Sad News - The passing of Grace

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
I just read this on the 46er mail-list.
For the many who had corresponded with Grace while climbing the ADK-46, may I say that she will be sadly missed.
God Bless you Grace - May there be unclimbed peaks awaiting you in heaven.

From the 46er mail-list, (L. John Van Norden):

Now Climbing the Celestial Hills . . .

GRACE LEACH HUDOWALSKI (No. 9)
February 25, 1906 - March 13, 2004

Good Climbing Grace!

Dear friends: Our beloved Grace passed away quietly this morning at 9:45 AM. I had stayed with her all night and most of the past several days we had arranged for friends to alternate sitting by her bedside. She was well sedated and felt no pain.

Funeral arrangements are being coordinated by the Tebbutt's Funeral Home in Albany. We will review what Grace re-planned in the 1970s this afternoon to finalize the funeral. I realize this may disrupt the winter gathering, but the only available date for the funeral is next Saturday, March 20th. I can't ask the funeral director to hold Grace longer than that.

The funeral will be at Grace's Church, Trinity Methodist in Albany. I will try to select a time that will allow those of you who would like to attend to travel to Albany for the funeral. After the funeral Grace will be interred beside her beloved Ed Hudowalski (No. 6) at Memory Garden on the West side of Albany.

I will post more details as we firm them up. Thank you for your prayers.

LJ

Good-bye Grace...

Her spirit is in all of us mountain wanderers. May she continue to climb with us all. Go in peace to ultimate mountain.

Ed Elinski #5246

We have a angel in the sky to help us

We never forget when We received the 46r certificat from Grace's hand.

We do not lose this legendary WOMAN...She just look us from a different view.

Thank You for all You make for us Grace.

Pinpin Junior.

How sad to hear that she passed away. I met her a few years ago and she was a joy to talk to. She had a full and wonderful life and inspired many.

PIN PIN You are absolutely right, "We have an Angel in the Sky,"
Grace has touched so many lives, she was so special and dear to me. Her letters I will always treasure, and her memory will always be in my heart. We were very fortunate to have known her, for those of us who did, "Learned the true meaning of being and becoming a 46er." She taught me the way of the mountains, and taught me, " how to love and respect them."

The funeral services date has been placed on Sunday the 21st at 2:00 pm rather than the original date of Saturday. Please
take note of that change.

I'm seeing many changes in the mountains lately, with the removal of the canisters, Passing of Grace and the transition of trying to rename East and South Dix to Grace and Carson Peak. It's like seeing the history of Adirondack Forty-Sixing flashing by. Grace was a wonderful lady, she touched so many lives. She fulfilled the meaning she had on Earth, sent by God, I now hope she rest in peace and is happy rejoining her husband Ed and friend Noah John Rondeau. Let Grace's spirit be with us all, as we continue to climb these beautiful mountains, that she loved and devoted her lifetime to, to teaching us how to enjoy and respect them. Let us Pray on these summits for her soul and unselfishness whenever we climb and let us Pray thanking God for sharing her and letting us have her for as long as He did.

Don't know if this is appropriate or not. But was wondering if anyone in the Plattsburgh, Au Sable Forks, Jay, area around is attending Grace's Funeral? I am unable to drive long distance because of a disability and would be willing to share half of the expenses with another. I also have a friend who would like to go.
Please E-Mail me [email protected] or post a reply.
Thank You

What a dear lady. She has been and will be long remembered as a real "pulse of the 46-Rs". I still have her correspondence from my winter ADK 4000 trips from 1989-1991. It was always a delight to see her at the 46-R meetings. Rest in peace, Grace!