Kahtoola-MICROspikes vs STABILicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my hike of camels hump today, forest city to the LT to Burrows. There was a moderate amount of snow and ice above 3000 ft. I barebooted to the shelter on the LT and put them on there to go over the steps (which are moderately steep). They climbed very well, excellent traction on the toes and forefoot going up. Burrows coming down had more snow and was well packed down. I could see lots of signs that people over the weekend had been slipping all over. I flew down the trail with no slipping at all. The footing and traction with the microspikes on snow was better and easier than over the summer with just boots.

I never really hit steep ice, but there were sections both up and down of slanting wet solid ice. I was being cautious and so didn't really try to push the limit, but for the most part I was able to walk easily up and down and the sloped, wet, extremely slipppery ice. I could feel the spikes digging in the ice and I could see track points after I walked across it. I found that they edged on a rock and in cracks very well; I think the chains helped grab the rock when I would stick my boot in an icy crack. Before I bought them I had concerns about only two spikes on the heel and whether or not they would slip on the descent, but I didn't notice that at all.

I would say that their weakness is walking on straight rock, particularly flat rock. The spikes under the midfoot are a bit uncomfortable to me on the flats, and they can wobble just a bit on rock as you balance on the points. So the rubber bottom of the boot is better for rock. I also noticed that once I was below the major snow line and the trail was mud and leaves and rocks and roots and the occasional snow patch, I was sometimes catching a spike as I went over rocks and roots. I never stumbled, but it felt better to take them off at that point(stabiliciers might be better in those conditions).

I don't see any major wear and they seem pretty well made. I see they have a 3 yr warranty. I think fit could be an issue for some, if you are between sizes, and I would be inclined to buy the smaller size for the tighter fit. The mediums fit perfectly on my men's 10, and I didn't notice any movement of the microspikes on my boots at all. I found my partner's hiking boots, women's size 9, and although they are supposed to fit on those too, they are definitely sloppier and there is play in the chains (my partner said, hey those fit great!). Pulling the rear strapping all the way up toward the ankle takes up most or all of the slack (even on her running shoe in the picture linked above I can pull the chains mostly tight by raising the back).

So overall I have to say I was very happy and impressed. I am not sure I would want to climb ice that is steeper than what these can handle (since I am usually alone, without an ice axe, and lacking in mountaineering training), so for primary use now they worked great, and for back up use to carry when I am snowshoeing, they are light enough to probably make it in the pack.

It was a beautiful bluebird day on Vermont's prettiest mountain. I was alone on the summit and saw only a handful of other people on the trails. As someone who dreams of winter in the middle of summer, it was great day to be out.

Just ordered these from Zappos.com (free overnight shipping - I ordered them last night and received them this morning!) and looking forward to trying these out this weekend.

cgarby said:
Just ordered these from Zappos.com (free overnight shipping - I ordered them last night and received them this morning!) and looking forward to trying these out this weekend.
That's where I was going to order from if I get them. Has to be the most consistently fast site I deal with and I have ordered plenty from them. I'm going to order new boots from them right now while I'm thinking about it.

Marty you need to hike more and put some serious mileage on these suckers quick! :D

I ordered a pair from Zappos Monday night for my wife and I surprisingly received them on Tuesday. I was expecting Wednesday as the order was placed later in the evening. She'll be testing them out on Jackson this weekend. If all goes well, I'm going to order a pair for myself. They look pretty decent and a hell of a lot lighter than my stabilicers.

- Bill

ColdRiverRun said:
That's where I was going to order from if I get them. Has to be the most consistently fast site I deal with and I have ordered plenty from them. I'm going to order new boots from them right now while I'm thinking about it. :D

Man, I ordered new boots from Zappos.com like I said I was going to yesterday. My post was at 5:11 I then cooked dinner had my girlfriend come over we sat down and ate and then turned on some Law & Order that she loves to watch and I placed my order, I'm guessing 6:45 at the earliest. I'm wearing them today! :eek: :D So if tonight you decide you need something for this weekend and figure its to late, you might want to try.

marty said:
The size medium MICROspikes went on my size 10.5 hikers easily

So I noticed they sell them with mediums 7-10.5, large 10.5-14. Since 10.5 is my size and is right on the cusp, I have to ask ... do you consider your hiking boots large for 10.5, or small? Are they big and hefty, I mean? Do you think a solid honkin' leather 10.5 La Sportiva boot would fit the medium?

MichaelJ said:
So I noticed they sell them with mediums 7-10.5, large 10.5-14. Since 10.5 is my size and is right on the cusp, I have to ask ... do you consider your hiking boots large for 10.5, or small? Are they big and hefty, I mean? Do you think a solid honkin' leather 10.5 La Sportiva boot would fit the medium?

