Drinking alcohol on the trail/summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of people drinking alcohol on the trail or summit?

• Isn't that just plain illegal??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

albee

Reaction score
I guess this is more of an ethical question, since I'm sure most people on this board are responsible enough to know how to hike safely after a few cold ones. If you saw a group of people drinking alcohol in a public place such as a popular summit (especially when children could be present), what would your reaction be?

Personally, I don't understand how people get upset about off-trail travel in sacred wilderness areas while at the same time tapping a keg of beer on the summit of a 4,000 footer is celebrated. I'm just interested in what others' thoughts and reactions might be if they came across something like this.

Hike your own hike? or Respect the summit when others are present?

If talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette near others on the trail or summit is bad form, is drinking alcohol any less inappropriate? I realize that drinking in a restaurant is an accepted practice, but should people moderate their own behavior on a public summit? Does it make a difference if children are nearby? Let's assume that the revelers are not being rowdy, and just debate the ethics of the situation.

Let's keep this thread civil and friendly without casting judgements on people with different opinions, okay? (The fact that I started this thread doesn't mean I am for or against this kind of behavior - I just thought it would make for an interesting discussion.)

I didn't vote, but your last choice was the closest - just seemed a bit too provocative.

Drinking on the summit isn't my own cup of tea, but if that's what someone else wants to do, that's their business. We've been given free choice; allowing others the same privilege is often a challenge.

Paradox said:
I definately like snort at the end of the day. But up on a summit with the decent coming? Most accidents/fatalities occur on the decent. Just not a good idea.

I have to agree. Moderate sampling of a brewmaster's finest on completion of a hike is o.k., but unless the trail is suitable for a novice, imbibing on a summit can be risky. ;)

I’m not certain why the presence of children has any bearing on whether or not you have a drink. I see plenty of drinking in the huts with children being present, so it just seems like a non issue to me. I personally do not drink on summits unless I am camping nearby.

I've enjoyed my share of alcohol on summits and I think I can control how much I drink so as not to impact my safety on descent. Many people feel that a beer or scotch or hit of pot enhances their experience; who am I to argue?

I really don't see how children enter into this question. I wouldn't hesitate to drink in front of a child at home, why would I do so in the mountains?

David Metsky said:
I've enjoyed my share of alcohol on summits and I think I can control how much I drink so as not to impact my safety on descent. Many people feel that a beer or scotch or hit of pot enhances their experience; who am I to argue?

I really don't see how children enter into this question. I wouldn't hesitate to drink in front of a child at home, why would I do so in the mountains?

Well (ahem), Dave, I mean (ahem), your, uh (ahem) avatar says it all now doesn't it?!* LOL... :D

I see no problem with adults enjoying an adult beverage or two on a summit, or anywhere else for that matter, within reason. I enjoy drinking a beer, especially while taking in a great view.

I think getting a good buzz going on a summit would be a bit irresponsible towards your own health upon descending, not to mention those who would be carrying you out if need be. Especially if there was the potential for bad weather in the near future.

Last edited:
albee said:
Does it make a difference if children are nearby?

I only reference this because some people bring their children hiking, and they probably expect a family atmosphere along the way. I doubt I would bring children to a bar or to any other occasion where drinking alcohol was obvious and pevalent - maybe others feel it is a bad example or a bad influence for their children to be exposed to... I don't know. I don't have kids, but maybe this factors into the minds of some parents. Heck, maybe some parents are worried that their kids will get the idea that hiking with a buzz is the cool thing to do.

On the other hand, what's the difference between taking your kid to Mt. Lafayette or to a Red Sox game? Each venue is a sacred place to a subset of the population - and people on both sides will argue that alcohol enhances or detracts from the experience. Maybe a better question is should open container laws in state parks be respected?

