Winter "Open Hut" Team Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim

Another great accomplishment and the same goes for hiker X.

I have a question about this and your solo traverse: did you start at midnight because doing the traverse in a single calender day was part of the challenge or was it the best starting time?

Since we are close to the equinox a 24 hour period would be about equal parts daylight and night no matter when you start. Is there a best start time that went into your route planning (one which would maximize daylight for certain sections or minimize night time for certain sections)? For example would a noon to noon traverse be easier (or harder) than a midnight to midnight?

Keep up the good work.
Pb

Papa Bear, i thought it would be nice to bow to the tradition of starting at midnight, which also happened to work out very well with the moon phase on this particular trip.

But now that you have raised the question, I'm not sure how important doing it in a calendar day really is, particularly given the potential dangers of winter travel above treeline. Should tradition really trump safety? Is it silly to retain this element of the traverse simply beacuse that is how the summer 24 hour version, currently in fashion, but by no means "official", is done? I would be interested to see what others think.

You have an excellent point - a noon to noon traverse might well be easier as the most exposed and difficult to navigate sections would be done during daylight hours, at least if you went a bit slower on the Pemi side, exiting the woods below the Skookumchuck Trail junction at dawn.

Thanks for bringing this up, perhaps I'll have to the noon-to-noon variation on the next lap! :)