Michael J - the size mediums fit over my size 10.5 Vasque Zephyr midweight hikers easily. They also fit over my size 11 Columbia Ice Dragon snow boots and size 10 Sorel Caribou snow boots, although it required a bit more pulling. Still, they fit well. I would say go with the mediums.

Kahtloola says they would do exchanges and I hope the merchants will honor that. If I am wrong, please red square me! GOOD LUCK :D

Marty

If you can find them at Zappos, they have a good return policy. If you need them in a pinch, I think they are the best.

For what it's worth, I contacted Kahtoola support directly in regards to sizing. Based on wearing a 10.5 winter pack boot myself, they recommended a large.

- Bill

BillK said:
For what it's worth, I contacted Kahtoola support directly in regards to sizing. Based on wearing a 10.5 winter pack boot myself, they recommended a large.

- Bill

Bill - that's very interesting. They told me via email and they told me to go with the medium for the boots I specified. Sounds like it's going to take a while to figure out the sizing for these fine little traction devices. Guess we need to keep on sharing information!

Regards,
Marty

marty said:
Bill - that's very interesting. They told me via email and they told me to go with the medium for the boots I specified. Sounds like it's going to take a while to figure out the sizing for these fine little traction devices. Guess we need to keep on sharing information!

Regards,
Marty

Agreed Marty. I did specifically mention a "winter pack boot" versus a typical 3-season hiker however. I suspect you could get both sizes to work on a 10.5 pack boot, but now I'm a little concerned as to whether a large would be too loose and not stay on as well. As you pointed out, I think I'll wait for others to share their experiences before purchasing a set. I replaced all the screws in my stabilicers so I may try to get another year out of them. (Use Gorilla Glue if necessary on the stripped holes) My wife will be using her MicroSpikes tomorrow on Jackson so I'll be sure to share her verdict on how well they work.

- Bill

marty said:

Regards,
Marty

I'm size 11 and the Large size were perfect on my shoes on Washington Saturday.

ColdRiverRun said:
Mats, uh forget to mention how well they performed? :(

Very pleased with them, felt secure even on angled blank ice.....reasonably angled that is.....very quick to put on and off after a couple of practice rounds......just make sure you put them on with the front first........Kathoola printed "FRONT" in large letters to make that easier......

The next test is to see how much beating they can take......stainless steel is a good start.....

Mats had them last weekend on Washington -- they look very good. I plan to get a pair. And I'm not saying this because he gave me a Katahoula baseball hat.... :)

giggy said:
the best thing about these things is they look like some kinky sex toy.

Yeah...what *is* it about rubber, chains and spikes that has that effect?

Used them yesterday and I think they are an improvement vs. Stabilicers, both in terms of weight and performance. They have much more bite in ice but are reasonably comfortable on rocky stretches. Hope they are durable!

I'd seen the Microspikes advertised and they really peaked my interest as a replacement for my Yaktrack Pro's. The Yaktracs performed OK, but I'd had to bring along my old lightweight crampons for the serious mountian top areas. The Microspikes appeared to bridge both these items and after everyones reviews I decided to order. Placed the order with Zappo's on Tues morning and I had them by yesterday (Weds). Very nice design and the quality looks great. They are far more serious then the Yaktrac's and appear to be just the thing I was looking for. Wore them around the yard on my lightlight Garmont day hikers, but the tension turned up the nose of the shoe some. Will most likely be using them on my LL Bean leather Cresta's this weekend for a hike up either Camels Hump or Mt Mansfield.

I'll report how they worked

Well, I ordered the Microspikes from Zappos on Monday (11/19) afternoon and received them Tuesday (11/20) (great service, first time Zappos customer). I used them on Sat to hike up the Butler trail on Mt. Mansfield and along the trails to the ridge. I must say that they worked great, never moved on my boots, were easy to put on and take off, easy to clean out the slushy ice that formed after walking thru some flowing streams/trail.

They are far superior to my Yaktrac Pros and where lighter and easier to deal with then my crampons. For the conditions, icy/packed snow trail hiking they were perfect and from the construction I think they will last a long time.

Brian

Okay, you guys got me and now I'm totally intrigued. I'm getting some.

It seems these could beat out Garmin for the VFTT "Top Item Wanted Under The Christmas Tree" award. Actually, no one seems to be waiting that long. . .

Looks like there might have to be a Microspike vs. Stabilicer Bakeoff...Calling DougPaul....although I have an inclination which one might win already considering some of the above comments.