Greenland and the Faroe Islands - Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abster

Reaction score
I am looking at Greenland and the Faroe Islands for my next big trip. :D :eek: Anyone here with any personal experience with either of these places?

I can look on the Web - just curious.

Thanks.

Reactions: arm
Well, you're just killing me now with this. Lifelong interest here but no personal experience, except a nose deformed from pressing it against the window every time I've flown over the world's biggest island. And a lifetime of dreams and readings. Oh, and I used to know a guy who taught Faroese.

First chance you get, find a copy of Lawrence Millman's Last Places. He island-hopped from western Norway to North America, walking whenever possible, riding boats when walking wouldn't work, and flying only when absolutely necessary. But only buy the book if you can either (1) get to Greenland or (2) live with the pain of not getting there.

p.s. Millman was living in Cambridge the last I heard.

Thanks! I'll check it out. Both places look very unique and I would be very excited to get to either. :)

Greenland

Abster--

Suggest reading This Cold Heaven, by Gretel Ehrlich. She's a Greenland veteran and also recounts Rockwell Kent's Greenland years.

Walt

Which reminds me that the Rockwell Kent Gallery and Collection sits in Plattsburgh. If you have the time, make it a point to see the paintings.

I was thrilled to attend the exhibition in Portland a couple years ago of Kent's work. There were pieces from Greenland and other northern locales that had me awestruck. These included some that came over from Russia for the exhibition and had not been seen over here in decades, if ever.

Greenland, Rockwell Kent

Sardog--
Thanks for the link. The Greenland paintings, toward the end of the thumbnail list, are notable. Do you have a comparable link for the prints of that period, perhaps better known? The Millman book is also good, especially the chapter "Video night on the arctic circle".
Walt
sardog1 said:
Which reminds me that the Rockwell Kent Gallery and Collection sits in Plattsburgh. If you have the time, make it a point to see the paintings.

I was thrilled to attend the exhibition in Portland a couple years ago of Kent's work. There were pieces from Greenland and other northern locales that had me awestruck. These included some that came over from Russia for the exhibition and had not been seen over here in decades, if ever.

whcobbs said:
Sardog--
Thanks for the link. The Greenland paintings, toward the end of the thumbnail list, are notable. Do you have a comparable link for the prints of that period, perhaps better known? The Millman book is also good, especially the chapter "Video night on the arctic circle".
Walt

Sorry, I don't. I'll do some hunting when I have a chance.