Non hikes and sightseeing in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
I'll be heading "back east" this weekend with my girlfriend. We're going to my friend's wedding and we're going to make a detour through the whites. Not sure how long we'll be there. Could be as much as a day and a half.

I don't think we'll be up for a long hike. I'd maybe like to do something short (which is something I never really did in my all time spent in the whites). Also, some sightseeing (something else I never really did in my time there).

Any suggestions on short one to two hour hikes and places worth checking out? ...tourist stuff for someone who doesn't want to be a tourist. I was thinking of hiking up to zeland or lonely lake hut perhaps. Can't remember how long either of those hikes were. How's the foliage?

Thanks and looking forward to being back in the old stomping grounds.

Mount Willard in Crawford Notch
Black Cap off Hurrican Mountain Road
Indian Head in Franconia Notch

These should all fit the bill of getting out, getting views and not being out all day...

Artists Bluff at the top of Franconia Notch. Bald Mountain next door does have a rock scramble right at the top, so it's definitely a trip for hiking boots, even though short.

Just a gentle reminder--there were four rescues this past weekend, mainly of people who started out 3-4 p.m. on hikes without flashlights or maps or any other equipment to speak of. It's getting dark early.

For sight seeing, it's hard to beat the Cannon tram, with a quick jaunt over to the observation deck, the Flume, and the Mount Washington hotel.

The short walk to Sabbaday Falls, or the 1/4 mile walk to Ripley Falls. The latter gets you the extra bonus of driving through Crawford Notch. Another great drive is Bear Notch Road. Combine them and you've got a Kanc/Bear/Crawford loop.

Remember to dress warm next weekend. The forecast is for very cool weather with possible rain or snow showers. But that being said, I second the Artists Bluff/Bald Mtn hike, and stop at Artists Bluff if you only want to do a 20-30 jaunt overall.

Some other cool places would be Sabbaday Falls along the Kancamangus Highway (not a long hike at all), a walk along the Lincoln Woods Trail....you can turn around wherever you want.

If ponds are your thing,maybe you can hike to a pond. Some are fairly accessible. Lonesome Lake is about 1.6 miles to the hut via the Lonesome Lake trail, but its over 1000 feet of elevation gain, if you don't mind doing that.

As for the foliage....I haven't been up to the Whites in a couple weeks, but I figure it must be almost done by now in most areas, except for the southern sections and the valleys.

grouseking

grouseking said:
As for the foliage....I haven't been up to the Whites in a couple weeks, but I figure it must be almost done by now in most areas, except for the southern sections and the valleys.

I would say the foliage is near-peak in the southern Whites... but it's been a funny year, with a slow fizzle rather than a big colorful blast. A lot of deep earthy reds and yellows, not so much on the brilliant colors, at least in Waterville Valley. Also -- there is an odd mix of trees just starting, trees at peak, and trees dropping right now. Anyway, it's about as good as it is likely to get.

I would also add Welch Mountain to the first ledge to the list of short hikes with big views -- about 45 minutes and less than a thousand feet of vertical to a panoramic views of the Sandwich Range. I would rank this right behind Artist Bluff in the "views for minimal effort" sweepstakes.

What everyone else said. I've done Artist, Willard, Sugarloaves, Black Cap & Indian head. Black Cap may be easiest looking out over North Conway.

If the lower section of the Auto Road is open, I'd park where the AT crosses & then hike to Lowe's Bald Spot. Can be done from Pinkham also but it's a bit longer then. If Preseidentials tops are snow covered, that's a nice spot to visit.

For leaves you may have to visit Lakes Region, like Belknap.

In Waterville, southern whites, Welch or Dickey in Waterville area (or the loop) may have some color as they are pretty far south. Greeley Ponds for a mostly flat trip looking up with water in the foreground.

All of the above are great suggestions...I just did the touristy thing this weekend with my elderly dad (77 years old) and younger sister. I first took them to the Flume Gorge, exit 34a off 93 and this is a 2-mile nice stroll on trails and through the Flume Gorge. I was disappointed in that the water was very low but they didn't know the difference and enjoyed it immensely! Then I took them along the Kanc and made frequent stops at the outlooks, ponds, Sabbaday Falls and Lower Falls. The foliage was looking great and while it hasn't exactly peaked, it's very close and the colors are getting very vibrant!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Foliage is post-peak now in Franconia Notch but peak elsewhere at elevations of 1000' or less. Bridal Veil Falls should have good foliage this weekend although you may have to take a number to get a parking space. Best place to see good color without hordes of tourists are the unknown forest roads. Don't ask. Search them out.

I may be the only one in the world who loves ski slope hiking - constant views and easy on the feet. Last weekend we hiked up the Bretton Woods ski area. The views of the hardwoods on Cherry Mt and Deception are never disappointing. The only one you can't hike is Cannon - but you can go up Mittersill behind the Mittersill resort.