Belknap Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A group of us has mtn biked them as an annual "Thanksgiving Death March" that happens every year after Turkey Day.
Since this "ride" is actually about 60% riding and 40% hiking, I can answer "kind of" to your question.
We started at Gunstock and basically rode/hiked a huge loop ending up back at Gunstock. Not sure what the peaks we hit were named, but it was pretty fun.

There is a book, “Stepping Stones Across New Hampshire,” written by Jay Long which includes maps by Dave Roberts. It's a paperback "textbook" on the geology of the Belknap Range. It's very colorful and full of pertinent information on the specific area around the range. The maps are not like some of the better maps that we're used to seeing for hiking trails. Still, there is a lot of good and interesting information in the book. More than I can retain about geology, but I still keep trying!

I purchased my copy from Steve Smith's shop in Lincoln, The Mountain Wanderer, http://www.mountainwanderer.com/hiking.html. The publisher is Enfield Publishing, 632-7377, www.enfieldbooks.com.

I've hiked four of them so far...it's an underrated range for sure (though Mt. Major is certainly heavily visited). Great views of the lake and the White Mountains from each of the peaks I've been on (Rowe/Gunstock/Belknap/Major). May actually head down there this afternoon, Major is a nice place for a fall hike.

great hiking

Toe Cozy said:
I'm curious to know if anyone here has hiked these hills. I'm guessing these are more off the beaten path than even the NE 3k peaks, but I could be wrong.

The AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide calls the Mount Major Trail one of the most popular hikes in souther New Hampshire. You probably won't find solitude either there or on the top of Belknap, nevertheless, the views from both are excellent and worth the effort.

The Gilford, NH Town Library sells a great map of the range for $5 (http://www.gilfordlibrary.org/gpl/). They will mail you one if you send them a check. The AMC guide is also very useful.

Camping is forbidden in most of the range but there's enough trails for several good days hikes. I've hiked the the "Circuit of the Eastern Belknap Range" (Major, Klem, Mack, Anna, and Straightback) described in the AMC Guide and it's an awesome hike. I also did a loop over Belknap, Gunstock and Piper. The open ridge on Piper was fantastic.

bcborder said:
The AMC Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide calls the Mount Major Trail one of the most popular hikes in souther New Hampshire. You probably won't find solitude either there or on the top of Belknap, nevertheless, the views from both are excellent and worth the effort.

Agreed - the parking lot for Mt. Major is almost always filled with cars when I go by, regardless of the weather.

I hiked Belknap early in the spring when the road was closed (snow) and found it to be very quiet.

In the non-ski-season, Mt. Rowe to Gunstock can also be rather quiet - and interesting for any ski buffs, as there are remnants to two chairlift served ski areas (Alpine Ridge and Mt. Rowe).

A couple of these (Klem, Anna etc.) are on a Boy Scout Reservation called Griswold Hidden Valley. I used to lead trips there many years ago but for more up to date information I would call the Daniel Webster Council office at 603-625-6431. They can put you in touch with the camp ranger or the camp director(s). It is truly some of the nicest hiking I've ever done!

Dum de dum dum. Dum de dum dum. Oh where, oh where can our carole be? Must be out hiking and maintaining trails in the Belknap Range.

Stick around, folks. When she gets here, all your Belknap questions will have answers. (You can do her a favor ahead of her arrival by searching for Major, Straightback, Belknap, Gunstock, etc. on VFTT for past threads.)

Boy, talk about timing!

My scouts just did the Belknap Range Trail this weekend. We started at Gunstock parking lot and went up Rowe on the gravel access road to the comm. tower. From there it was a mix of trails and ski trails to the summit of Gunstock where we ate lunch on the chairlift. This section is pretty industrialized. The ridge hike to Belknap was very nice and the view from the tower was superb. Going down to Round Pond was uneventful until we got to the boulder field which gives that trail its name. It was kind of dicey from the rain and care was needed. As a scout troop we were allowed to camp at the Round Pond outpost and passed a comfortable yet windy night there. Sunday we went over Mts. Klem, Mack, Anna, Straightback and Major. We saw very few people until we got to Major. The view from the back side of Mt Klem was exceptional and rivaled that of Mt. Major. This was my first time up here in many years and it really is a beautiful area. The boys enjoyed it as much as the WMNF.

I would recommend contacting the Dan'l Webster Council office for information regarding the reservation. It's nice to know that a huge chunk of very nice woods is under this kind of protection.
Bob

I'm looking at the Belknap Range on my Nat'l Geographic Topo software and have guessed most of the peaks they don't name, but I'm still trying to figure which of these 2 peaks is Anna. Any help?

Thanks,
Kevin

kmorgan said:
I'm looking at the Belknap Range on my Nat'l Geographic Topo software and have guessed most of the peaks they don't name, but I'm still trying to figure which of these 2 peaks is Anna. Any help?

Thanks,
Kevin

The one in the middle of the map is Anna.

I've hiked 10 of the 12, and Major more than once. But as previously mentioned, Carole is the expert on these.

SteveHiker beat me to it....the one in the center of the map is indeed Anna.

We've hiked 10 of these and had a great time every time we go there. They're nice little peaks - and, despite the fact that the highest one there is 2382 feet, you can easily put together a route that is challenging in both elevation gain and distance. We've used these hikes in both the beginning and the end of the "season" when the Whites have been socked in with snow, but there's little or none down there.

And, just in case you were curious:

The unnamed 1910' peak is North Straightback (not one of the peaks for the patch)

The 1894' peak you have labeled is West Quarry - this is the one that counts for the patch

The unnamed 1914' peak is East Quarry (not one of the peaks for the patch)

The rest of your names look correct

SteveHiker said:
The one in the middle of the map is Anna.

Correct...it's a mile and change from the summit of Straightback (just got back from doing Major+Straightback at sunset)

SWEET! Another list to hike!

I have hiked in this area for quite awhile and I assure you it is uncrowded and the trails are a pleasure. I have an extremely cool map of the area that is quite similar to the one of the Ossipee Range that is put out by the LRCT. The mountains may not be tall, but you can link together enough of the trails to do a decent 20 mile day if you want to. FDFMN and I spent Christmas Eve on Major last year! Alone!

I've done versions of the range traverse 4 times and many other hikes within it. The first time most of it was a bushwhack but there is a guy whose name I won't mention who spends several days a week building trails so there are a lot more trails than shown on the map. It's not unusual to find a map tacked to a tree showing the start of a new trail you never heard of.

In the summer, Major & Belknap are overrun but Belknap dies down once the road is gated. The middle peaks are less travelled but nothing like the NH100 much less the 3K.

I'm told the guy who created this list is disappointed with the number of patches sold, I for one never bothered to buy one.