Worst "footing" in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

What trail, or section of trail, has the worst footing in the Whites? Forget ravine headwalls and similar stretches of steep trail where use of hands / scrambling is required; that's fun. I'm talking about "walking" trails that are a total PITA because of mud, roots, funky rocks, etc. Have heard bad stories about the Link and Parapet trails. Any others?

Mahoosuc Notch. "Longest mile" on the AT for a reason.

The 'flat' areas approaching King Ravine, such as the Subway. It resembles Mahoosuc Notch.

David Metsky said:
The Link between Castle Ravine and Caps Ridge, the Cornice Trail, and the Parapet.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! The worst thing is that on a topo the trail looks flat. Evil, evil trail.

I vote for the Dry River Trail, which has a lot of washed-out sections and rocky, rooty up-and-downs not noticeable on the map.

David Metsky said:
The Link between Castle Ravine and Caps Ridge, the Cornice Trail, and the Parapet.

ditto on the Link - have not done the bad parts of Cornice and Caps...
Link is great as its own hike, but do not do it thinking you can save time on a Caps/Castle loop...it is not hard on the heart and lungs, but it is brutal footing wise...a very slow go...book time is meaningless on this trail!

easy

I am with "the link" crowd. I used to think it was Hancock Notch trail until I did the link on a misty day. No doubt the link rules for poor footing!

Au contraire. The trails mentioned above have some of the best (read: fun and interesting) footing IMHO.

"Worst footing" for me means smooth, flat, and mind-numbingly dull. Therefore, my vote goes for the Wilderness (Lincoln Woods) Trail... but perhaps my perspective is tainted due to too-numerous-to-count late night power walks out of the Pemi...

Its not in the Whites, but, the top half of the Saddle Trail coming off the Table Lands in Baxter is by far the worst footing I've had the pleasure of enjoying.

flyfishing...

As this thread title merely said worst footing in the whites, and I selectively read the first post...I'll broaden this beyond any trail. Wading the peabody river is by far the most frustrating, humbling and ankletwisting thing I've ever done in my life repeatedly...as the fishing is often fantastic! ;)

Cousin of Link

Must be something about 'Links'
My vote is the final stretch of Pine Link between Watson Path & Madison Hut.
This is smooth on the topo map too yet is agonizingly slow going over the infamous stones of the alpine zone.

DougG said:
Must be something about 'Links'
My vote is the final stretch of Pine Link between Watson Path & Madison Hut.
This is smooth on the topo map too yet is agonizingly slow going over the infamous stones of the alpine zone.
I agree with that one too!
There is something disheartening about hiking on "level" ground that is more difficult than going uphill!

Wet roots. The only thing more slippery to me than wet roots are icy rocks. Trails that I know that are going to have poor footing I am prepared for. Wet roots just suck.

grouseking

I tend to hate the steep trails with lots of loose scree underfoot, so I'll vote for the Owlshead slide, Tripyamid's south slide and the Saddle Trail on Katahdin.

Lots of stuff falling all over me and others coming down the "slide" on North Hancock. Hated that stretch. Interesting take about Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail(s). When you put it that way, it's hard to disagree.

One more

I might have been alone, hiking 12+ miles in 100 degrees with a full pack, dangerously dehydrated, bleeding to death from black fly wounds, malnourished, emotionally depressed and suffering from heat stroke, but the Gleason Tr. in the Sandwich Range would be up there. I agree fully with The Link and Ice Gulch.

On the approach to Washington from Boott Spur, the numerous false summits and table-sized, tippy rocks make for an exercise in patient, fastidious route-finding.

Second on The Parapet (we should have just gone over the top).

I hear there are mud-holes in Maine that will swallow you whole.