Dixes from West Mill Brook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalksWithBlackflies

Reaction score
I was looking at a topo map and aerial photos yesterday and thought that an ascent of South or East Dix via the West Mill Brook drainage would be a neat bushwhack. Begins at Route 9 just south of the I-87 exit, and ends at the slides on the southeast face of South Dix.

Has anyone out there done this bushwhack?

I’ve fished the brook a few years ago (didn’t catch anything). There is a jeep road that goes to a small parking area by a gate. You have to ford the brook about halfway up the brook. It was no big deal in the summer time; I did it in a 2wd pickup. I ended up following the brook up for a few miles. There were some herd paths that followed the brook for a ways. I’m not sure what the climb up the mountain is like from that side is like though.

I hope this information helps a little bit.

Last edited:
over the past several years west mill brook has seemed to be a popular approach to Macomb and consequently a route to hough, Carson or Grace, albeit it a long one. Numerous postings on the trip reports section of VFTT during that period kept winter hikers aware of route conditions. Unfortunately NYS has inhibited hikers use of the North Hudson Rest Stop for day parking. I'm not sure if this is a factor for the lack of reports. The "correct" approach is from Rt 9 and an underpass crossing for the northway. That approach vs the rest stop only adds about 0.75 mile extra distance.

I've notice a dearth of reports this year from this approach and have seen some for the other traditional Bouquet or Macomb slide approaches. Maybe people arn't into advertising this approach this year.

Without a track or good directions it will be a long approach. I will admit I enjoyed three hikes into this area last winter.

Pvon