Hiker Dies on Boulder Loop Tr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is terrible, what a fluke occurrence. I found this in Union Leader. Not much more detail, but some. This is from today's UL, Sun Oct 21-

Albany – A 32-year-old Massachusetts woman was killed in what officials called a "freak accident" while hiking with her husband in the White Mountain National Forest yesterday.

-- To read the rest of the article, click here

Last edited by a moderator:
When things like this happen its just hard to imagine the circumstances. Its not a happening where any factor towards its happening can be identified. It seems like being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It reminded me of a similar accident that happened to someone in PA about 2 years ago. I included a link, you can check it out if you want, however I don't mean to take away from what just happened to these newlyweds or diminish it, it just rang eerily familiar.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=3652568

That's so sad. What a terrible accident to have happened.

My deepest sympathies.

My God how sad. I've been on that trail and always considered one of the safest in the WMNF. In fact I've suggested it to many novice hikers. I guess anything tragic can happen no matter where you are.

Prayers and thoughts to her husband and family.

WhiteMTHike said:
My God how sad. I've been on that trail and always considered one of the safest in the WMNF. In fact I've suggested it to many novice hikers. I guess anything tragic can happen no matter where you are. Prayers and thoughts to her husband and family.

Exactly

Very sad - very tragic - my thoughts are with all of the family.

Another sad accident

This made me think of another accident in the Whites. Does anyone remember this?

"Published on August 1, 2006

Falling tree kills baby on trail

Author: LORNA COLQUHOUN Union Leader Correspondent
Publication: New Hampshire Union Leader (Manchester, NH)
Page Number: A1

LINCOLN -- A 6-week-old being carried in its mother's arms died after a rotted tree fell on the pair during a family hike.

The woman and child were on a trail Sunday morning near the Basin in Franconia Notch State Park.

"Obviously this is a freak occurrence," said Grafton County Attorney Ricardo St. Hillaire, who was in touch with police about the case yesterday.

Lincoln police, who assisted ambulance personnel in responding to the call,..."

That's all I can get without spending $2.50 for the rest of the article from the Union Leader archives.

There is no way to make the outdoors completely safe.

Learn!

I started this thread, not for the ghoulish nature of the accident, but for the reason behind what happened. Yes, my thoughts do go out to the family and friends. But more importantly, we must learn from this accident.

Always check your environment. You can't let your guard down. Even when you stop, either for lunch or for the night, check your environment.

When picking a tenting site, I think we all know to check the trees above, but how many of us check to see if there's any blowdowns up hill from the site waiting to become dislodged and move (I usually don't).

I guess it's just one more thing to put on the check list of a hiker.

"A smart man/woman learns form his/her mistakes. A wise man/woman learns from others mistake"

Let us all learn so this womans death will not be in vain.

HikeSafe...Walker

bcskier said:
This made me think of another accident in the Whites. Does anyone remember this?

"Published on August 1, 2006

Falling tree kills baby on trail

Author: LORNA COLQUHOUN Union Leader Correspondent
Publication: New Hampshire Union Leader (Manchester, NH)
Page Number: A1

LINCOLN -- A 6-week-old being carried in its mother's arms died after a rotted tree fell on the pair during a family hike.

The woman and child were on a trail Sunday morning near the Basin in Franconia Notch State Park.
This story flashed through my head as I was walking through the Basin with my 5 y/o and 1 y/o a month ago on the way to the "baby flume". I thought of it again when I read the sad news regarding this woman's death. Both remind me to try to live each day like it was my last.

My condolences to her husband and family.