCD said:
Hey, it's unusual for me to cast a dark cloud, but this struck me. We are all (myself included) celebrating these great places where we either live now, or would live, and actually probably *could* live if we really tried. Meanwhile, half of the world's population lives in places that could fairly be categorized as "Hell," and they don't have a choice about it. Never forget how lucky you are to be living in the US, or Canada, or Switzerland, or New Zealand, as opposed to Somalia, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, or Cambodia (for example).

Very true, but I was struck by the the opposite point - how very many people here that say they are happy living where they are!

dr_wu002 said:
I have often times thought about leaving New England and someday I hope to.
I wasn't commenting on New England (where I've lived all my life), just quoting Neil Young. :eek: :D

I chose Tamworth, NH - I'm halfway between the lake and the southern Whites. Really nice this time of year/spring when there aren't many people on the 16 corridor. When there are, I can easily get to most of the Sandwich Range within minutes.

And no state sales tax or income tax.

The one advantage of telecommuting.

Out side the US and Canada..That's easy if your into hiking ,climbing,skiing, wine,mid afternoon naps and good looking just about everything....Chamonix with out a doubt :D

Inside the US or Canada...Jackson Hole :rolleyes: maybe someday :cool:

Last edited:
TCD said:
Never forget how lucky you are to be living in the US, or Canada, or Switzerland, or New Zealand, as opposed to Somalia, Bangladesh, Kazakhstan, or Cambodia (for example).

I actually have lived in Kazakstan, and would love to go back! But, point taken. ;)

I've also lived in Boulder, Colorado, South Lake Tahoe, Park City, Utah, and a few places in wonderful New England, so I'm pretty spoiled. If I had an all-expense paid year off, I would go for either Vancouver, BC, Tahoe north shore, Telluride, or Crested Butte, Colorado.

Woad Twip!!

Having driven across the country--east/west and north/south 4-5 times over the past couple of years, I realize that I'm actually happiest when out wandering around, so I think a splendid time could be had by doing a one-year road trip, i.e. living out of my car and sleeping in a tent. (Yes, I love sleeping in a tent and using a solar shower :) )

That said, if I were to live one year in one place, Stehekin WA, would be right up there.

I can say with certainty that I will never, ever live in Guymon OK, Lamar CO, or Tijuana Mexico. :D

Stinky.wanderlust.feet

www.runsuerun.blogspot.com

Awesome question!

Three places that I can definitely see myself living someday are: :)

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Bend, Oregon,
Killarny, Ireland

The places that I will NEVER live (or even be buried at) :D

El Paso, Texas
Newark, New Jersey
Utica, New York

From what I have seen of this world, there are certainly many more places that are "undesirable" to live at than "desirable" :eek:

I haven't really travelled enough to be able to make a good choice on this... loved Essex Junction VT when I was a kid there in the 1950s but I know it's changed a lot...

Interesting that NOBODY has mentioned anything in the Adirondacks. A place like Keene Valley, or Keene, maybe, ought to appeal to someone. Any particular reason for this non-New-York outcome?

PS: My ID says Newcomb but that's just a summer location. I definitely wouldn't want to retire there.