Baxter State Park Winter trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
We are (Rejean and Oncoman-Pierre) searching some winter hiker for one trip to the Baxter in February or March 2008. We will complete the NE 111 list
on Baxter-Hamelin-N. Brother.

We have two plan:

Plan A: 3-4 days and camp in a cabine at Daicey Pond

Plan B: 2 very long day hike with some approach in X-Ski

Lets us know if interested. :) :)

Rejean said:
We are (Rejean and Oncoman-Pierre) searching some winter hiker for one trip to the Baxter in February or March 2008. We will complete the NE 111 list...

Plan A: 3-4 days and camp in a cabin at Daicey Pond
Laurie and I might be up for Plan A. Is it:

Day 1 - Hike in - Stay at cabin
Day 2 - Attempt summits - Stay at cabin
Day 3 - Attempt summits - Stay at cabin
Day 4 - Hike out

?

Tom Rankin said:
Laurie and I might be up for Plan A. Is it:

Day 1 - Hike in - Stay at cabin
Day 2 - Attempt summits - Stay at cabin
Day 3 - Attempt summits - Stay at cabin
Day 4 - Hike out

?

That the official plan, but if weather permit we will hike other
mtn in the day 1 and 4 to keep in shape. And day 2-day 3 we
will try very, very hard to reach the 3 summits.

Plan B is:

day 1 day hike Abol slide-Baxter-Hamelin and came back 25 miles
day 2 day hike N. Brother 30 miles

day 2 is very long but lots of road to do.

Plan C:
If we have sufficient takers we could have 2 groups. One for the 55 miles hard core 2 days raid, and a more contemplative group for the 4 days hike. Personally I would opt for the contemplative gang.

Pierre

Oncoman said:
Plan C:
If we have sufficient takers we could have 2 groups. One for the 55 miles hard core 2 days raid, and a more contemplative group for the 4 days hike. Personally I would opt for the contemplative gang.

Pierre
Do they still require plastic boots? If so, we're probably out.

What! Plastic boots required for Baxter in winter? Don't know, but hope not, cause I don't have any and am not sure I would want to invest in those at this time. Anybody out there have an answer on that issue. Thanks!

Been up to Baxter Peak twice in winter with my good old leathers!!

[QUOTE=Oncoman]Plan C:

Pierre[/QUOTE]

If the weather turn bad (whiteout) on the summit of Hamelin we
might had to go down till Roaring brook campside and return to
Abol bridge parking lots. That will be a very long hike and fun hike. :) :)

I would be interested in joining for day 1 only if that is OK with you? Thanks for posting about going to Baxter and asking if others are interested!

Baxter Winter trip

Rejean- I would love to join your group. Last winter, I hiked the Brothers, Fort, & Coe with Harry K., MEB, Jeff Silveira, Arm, Donna, & Suebiscuit. They were a great group of strong hikers who knew how to maximize the fun. I am looking to return for Hamlin and Baxter, but would be happy to tag along for North Brother again. The long Slide hike would be my preference, too.

I am very interested. I would rather the 4 days and already have the time schduled for Feb, as this is on my wish list for this winter. My good friend Rob is also very interested in this trip. I will pm you my personal email address, please correspond to that.

If you go to Baxter's web page they have a winter rules page, pretty extensive.

www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/wintercamping2.html

Solo overnight trips and solo above-treeline travel are not permitted. For safety reasons the minimum size for an overnight winter group in Baxter is four if you intend to go to Chimney Pond, Russell Pond or anywhere above treeline. Anyone seeking to climb peaks in Baxter should have mountaineering skills and avalanche knowledge appropriate to the intended route. High avalanche danger routes are The Chimney, Saddle Trail, Cathedral Trail. Parties that want to travel on or near steep slopes must be able to evaluate snow stability and avalanche hazard. Each team member should carry and be trained in the use of avalanche transceiver and probe poles.

Footwear: Temperatures often exceed twenty below zero for extended periods of time, so take footwear that is designed for expedition use and that offers the warmest possible rating. Winter mountaineering boots as well as plastic boots would be appropriate for climbing and an insulated winter boot for travel in and out of the park.

Just some fyi, see the website for more detailed info on climbing in Baxter in winter.

Cindy

Last edited: