Dry River Wilderness campsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Dear Knowledgeable ones:

Do any of you know of any campsites on the Western section of the Isolation Trail about a ½ mile before intersecting with the Dry River Trail? Or any campsites on the Dry River Trail about a ½ mile before intersecting with the Western section of the Isolation Trail? Or thereabouts.

Thanks

I recall seeing a campsite sign on the Dry River Cut Off trail near the river crossing or near the TH of the Eisenhower trail.

There are some spots near the river (on the left side of the Dry River Trail) a few hundred yards before you reach the Isolation Trail. They are very easy to spot from the trail. We were able to put 4 smallish tents on one of those spots.

My friend Marge says she found a dynamite (and private) site on the opposite side of the river soon after starting up the Isolation from Dry River. We went looking but didn't find it - maybe we didn't go upstream far enough.

Thanks Audrey I will definitely put on my reconnoiter hat.

I wasn’t certain what you meant by “across the river” given my waterproof map only shows the dry river, which is left of and goes away from the Isolation Trail. However, my new AMC map shows a small stream on the right of the Isolation Trail as I head north. I will assume that this small stream is what you meant by across the river. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Thanks Audrey, that will be very helpful. Once I reach Isolation I will drop my pack and go exploring. I found a sweet spot near the Owl's Head slide that way.

Last edited:
audrey said:
There are some spots near the river (on the left side of the Dry River Trail) a few hundred yards before you reach the Isolation Trail.
IIRC, there is also a site on the right (high, east) side of Dry River Tr about 1 mi from the jct with the Isolation Tr.

Doug

DougPaul said:
IIRC, there is also a site on the right (high, east) side of Dry River Tr about 1 mi from the jct with the Isolation Tr.

Doug

Thanks, between our group we should be able to find one of these sites.

Campsites in Dry River Wilderness

This post is probably way late for your use but I just hiked Davis Path to Isolation to Dry River to Eisenhower to Edmunds to Clinton road (Cohos Trail). The best campsite that we used is at the junction of Isolation trail and Dry River trail before the crossing of Dry River. There is room for 4 or 5 tents. The next campsite is just after you ford Dry River. Both of these sites are marked with a small sign. There are also 2 marked campsites on the Davis Path, not near any water source and another 2 sites I am told on Rocky Branch trail or on Isolation trail after it leaves Rocky Branch. Have a great hike!

HikerDoc said:
This post is probably way late for your use but I just hiked Davis Path to Isolation to Dry River to Eisenhower to Edmunds to Clinton road (Cohos Trail). The best campsite that we used is at the junction of Isolation trail and Dry River trail before the crossing of Dry River. There is room for 4 or 5 tents. The next campsite is just after you ford Dry River. Both of these sites are marked with a small sign. There are also 2 marked campsites on the Davis Path, not near any water source and another 2 sites I am told on Rocky Branch trail or on Isolation trail after it leaves Rocky Branch. Have a great hike!

We are heading out next weekend so your information is very helpful, thanks.

Make sure you visit Dry River Falls when in the area. I went swimming in the pool at the base of the falls last June. Very exhilarating! It is on the left of the trail about .1 mile north of where the Mt. Eisenhower Trail comes in. They said there was a cairn to mark the spur trail down to the river and falls but I didn't see it. But I did hear it, thus I found it.