A hike of a lifetime

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBear

Reaction score
Sometime in 2003, someone started a thread asking for folks to share their stories of how they got hooked on hiking. I posted this account:

Although I hiked Mt. Washington in 1989 I was not hooked. In fact, I didn’t hike anything else until May 1997. My daughter was just home from her sophomore year in college and days from leaving to become a white water rafting guide. She had no money and was looking for a way to give me something for Mother’s Day that wouldn’t cost her anything. I had planned on hiking Mt. Willard with a group of people and asked her to join me.

The day was “iffy” weather-wise, but we headed up anyway. It rained off and on until we got to the notch when it began to snow. We were so excited as we got out of the car. The trail was clear and dry for about ½ mile and then we encountered snow of increasing depth as we hiked to the view on Mt. Willard. The snow continued to fall – very lightly and softly. There was an incredible beauty to the forest with the snow clinging to the branches of the trees and that soft hushed sound as the snow fell. It felt like we were in an enchanted woods.

When we got to the famous viewpoint, there was no view. Only the white of the low clouds. It didn’t matter. We sat and ate lunch and marveled at how it felt as though we were at the edge of the world.

At the time, Stephanie had no idea the impact of the gift she gave me that year. I was just looking for her company that day, and her enthusiasm for the hike ended up giving me the best Mother's Day gift that I have ever received. I think of her and this hike every time I step on a trail.

I was unable to make the Fall Gathering 9.99999999999 this past weekend. While I missed all of you wonderful folks, I was involved in another festive gathering and on Saturday afternoon at 4:30, my daughter and I went on a different kind of hike – one that truly is a hike of a lifetime. Although the trail to get here was rather long and winding and full of obstacles, this part of the path was short, probably less than 150 feet with maybe a foot of elevation gain. The weather was perfect, bright and sunny, temps in the 70’s. The setting was beautiful. The "trail" was dry with no blowdowns or other obstacles to negotiate, except, perhaps our own feet, which felt clumsy from our own excitement and nervousness. I preceded her up the path, but just short of the end, I turned and stepped aside and became an observer now as Stephanie made her way to the end of this trail and towards the beginning of an adventure of a lifetime!

Photos here: Photos

Thanks for sharing that. Maybe someday her daughter will give her a similar gift on a Mother's Day.

Kris what a beautiful story.
Thanks so much for sharing.
The slide show was great.
Now I wish you many..many grandchildren. :)

This was actually a weekend event (you VFTT'rs would appreciate all the partying that went on). The location is a girls' camp during the summer - Fernwood Cove - located in Harrison, Maine. It truly is an idyllic setting. The cabins were available (at no charge) to friends and families since my daughter and now son-in-law didn't want anyone drinking and driving.

Festivities began Friday evening with a BBQ for everyone who wanted to attend (not just restricted to the wedding party), followed by special entertainment - my daughter's belly dancing troupe (she danced).

Then we had a big fire, s'mores, beer, wine, stories, music 'til around 2:30 am or so. The next day, we served breakfast and then decorated for the wedding. Some people had a chance to play volleyball and tennis, and there were mountain biking trails, hiking trails, canoes, kayaks, and sunrays for people to use.

Then the wedding followed by a feast and then dancing and the fire again until whenever! I tumbled into bed around 1:30 am, and rumor had it that someone stayed up to watch the sunrise, although most went to bed around 2:30 or 3.

It was a fabulous weekend. More photos here: Photos

Congratulations Kris!!!! Beautiful trip report, and oh, I know this one's been all about the journey, not just the destination :) What a gorgeous weekend you had! SO happy for you all!

Katie

Great job mate! Congrats on raising a fine daughter and throwing what looks like one fine celebration. Loved the TR! Health, wealth and happiness to Stephanie and her new husband.

Congratulations, Kris!
The smiles in the pix told the story.
Sure did look like a Gathering....
Bur who got the black apron??!

Great looking wedding, Kris! Personally, I love weddings that are in outdoor settings. John and I were married in my Dad's garden in northern Minnesota, followed by a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters!
Love the cupcakes! Fun to see the pics! Congrats to the happy couple and proud Mom! :)

Congrats, Kris, to you and your daughter. Will we see you out on the trails again soon?