Redington - Date Change: Sun Oct 14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Well, after all these months I'm finally ready to take it from 66.9 to 67 :D New England 4Ks. The plan is to leave from the AT crossing on the CVR around 8:30 a.m. I'll probably be pulling in late-ish on Friday and camping along the CVR, so that I don't have to get up wicked early on Saturday.

There are a couple options, including climbing South Crocker and doing the bushwhack (and maybe tagging North Crocker for the fast or ambitious folks) or heading up the CVR and the tote roads.

The colors in that big bowl should be spectacular--so come celebrate the best season for hiking! (Except maybe for winter, or summer. I can't believe anyone would say spring. :eek: )

If anyone is interested in hitting the Crockers (word on the street is there are some folks interested) I'm game. I'd love to see that section of the AT without 7' of snow.

And who is up for some bushwhacks in the logging country that Sunday!

*silence*
*cricket chirps*
*silence*

all right then :)

Townie!

I'm in :D :)

Marc - let's talk about the Crockers and carpooling.

marchowes said:
And who is up for some bushwhacks in the logging country that Sunday!

I know where you're thinking of going ... we're not bailing you out of Gitmo!

To steal on Mad Townies thread.

I am waiting until next year to hike the Potato Nubble from the Navy side, when we go back. (Non-Gitmo style) Got to hang out in the valley for a couple days with a Boy Scout group and Navy trainers.

Watch out for Hound Dog and Shin Bone as they are pretty bad as@. Even Papa Smurf will mess up your day.

Good luck, I'm thinking the 13th may be a bit past peak. From memory I seem to recall a whole hot of spruce & fir once you start walking above the AT. On a cystral blue day, green & blue still nice....

Hummm, I may just have to tag along on this one.

Are slowpokes ok?

:rolleyes:

Mike P. said:
Good luck, I'm thinking the 13th may be a bit past peak. From memory I seem to recall a whole hot of spruce & fir once you start walking above the AT. On a cystral blue day, green & blue still nice....

Not to pop your bubble on color but it was almost peak in that area two weeks ago. Still should be a good time though. Go for the Crockers first and then wack over too Redington and down the skidder paths.

Peak, shmeak.

So it'll be green and brown (and grey in the sky) instead of red, orange, yellow and blue. Chinooktrail and I will be walking slowly enough to see the colorful leaves on the ground, too. :D <edit> Oops, missed your second note, Chinooktrail. Guess I'll have to find another slowpoke to join me! </edit> Meanwhile, marchowes and Abster will be knocking off both Crockers, Sugarloaf and Spaulding and still beating us to the Redington summit!

Was out driving around in southern Maine today and lots of leaves are down already. But whatever--would anyone prefer a good day at work to next week's "colors"? :eek: If so, maybe I'll organize an office-to-office hike in a few weeks. :p :D :p Nice, gradual asphalt trail with good views of brick and concrete.

Seriously, Redington will be fun no matter what the color or the weather. This rain wimp ain't wimping out on that one. BTW, it might be a good idea to bring a little orange. Moose hunters aren't likely to shoot something they don't see clearly (gotta check out the rack), but this week IS moose season in Maine.

Last edited:
Redington DATE CHANGE to Sunday, Oct. 14th

Just wanted to let folks know we're moving the Redington hike from Saturday to Sunday, starting at 8. Plan is to head up Saturday afternoon, set up near the AT crossing on the CVR, go into "town" for supper, then back to the campsite to hang out, sleep and hit the trail early.

Primary reason for the change is weather forecast--it's supposed to be a little warmer and dryer on Sunday. We're starting at 8 so that people have a reasonable chance to get home early-ish, before it gets really dark.

So if you couldn't come Saturday, maybe you can do Sunday. :cool: