A Celebratory Walk on a Blustery Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With apologies to A. A. Milne

In Which
Pooh Dave and Seekerlet have a Celebratory Walk on a Blustery Day

p21a.jpg

One day Pooh Dave decided it was time to go for a hike. The Red Stockings had clinched the AL East (whatever that meant) and all was right in the world. Pooh Dave thought that a Celebratory Walk was in order, and he arranged with Seekerlet to go north. It was early in the morning, which is a good time to go north, and so off they went. They had packed Provisions and Supplies in their Red Packs and Pooh Dave made sure they had snackies in case they were to get hungry along the way.

The leaves were turning red and yellow and Seekerlet thought she might have seen a bit of purple but Pooh Dave wasn't so sure. The trail started at the trail-head, but neither of them could spot the head so they figured it had gone missing. Up they went. Before long, they spotted a familiar face.

"Hallo, Frodo" said Pooh Dave.

"Hallo, Dave" said Frodo.

"Woof" said Madison.

"Cough" said Seekerlet.

Frodo wasn't having a Celebratory Walk, he was having Walk of Sorrow and Pain according to his cap. They stopped for a Brief Chat as Frodo and Madison were going down while Pooh Dave and Seekerlet were going up, which makes it difficult to have a Long Chat. Frodo related that it was Blustery up top, but our Intrepid Adventurers were prepared.

"We have our Provisions and Supplies" said Pooh Dave.

"Cough" agreed Seekerlet.

Upward and Onward they went. While they climbed they encountered Tessie the Dog who seemed to be in an Awful Hurry to get from one place to another, without a terrible understanding of why she would want to be in either place, but it was clear that it was important to her. First, Tessie went up. Then, Tessie came back down. Then, Tessie went back up again. She seemed to be enjoying herself at first, but as time went on it seemed that the Hurry became more Awful. "Cough" said Seekerlet and Tessie stopped and waited. She then began to Howl and Carry On. We eventually found Tessie's hiking companions and All Was Well.

Pooh Dave and Seekerlet reached the very top of Mt Pierce, where things were Blustery indeed. Fortunately, they had packed their Supplies and Provisions. On the top we encountered Vegemite who had also prepared for a Blustery Day.

"Hallo, Pooh Dave" said Vegemite.

"Hallo, Vegemite" said Pooh Dave.

"Cough" said Seekerlet.

They decided that a Celebratory Walk to one peak wasn't as good as a Celebratory Walk to two peaks, and the only one they could see was Eisenhower, so off they went. After a short ways Pooh Dave mentioned that since they had some yummy sandwiches in their Supplies and Provisions they should check on them to see if they were still OK. When they had done that, Pooh Dave decided that since the sandwiches were unwrapped, which is necessary for Proper Checking, that it wouldn't be right to wrap them again so quickly. He suggested that eating the sandwiches was the Right Thing to do. It's always important to do the Right Thing, and so it was decided that it was lunch time. In addition to the sandwiches there was chocolate and chips, which made for an even better lunch.

After lunch, our Intrepid Adventurers pushed on, in search of the Wild Inhefilator which was said to be able to scare the Cough right out of your body. Seekerlet was very interested in finding the Inhefilator as she had a cough inside her body and wanted to convince it that outside was a better place for it to be. Before they got to the very steep section of Eisenhower they found the elusive Inhefilator! Seekerlet wrestled it to the ground in a Show of Bravery and made it scare her Cough away.

"This is much better" said Seekerlet.

"I agree" said Pooh Dave, enjoying the change.

When they got to the top of Eisenhower it was very, very Blustery. They took turns leaning into the Blusteryness and tried to avoid falling on their faces, which, for the most part, they did. This was how you Celebrated. First Seekerlet avoided falling, then Pooh Dave avoided falling, then Seekerlet avoided falling again. It was great fun. But it was getting on and there were miles yet to go. So, Seekerlet and Pooh Dave left the summit to the Blusteryness and headed back down.

Once back on the Crawford Path, Pooh Dave announced that a Celebratory Walk required a Celebratory Poem. He composed the following:
The wind is blowing-us,
To and fro'ing-us,
But not yet snowing-us,
Not recommended for towing-us.
"What do you think of my Celebratory Poem?" Pooh Dave asked Seekerlet.

"Cough" she diplomatically replied.

Our Intrepid Adventurers continued back the way they had fronted. Along the way they stopped several times to see if the Blusteryness was getting more or less Blustery. They couldn't decide between the two but had a good time along the way. Pooh Dave suggested stopping on occasion to check the Supplies and Provisions to see if the food was still OK. It was. Once back at the car they changed from their walking clothes to their driving and dining clothes and off they went in search of driving and dining. Fortunately, neither was hard to find.

Some Photographs of the day can be found here.

-Pooh Dave-

Last edited:
Dave, what's your estimate of the windspeed on Eisenhower that day (I was on the summit about noon)?

dvbl said:
Dave, what's your estimate of the windspeed on Eisenhower that day (I was on the summit about noon)?
We discussed this, and figured somewhere around 35-40. It was enough to push us around but not push us over.

LittleBear said:
Did you find a bridge over a stream so you could play pooh sticks?
We didn't find a stream to play Pooh Sticks (which is a Most Wonderful Game that I actually learned while on a hike many moons ago) but we did see some very fine foliage. It's nearly peak up there, less so around Franconia Notch.

This is by far the funniest and entertaining TR I've ever read. It was my comic relief for the day.

Nice report Dave. I like it. I also like the pictures where you play the part of a wind vane. :D The ballet picture (p33) is pretty good also. ;)

Keith