Should I go for a hike this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
I'm planning to be in the North Conway/Fryeburg area on Saturday and Sunday for a friend's wedding. I might have time to bag a peak or two, but I would only have about 5 hours of daylight on Saturday afternoon to do it.

I generally hike 2.5 miles per hour, but I could go faster if the trail is flat enough to run some sections of it. I'm also a hopeless peakbagger and I'd like to add Parker, Resolution, West Royce, Paugus, or Bear Peak (bushwhack off Bear Notch Rd.) to my list. I don't mind repeating peaks as long as they can be combined with one that I "need".

Does anyone have any suggestions? First of all, should I even be hiking this weekend? Second of all, if I should, where should I go? Your answer will be graded on creativity of route selection and quality of views. Extra credit will be given for adding a weather contingency back-up plan. Ready? Discuss... :D

Remember, Fryeburg Fair begins Sunday, TRAFFIC!!!!! :eek:

Breeze

You could climb Parker quickly and easily from the Bartlett side even in bad weather or fading daylight. The grades are moderate with a few blowdowns and close growth. There are no views until you top out on Parker where you'll see fine closeups of Crawford, Crawford Dome, Resolution, and Iron Mountain. Oak Ridge is a pleasant area that's worth a look.

Pamola said:
Do it.

The Royces don't take too long. Good views as well.

They would get my vote, although you only mention West R. If you haven't been up to E. Royce (which is also a listed 3K, as I recall), the best views of either mountain are to be had from the north-facing summit ledges at the end of the herdpath that leaves from the terminus of the E. Royce Trail proper. (That herdpath first goes over the true summit of E. Royce - it is actually blazed, so is really a "semi-official trail" more than a "herdpath".)

Fryeburg Fair traffic can be a bear, but although I don't have my ME or NH Delormes at hand, I believe you'll find a backroad heading north off 302 in Conway that will take you to 113 north of the Fairgrounds (but maybe not so far north that it will avoid all traffic).

In the alternative, go to the Fair, which is a fine one. Great livestock!

Breeze said:
Remember, Fryeburg Fair begins Sunday, TRAFFIC!!!!! :eek:

Breeze

Forget the hiking...Go to the Fair.The pizza and the sausage subs and not to mention the good ole' ode de twa of cow dung are to die for. :rolleyes:

skiguy said:
Forget the hiking...Go to the Fair.The pizza and the sausage subs and not to mention the good ole' ode de twa of cow dung are to die for. :rolleyes:

Actually on secound thought...maybe that is not such a great idea you are into McNuggets.

albee said:
First of all, should I even be hiking this weekend? ... Extra credit will be given for adding a weather contingency back-up plan. Ready? Discuss... :D

You absolutely should not be hiking. Go to the mall, or the outlet stores. There's a Walmart there, too. You should have enough time to drive the strip two times and still get pizza at the food court.

If it's raining, buy a really expensive Gore-Tex shell at an outlet store and then lose it at Story Land.

What do you mean, "should I be hiking?" What advice did they offer on the shopping bulletin board?

Almost forgot: ;)

You should hike all day and blow off the wedding ;) ...tell them you were out with me on some idiotic hike to Thoreau Falls - and in order to be safe you had to turn around and make it a 23 mile day in the rain - you really wanted to make it to the wedding, but safety first! :D

Early grades are in and I'm disappointed so far... Amicus and evilhanz are the frontrunners, with --M.'s creative answer a close third. Come now people - you can do better than that!

To clarify some quick points (partially to the tune of a certain fast-food commercial):

I'm well aware of the Fryeburg fair - I'm not a fair-bagger so I won't go there.
Gore-Tex shells are not my thing, hiking in the rain is aggrava-ting.
I need West Royce but I could hit up East, too - I've been to that peak and found da true summit, too.
Peakbaggingpeakbaggingwhat? Peakbaggingpeakbaggingwhat?
Bushwhacks and trail-mix, bushwhacks and trail-mix....

;) :D

Alternative Choice

Here's an idea...you could blow off hiking and the wedding and just stay HOME !

Another vote for West Royce, definitely get in a hike & then don't go on the 19th & 20th when I'm in NH. :D

Not original but I'm looking at enhancing MY wilderness trip by keeping numbers down....

You still haven't explained why you would ask a hiking board what you should be doing with your free time.

You should take the Cog up Mount Washington and moon hikers and/or cops.

You should do a low-level fly-over in an A-10 and drop dookies in the Carrigain well.

You should go kayaking in the Dry River.

You should buy bricks from the mill in Berlin and make your own little smokestack right there.

You should see how far into Canada you can make it and still be back before deadline.

You should spend the entire five hours in Carroll Reed looking at sweaters and Hummels. Is that place still there?

I don't know... how about Arethusa Falls or Webster Cliff?

Fish a little in the Swift or Saco (or Ellis, or Wildcat Brook, or...).

How's that? Now please explain....

SteveHiker said:
is there an open bar at the wedding?

Obviously not.

You've done E. Royce, so that's a lot of driving just for W. Royce with its lesser views (unless it's a nice day and you had inferior viewing on East R. before).

Parker would be about 8 miles just for an out-and-back, but if I'd gone that far I would want to add Resolution (as I did, a long time ago). That must be at least 12 miles - you can do the math - seems too long.

Paugus is a long hike just to get to the 'whack (but that is pretty easy) - also too far, I'd say.

Bear Mt. is a short drive but looks like a long 'whack - well over a mile. Unless there is a herd path or it's open woods, you may be pressed for time. You'd make an impression at the reception, on the other hand.

If you head up West Royce (or both Royces) I'll recommend the Burnt Mill Brook Trail off the road to the Wild River Campground. I find it a lot more scenic than the trail up from the height of land on Rt 113.
-vegematic

I can't believe this thread has reached 2 pages for such a question...oh well here I'm adding some more length to it :D