The day was fine to go for #29, Jefferson 9/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
I've been trying to get out hiking for about two weeks now, but scheduling and the weather weren't cooperative. Sapblatt invited me to go on his waterfall hike on Saturday, but there was soccer with my daughter and then work. I'm sorry I missed that one :D.

I left Boston about 4:30 PM on Sunday, and set up camp on Jefferson Notch Road. By 8 I was settled in my tent and managed to pick up the Patriots game on my walk man. I drifted off to sleep listening to the Chargers get beat up on. I got up about 6 and ate, then headed to the Caps Ridge trailhead, and was on the trail a little before 7.

The trail was in great shape, muddy in spots, but with the rain of the past week, things could have been worse. It was a steady climb, with the occasional flat spots. The views from the glacial pothole area were outstanding, along the Southern Presidentials and into the valley, across to the western Whites. Temps were in the 50's, and a light breeze was blowing.

The climb over the Caps was interesting. All I could think of was "how the hell am I going to get down this?" Then I decided to jump off that bridge when I got to it and just enjoy the scrambling. It was fun. I enjoy scrambles, it's a different type of challenge. I got through the Caps with no problems, then I began to notice rime ice some rocks, the sun had not yet cleared the ridge. I had stabilicers with me, but I didn't think I needed them at this time. Picking my way upward, I noticed some snow hiding in the shadow of the rocks. Winter is coming to the Northern Presi's, get ready!

On to the summit, then down to the giant cairn. The cairn was also covered with rime ice. It was pretty to see, and I got some interesting pictures of it. I also dropped and did ten push-ups in honor of Mats. I stayed at the summit for about 20 minutes, I would have loved to stay longer, but the deal I made with my wife was that I would be home by 3:30 PM, so I had to head down.

The hike down wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did some butt sliding in places, all the while taking in the awesome views. I ran into about 10 people all day, which surprised me. I figured I'd be alone, but it was a very nice day to be out. If I had to work, I would have called in sick.

Once in the trees, I was able to pick up the pace a little, and made it to the parking lot in a little over two hours. I did pause for a short time at the potholes, and spoke with two women who were having lunch, and one gentleman on the way up.

It was strange to finish a peak that fast, but it was well worth the effort. I had great weather and I was able to knock #29 off of my list.

Pictures from Jefferson

Yo Bobby -
Mike sent a few of us an email today after you gave him a post-hike cellphone call. We were quite jealous. :p

I am even more jealous afte reading your TR and seeing those kick-ass pix. Great shots and mid-September snow and rime to boot :cool:

Congrats on #29.

Hope to hike with you soon.
Marty

Last edited:
Hey Bobby,

Only 19 to go, not bad. With the early start and hiking on the west side of the mountain, I'll bet it was a little cool until you found some sun exposure. I really enjoyed the report and pictures. I'm hopeful to get that hike in before the road is closed for the winter season.

Thanks for sharing the hike.

Earl

Way cool

Bobby -
Very similar views to my Saturday hike - :D
Does it actually count for the list if there are views and it is not raining? ;)
Seriously - great report and pics from one of my favorite trails and peaks - way cool!
I'll get you numbers 30-34 in a couple of weeks!

I'm jealous!

I'm so envious that you got to hike yesterday. The weather was gorgeous! I'm glad you enjoyed the Caps Ridge trail. It's one of my favorites. What a great way to spend yesterday. Glad you had fun! I'm jealous!

Nice! That's a beautiful route - I'm glad you had such a great day up there.

marty said:
Yo Bobby -
Mike sent a few of us an email today after you gave him a post-hike cellphone call. We were quite jealous. :p

I am even more jealous afte reading your TR and seeing those kick-ass pix. Great shots and mid-September snow and rime to boot :cool:

Congrats on #29.

Hope to hike with you soon.
Marty

After reading Mike's report from Saturday, I had to call him at work and let him know about this hike. I know it was mean, but hey.....