Winter route up Cliff?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchybar

Reaction score
Hi gang

Thinking of hiking Cliff and Redfield on tuesday then Allen on wednesday. These are new peaks for me and would put me in the home stretch for the 46. Through this
board I have learned of a winter approach to Cliff from the west. I would be packing in from the Loj. I have three questions

1) Where does it Start? for example in relation to the Livingston Pond Leanto.

2) Is the lake likely to be hike able this time of the year?. (route planning and campsite selection).

3) How likely is bear activity in the area this late in winter? (gorp in the tent at night)

Thanks.

The winter route up Cliff cuts across the Flowed Lands and goes up Cliff's western side. It saves the long walk around past Marshall, across the dam, etc. I haven't been to the Adirondacks lately, so I don't know how thick the ice is now, or if you can trust it.

Apparently there's also a lot of blowdown on that western side of Cliff that's impassable most of the year, but a lot of snow covers it and makes it walkable. Of course, there's a lot of blowdown on the eastern side of Cliff, too, but there's a route through it.

Cliff

There was a very informative thread about this route in January. If you do a search here for "Cliff", you'll find plenty of good info. -ALG

Cliff & Redfield.

Hi Couchybar.

You are lucky You have the choice of the road to Cliff (Flowed Land or the usual path) and the Redfiel path same a highway...

Have a good trip.

Pinpin Junior.;)

Colden & Flowed lands solid

I skied up from Upper Works Sat. 3/13 and all bodies of water were still frozen with no slush seen. The snow was 36" deep around Lake Colden. There were ski or snowshoe tracks in many places and several lean-tos were occupied. Numerous peak-baggers I suspect. Several of those who had signed in Friday & Saturday were headed to Cliff & Redfield.

Thanks guys/gals for the helpful responses. I did a search and Pinpin Juniors 1/24
post giving details on finding the route. Thanks also for breaking the trail :) I hope
that I can take advantage of it. Just came down with a cold and fever and lost my
voice to boot. Think that I am recovering but must convince the other of this. Might
drop the tent and use the lean-tos or just day hike out of the Loj to save weight
weight if I don't feel more than 80%

Couchybar
A group of us did Cliff 3/14 and the trail is suberb now. It is hard packed and fast to Flowed Lands and once across Flowed Lands it is very easy to follow and very open for a trail on Cliff. If you were at the trail head early enough this would be a easy day hike, most of the people that did it over the weekend did it as a day hike and were a ton at least 6 groups. Hope you you feel better and get the chance to go.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. They all proved invaluable. I did a search
under Livingston Pond and found Pinpins January 24th post giving the details for
finding the starting point. I was the first person there after three days of snow
following the norester and all tracks on flowed lands were erased. The winter route
was all but obliterated. Those directions made it possible for me to guess the starting
point and to find some remnants of the path that you guys had stomped out.
Thanks again.