Kahtoola-MICROspikes vs STABILicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I own the full size STABILicers and saw Kahtoola MICROspikes advertised. They appear to be half the weight of STABILicers.
They look well made, a bit more expensive. The MICROspikes look as though they might come off on anything really steep, maybe more-so than the STABILicers. The other downside I can see is not being able to replace the spikes.

Anybody own the MICROspikes ?

Chip -

I think these are brand new products. I am tempted to buy a pair, but would love it if you to buy some first and give us a review. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Weight is the one big negative I have with Stabilicers. I would love a lighter option that is nearly as effective.

Thanks for the post!
Marty

Kahtoolas!

I have the Kahtoola running crampon and they are wonderfully made. So I'm thinking that their latest product would be a good investment also. More info on someone's experience would cinch this purchase for me too! The Icer's that I currently use, and have a couple pairs of, are great but heavy enough that I sometimes leave them home.

I noticed that this product is "currently out of stock"???!!! So who's been buying them?! Any reviews yet?! I'll look around to see if I can find some in stock.

Thanks for the heads up!

Inge :)

It looks like they're not even available yet. You'd think they'd have some out there if they're going to start advertising. :rolleyes:

It looks like you could easily add a strap to secure the toe and heel. Since I already own the STABILicers, they'll be reviews out there before I need a new pair.

I was looking at these last week and they weren't released yet but I remember that the strap in front that you don't see in that picture actually comes over the toe, so they should stay on better. It never fails to amaze me when companies do the advertise without product deal. The guys in marketing just get ahead and want to throw out there new product and start getting orders. Then they don't ship when there supposed to and it hurts the companies rep and leaving shop owners going "ah yeah I don't know whats going on" and then talk the consumer into buying another companies product since they were in the store anyway. :confused:

interesting - should be available in mid-October...and they are made of stainless steel - which is nice when you hit rocks like we always do...
Stabilicers are around a pound per foot...I am pretty sure they weigh more than my crampons...

Review

I have resisted buying stabilicers so far due to their weight and price. The microspikes look tempting. Since no one has seen them or used them yet, my concern from the picture is the lack of heel spike. Coming down icy and slippery slopes is often the most difficult part, and for that I would much prefer a couple spikes right at the heel area.

snowshoes, stabilicers, microspikes, and crampons; I can't see carrying or buying them all. This adds another choice or option to the mix.

They look like they may even be a more in-between Stabilicers and Crampons which could be beneficial. Couldn't really see from the picture but they do appear to have no top strap.

I emailed Kahtoola about availablity;

Hi Chip,

They are available through Kahtoola direct right now. Our dealers have
placed orders that will ship to them next week. Our appologies, the web
master is late on placing these on our web site. We would be happy to
take your order on the phone.

Regards,

Brian Cannon
Kahtoola Inc.
[email protected]
928-779-7249

ColdRiverRun said:
I was looking at these last week and they weren't released yet but I remember that the strap in front that you don't see in that picture actually comes over the toe, so they should stay on better. It never fails to amaze me when companies do the advertise without product deal. The guys in marketing just get ahead and want to throw out there new product and start getting orders. Then they don't ship when there supposed to and it hurts the companies rep and leaving shop owners going "ah yeah I don't know whats going on" and then talk the consumer into buying another companies product since they were in the store anyway. :confused:
Lol, do you work for MSR?

Stabilicers are heavy but worth their weight in Winter. This time of year I carry the sport model of stabilicers less than 1/2 the weight of the traditional model. The traction on these is quite good. The cost is reasonable as well.

Well, I got the MICROspikes, size medium. Weight for the pair is 12.5 ounces. The size medium is for men sizes 7-10.5 and women's sizes 8.5 and up. They easily went over my men's size 10.5 hiking boot. They went over my size 10 Sorel Caribou's and size 11 Columbia Ice Dragons with a bit more effort. The fit in all cases, is nice and snug. It seems unlikely they will fall off. They fold up very nicely and the pair will fit in a jacket or pants pocket.

For traction, there are eight 3/8" steel spikes, which seem sharp enough to bit into ice. My guess is that they will not have much of an impact on your natural walking style, similar to Stabilicers. The chains that hold the spikes probably give some minor additional traction. What's really surprising about the chains is that they never seem to get tangled, even when you fold them up. Very nicely designed.

I hope to get to try these out next weekend. Since it will be their maiden voyage, I may bring another traction aid with me, just in case. I will let everyone know my impressions after their first use!

Marty

Went to Ragged Mountain in Intervale, NH today, they said they were getting the microspikes in a few weeks. They also had STABILicers SPORT. Has anyone tried these? They seem pretty lightweight but have only a few studs.

Here's some better pictures of the product

These are some pictures posted by an AMC NH Chapter trip leader showing better pictures of the Microspike. Should clear up many questions posted here. Perhaps what is needed here to help make purchasing decision. I'm providing it with his permission. :D

Microspikes photos

I also bought some microspikes and got them yesterday. I will get to test them on monday for a real hike. I don't have either crampons or stabiliciers, so I can't compare them to those options. More pictures here:

microspikes

I also got the medium, since they would fit my boots (men's 10) and my partners (women's size 9). As you can see, they fit nicely on my winter boots and hiking boots. They would probably fit on her hiking or winter boots, but are a bit big on her running shoes. I can pull them up on the back and tighten the chain, but there is still play. They squeeze the toes a bit on the light hikers/shoes, but not on my heavier boots. They go on fairly easily, although it is easier to kneel and do it that way.

I don't have any snow or ice yet, but did try them on the fairly steep hill in my woods. They seemed pretty stable for that, including going sideways on the slope. The best and most fun test though was I found a old downed tree that was damp and moldy that was laying down the hill. I could not get on it at all with just my boots; it was extremely slippery and steep. With the spikes I could walk up and down easily, feeling them dig in, including walking up and down with my feet sideways (with minimal slipping, although my boots hurt a bit at that steep angle).

They seem fairly well constructed. The weak point is likely the rubber hole that attaches the chain (8 total). I noticed the chains are not solid links, as shown in the pic, but do seem pretty substantial.

They work great!

Well, I tried out the Kahtoola MICROspikes yesterday on our awesome Whiteface/Passaconaway loop (see Sapblatt's TR - congrats again, Tuco on completing the 48). I put them on as soon as we started to descend from Mt. Whiteface. There was ice, snow and ice under snow and some bare sections.

The size medium MICROspikes went on my size 10.5 hikers easily and I used them all the way on Rollins and up and down Mt. Passaconaway (4 plus miles). They bit into the ice nicely, probably more than Stabilicers would. They stayed firmly on my boot and did not move a bit. They did not impact my hiking stride. They felt nice and light on my feet. All in all, I give them a huge thumbs up!

I will be carrying my 12 ounce MICROspikes rather than my 28 ounce Stabilicers going forward. If they hold up a couple of seasons, I will consider them to be a great $59.00 investment.

Regards,
Marty