Are you a peakbagger?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a list hiker/peak bagger?

• I primarily list hike

Votes: 40 31.5%
  • I sometimes list hike, but not most of the time

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • I once list hiked, but am not presently doing it

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • I never list hiked, but may some day

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • I never list hiked and never will

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • This is a stupid poll

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

marty

Reaction score
Are you a list hiker?

There have been a few recent thread about who does and doesn't "list "hike. Figure it's time to do a little poll on this so we have an idea. The poll only allows one answer.

I don't recall seeing a poll like this before. If we did, I will delete it.

Thanks and best regards,
Marty

Last edited:
I hike with a list whenever I find myself cross-sloping and after over-imbibing.

After the NH4K's, nothing else interests me (other than trying to hike all the trails, "redlining"). I know I'll never finish that, but I do TRY to hit unclimbed trails when I can, though.

Most of my life I looked down on peak baggers :eek:... now I is one! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Never say never I guess.;)

In the winter it's the ADK46, & NEHH. The rest of the year it's the 451...

I tend to be a goal oriented list maker, completer, checker, etc. The second time I did Tecumsah was the prettiest day of the year and would not have traded it for the world. But then I think: "I coulda' grabbed a different one." ;)

I swear, I'm not a peak bagger!!! Honestly. I just do it to unwind. I only do it socially. I could stop anytime. I mean, _______(fill in name of friend who "really" peakbags) peak bags way more than me. He's got the problem, not me. I'm more of a nature hiker really....

Hi, my name is Toe Cozy and this is my first meeting of PBA. My husband will be going to tomorrow's meeting for spouse's of peak baggers.

At first my husband and friends believed me that I wasn't a peak bagger. Then more time went by and soon everyone started to roll their eyes and shake their heads at me when I claimed I wasn't one of those "peak baggers".

I do enjoy using lists to stimulate exploration of a certain area (for example the VT 109 highest) I do not consider myself a person who only goes out to "get a peak out of the way". I am happy to hike mountains multiple times if I enjoyed it the first time. I also really enjoy all sorts of non-peak hikes. Therefore I continue to refrain from labeling myself as a peak bagger.

:rolleyes:

When I was told Galehead was part of the lists, I figured that I might as well finish them all!

In the past I would have answered "no" and described myself as a long distance backpacker, long distance day hiker, who would hike the same trails/peaks many times over.

The bulk of my hiking resume has not been peakbagging, so I'd have to answer "no" to the above poll, but that is changing of late.

Work/life has changed that and I am now an avid peakbagger. Mainly it keeps me motivated and out there -- I don't have to think or plan too far ahead, I just keep the next few peaks in my short range plan and I've got somewhere to hike every week.

:D

I was an obsessive list guy in 2005 - I hiked my last 30 of the 48 in less than 5 months...since then, thanks to my 12 million step program I am an obsessed hiker who due to logistics and driving time generally hikes in the WMNF, in and around the 48, but I am more interested in trails and hiking friends than summits - case in point - I have hiked I have hiked 27 days this year and have been on 14 summits and only 4ks - and I am very happy with what I have done this year so far as far as new trails and redlining. Today my redlining illnes displayed all its colors as I hiked the entire "Link" with rocksnrolls - as tough as the first part was, we loved it!

I answered "Primarily list hike" because my first priority is to complete the NH48. Likewise I have been picking peaks on the 52WAV to do with the kids, because they are nice destinations, more than because they are on a list.

After the NH48, I intend to hike at random, probably re-doing my favorites, and some of the closer sub-4Ks. I haven't any interest in bushwhacking, so the NEHH doesn't catch my eye.

Tim

I'm list hiking right now, but I will go "off-list" at times. I've done some peaks several times over because I like them, and there are others I don't care to do again. I suppose it's a "whatever" kind of thing with me.

I consider myself to have a classic Type A personality. Any questions? :D

You mean there is hiking without doing a peak or doing a peak that is not on a list? :confused: :D

We hike for the challenge, we hike for the views.
We hike to avoid people and waiting in queues.
We hike for the exercise, to work up a sweat.
We hike for the memories of people we’ve met.
We hike for the sunshine, we hike for the rain.
We hike for the smiles, we hike for the pain.
We hike for all reasons you ever did hear.
We hike for the reward of an ice cold beer.
We hike in the mountains, the church of our choice.
We hike ‘cause in our heads is a little soft voice.
We hike to escape the stresses of work.
We hike to keep ourselves from going berserk.
We hike to cross off the peaks on our lists.
We hike to the top to peer through the mists.
We hike ‘cause we’re lonesome and just need a friend.
We hike to the summit and then we descend.
We hike to brag about adventures we’ve had.
We hike ‘cause it’s cool, the trendy new fad.
We hike the big mountains to attract all the stares
We hike ‘cause we like it, so really who cares?
We hike for all reasons, the big and the small.
We hike in the winter, spring, summer and fall.
We hike to put peaks in our neat little bags.
We hike to be proud and wave our flags.
Peakbagger, redliner, trekker, climber and walker.
Photographer, trail mender, bird watcher and stalker.
Trail name, campfire flame, the wild and the tame,
Hobbled and lame, searching for fame, the gent and the dame,
Success to proclaim, seeking acclaim, so what’s your aim?
Why compartmentalize me? Gee, what a shame.

Mark me as h): Some of the above.

JohnL
(Friday afternoon meetings are sometimes just a little too boring.)