albee said:
I only reference this because some people bring their children hiking, and they probably expect a family atmosphere along the way. I doubt I would bring children to a bar or to any other occasion where drinking alcohol was obvious and pevalent - maybe others feel it is a bad example or a bad influence for their children to be exposed to... I don't know. I don't have kids, but maybe this factors into the minds of some parents. Heck, maybe some parents are worried that their kids will get the idea that hiking with a buzz is the cool thing to do.
I have had a drink on a summit twice - once for my 48 (thanks LittleBear) and once for Rols second 48. The real trick is to get someone else to carry the beer - stash it in their pack when they are not looking a la Eiger Sanction. A drink is one thing - descending drunk is another...
I no longer drink much - after 25 or so year in the professional drinker category it just lost its appeal to me (a very bad night in St. Louis :eek: )- I really do not care what anyone does on the summit, face it - some people drink no matter what they are doing, I used to be like that - going to a ball game was a reason, staying at home was a reason, good day was a reason, bad day was a reason, etc... - the only time I drink now is after a real long hike, and even then it is one beer or ale, and I do not even do that after most hikes.
As for a the family atmosphere - if anyone had kids around me and my friends when we were hiking they would be plenty horrified by the conversation - and that is sober! :eek:

The only restriction on consuming alcohol in the presence of children that I know about is at Boy Scout functions. However, if I’m camping at 13 falls and a scout troop arrives I still plan on having a drink. Since I’m not or never plan to be a Scout Master, drinking near or within eye sight of a group of scouts isn’t going to influence me one way or another. I’m a little tired of this “let’s bubble wrap the world” mentality that some parents display towards their children. My having a drink in the back country isn’t going to affect little Iphigenia’s self-esteem or hinder her ability to get into Harvard, period.

sapblatt said:
As for a the family atmosphere - if anyone had kids around me and my friends when we were hiking they would be plenty horrified by the conversation - and that is sober! :eek:

Fair enough... but would your behavior (and your expectations of others) change if Aaron and Zachary were along for the trip?

albee said:
If talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette near others on the trail or summit is bad form, is drinking alcohol any less inappropriate?

IMO, it's a lot easier for you to take a swig of cognac without impacting me than it is for you to yak on the phone or smoke without it impacting me, but in all three cases, my standard is the same - if the people drinking are not being rowdy, and the guy on the cell phone is speaking in a normal tone of voice, and the smoker is downwind of me (and not setting the woods on fire and packing out their butts)...no harm, no foul, right?

As for parents expecting a "family atmosphere" - plenty of parents drink around their children, and bring them to restaurants where alcohol is served. So I don't see why that should be a factor.

I don't care if people get totally smashed on the summit or anywhere else just as long as they keep their clothes on and don't mix firearms, cell phones, canines and alcohol, all at the same time.

I would care if the people getting smashed were my SAR rescuers however.

Kevin Rooney said:
I didn't vote, but your last choice was the closest - just seemed a bit too provocative.

Drinking on the summit isn't my own cup of tea, but if that's what someone else wants to do, that's their business. We've been given free choice; allowing others the same privilege is often a challenge.

I'm in the same boat here. I didn't vote, since I didn't think any of the answers applied to me. I don't drink on summits or day trips while on the trail. Every single time I go camping we'll pass a little something around at night.

Back at the car I'll usually have 1-2 before the ride home.

David Metsky said:

I'm quoting Mr. Metsky because he came closest to my thoughts on this. The premise was that the people were not being rowdy, so I'm not sure what the complaint would be. Surely we haven't gotten to the extreme point of political correctness that the mere sight of an adult having an alcoholic beverage is offensive. If the alcohol was causing a behavioral or safety issue I might think about addressing it, but just having a celebratory beverage by itself is a time-honored tradition that shouldn't bother anyone.

None of the Above

I kept looking for the one that fit me, but never saw it:

==For me, personally, no, too risky.

==For others: Apply Kant, Mill & Jefferson and this tidy one from some kind of scripture (my paraphrase): All things are possible; not all things are profitable.

If I were on a summit and someone's party were an inappropriate imposition on me (for whatever reason -- kids, out-of-control, I-was-there-first-meditating-on-the-sunrise, whatever), I guess I'd have to speak up. Barring that, one must assume that one's fellow travellers are responsible for themselves and have a right to share the mountain.

I agree with MadRiver's comment about the tyranny of parents of young children, but my fuse for such insanity (gotten from the children, you know) has been lengthened by having some of my own. Kids are an interest group like any other, and must have a say (if not the final say) and must be considered in conducting public behavior.

I also agree with the Chicken Boy on the old New England live-&-let-live philosophy. If someone doesn't make it my problem (by, for example, requiring assistance on his drunken hiking), then I have no comment, except perhaps "Cheers."

Now, if everyone would just handle all future such situations as I have laid out here, I'd be able to move from control freak to demagogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.