Moose Killed in Watertown, NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, pretty devestating pictures and interesting floral car seat covers.. :p

Very glad the driver only suffered minor industries, it looks like it was a head on collision, not even a glancing blow..

Jay

whatyathink it smells like in that car? :eek: Did you notice the moose' body was above the bumper so it didnt even deploy the airbag.

Last edited:
The moose was making a fashion statement about the seat covers and paid with its life.

Notice the lack of airbag deployment and the destruction of the windshield -- a graphic demonstration of how a moose comes up over the hood and into the windshield when struck. The airbag sensor won't activate the bag if the deceleration from the collision isn't fast enough. She is very lucky to be alive and not seriously injured. My WAG is that that moose is in the 500--550 lb. range.

I was third on the scene of a moose vs. cars one night, a little south of the Lincoln exit several years ago. At night one person hit the rear of the moose and spun him around on the highway. There was not a lot of damage to that vehicle, a jeep as I remember and no one hurt but plenty rattled. The second vehicle hit the moose while it was still laying down and tore him open (very large bull with lots of points) and her vehicle was launched into the air and turned over onto its roof. She slid down the highway on her roof for a considerable distance. Fortunately the only fatality was the moose. I don’t have any problem with a dead moose from hunting but it was sad to see such a magnificent animal die such a death. It was one of the largest bulls I have seen. I am very glad no one was hurt or killed though.

Keith

I heard a piece on VPR a couple of years ago done by either Dartmouth or an MD associated with the hospital there. In any case, they found that (not surprisingly) Volvos had the best safety record for vehicle/moose collisions.