Oh, the chill is in the air...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
...and I can't wait to break out the snowshoes. ;)

OK, I realize that there most likely isn't a patch of snow in the lower 48, but I am looking for some nice snowshoe hikes in the Whites. I am pretty new to winter hiking and my only snowshoe trip in my life was in Franconia Notch. We hiked up to the flume, and then went to the other side and did Indian Head. I am realistically looking to get out 3-4 times this winter (yeah...I'm a MAhole with a family, so I can only get out so much!!!)

I am looking to start on something a little easier than Indian Head, and work my way up to something bigger. I would like to work Willard into the fold, as I am sure the views can be quite spectacular in the winter.

Put yer winter thinking caps on. Pray for snow :D

Near Franconia Notch, the Wilderness Trail is about as easy as they come. About 3 flat miles to Franconia Falls, with plenty of opportunity to go off-trail and wander about.

Right in Franconia Notch, a hike up to Lonesome Lake is a pretty decent push, but not that bad. The view of Franconia Ridge on a winter day from the lake is certain to whet your appetite!

Greeley Ponds and Stinson Mountain (west of Plymouth) also come to mind for relatively easy snowshoe hikes.

Grandaddy said:
OK, I realize that there most likely isn't a patch of snow in the lower 48,
There has already been snow in the Cascades (WA) heavy enough to turn back hikers on the PCT. Perhaps a little far for a daytrip...

Doug

Last edited: