Can anyone help with this problem?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
OK, not to sound like the biggest fool who ever found their way into a tent;), but...

My favorite sleeping bag (and the one I use most often) is a zero degree bag that utilizes draw cords to pull the hood and draft collar closed. Here's the problem, when I pull the draft collar so it's snug, the draw cord hangs long enough to get in my way. I tend to move a great deal when I'm sleeping (especially after a long day hiking!) and this cord has been a problem. This weekend I actually awoke to it pulling tight on my kneck:eek:. If I cut it shorter, it will diappear into the bag when I have the collar open. I thought that once I had the collar tightened I could tie a bunch of slipknots into it to shorten it. But it comes out of the collar in the middle (i.e. at the back of my head) and once I have the collar drawn tight, I can't manipulate things that well. Short of doing major contortions (reminding me of a game of twister) I can't seem to come up with anything that works. Has anyone experienced the same problem and come up with a creative solution?

Change your existing strings to shock cord with a locking thingie on the ends.

Shock cord is avaialable at EMS n Campmor, used as replacements for tent poles sold by the foot.

Paul Ron's suggestion is too obvious, I suggest a straight jacket and perhaps some racheting tie downs... :) Make sure the knot you have in the end is tough enough so you don't lose the shock cord into the bag...

Jay

p.s. I got the DVD but I haven't watched it yet but tell FMax that it looks awesome, I love the CD label! :D

I wouldn't think you'd need to cinch everything down until temps were at or near the bags rating. I move alot too and prefer wearing a hat and extra top layer, if needed, to cinching the draft collar.

I carry some sleeping bag elves wherever I go. They keep cords out of the way, my draft collar nice and tight, my sleeping pad nicely inflated, and empty out my pee bottle for me.
You should get some for yourself ;)

skimom said:
Well, actually, I did think of a solution one time which involved duct tape but it occured to me that getting out of the bag might be a challenge especially in the middle of the night when speed is in order 'cause you've put off the inevitable too long :eek:
Getting the sticky tape adhesive out of the bag might also be a challenge.

I just tuck the drawstrings over to the side and haven't had much trouble with them.

Doug

I am not entirely sure I understand how or where the excess drawcord leaves the bag once it is cinched, but...

What would be the possiability of sewing on a tiny little pocket with a velcro closure to stuff the excess into and close the velcro over? If it is a down bag use a VERY sharp very TINY needle and hand sew it to the bag so you don't loose the fill on the inside.

Is the cord coming out of a fabric tube or out of a grommet? If it is a fabric tube could you stuff the end back into the tube once cinched?

Is it a static cord, or a shock cord? If static, change to a shock cord and use barrel locks to tigthen.

Hum... I will have to look at some sleeping bags and see how this system works. I have never had a mummy bag, I get a tad claustrophobic.

chinooktrail said:
What would be the possiability of sewing on a tiny little pocket with a velcro closure to stuff the excess into and close the velcro over?
Nice... Now I just need to learn to sew:D. But seriously, this is a great idea. I'll give it a try!

cbcbd, Do those sleeping bag elves know how to sew?

Aw, come on Doug, you can afford some sewing elves!

:rolleyes:

I need a driving elf so I can sleep on the road...