winter/mountaineering boots question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm ... without seeing the boots myself, I can't hazard a judgment. Ask him if you can return the boots if you're not satisfied.

The steel shank isn't a requirement, but it does guarantee the boot will be rather stiff (not rigid) which is what you need. Don't buy that comment about the steel shank being cold - good manufacturers know to insulate.

Have you looked at Cabela's Avalanche?

Kevin Rooney said:
Have you looked at Cabela's Avalanche?

No... I really want to try them on, and buy local if possible. He also said your recommended B32 (now the B52) was a "snowshoe boot" not a winter hiking boot. EMS usually takes things back, but they won't refund my time and effort wasted shopping and try out poor candidates, so I am trying to minimize that.

I'm quite saddened to find such slim pickings at EMS, even at an A store like Concord. Do I have to go to North Conway? Anyone else recommend a place to try multiple brands on? (Earl - I will try Alec's in Nashua....)

Based on recommendations from here, I'm looking for Sorel Conquest, North Face Baltoro (EMS has these, tried them on today), and the Columbia Titanium family.

Tim

EMS won't carry much in line with mountaineering equipment. Although, they are attempting to get better (I participated in a roundtable discussion with them a couple of years ago about where they fit in the market vs. where they perceive they fit in the market). I've noticed some changes since.

Tim, around here try All Outdoors on Elm St. They will carry more equipment related to more serious outdoors, climbing, backcountry skiing, etc. It's a bit disorganized in there and it can be hit-or-miss. However, they do know their stuff and have always been very helpful. You won't get a return policy there like you will at LLBean or EMS. Smaller shops just can't afford to swallow the costs of a very liberal return policy. So, be advised.

Another option is going to REI in Reading. Much more selection there.

About 6-7 years ago (I'm guessing) some boot manufacturer's starting coming out with beefier leather boots that are fully step-in crampon compatible. Mine, some Salomon's (since discontinued and replaced with a different version) have an insulated upper, but the toe box is not. They have a plastic rand around the bottom 1" or so. They feel almost like a plastic, but are much more flexible and form fitting. The interior is leather lined. I wear them with no sock and VBL's and they are quite comfortable. I wouldn't want to belay for 10 hours in them, but I've never had a problem with cold feet.

bikehikeskifish said:
Based on recommendations from here, I'm looking for Sorel Conquest, North Face Baltoro (EMS has these, tried them on today), and the Columbia Titanium family.

I have a tough time finding boots in my size as well (13, also), but that can sometimes have its advantages. I just picked up a pair of Sorel Conquest boots, size 13W, for only $69 at WorknGear. All other sizes go for $120. It looks like they're temporarily out of stock on the website, but if you like the boot, check back in a day or two, or give them a call.

Note on the Sorel Conquests. The tongue of the boot is attached to the upper all the way to the top, making the neck of the boot a smaller circle to get your foot into.
If you are trying to get the boot on while sitting in a tent or a vestibule in bitter cold, wrapped in winter garb, it can be a real pain in the neck.

Your tastes may vary, but I found I prefer a boot where the upper part of the tongue is not attached, making it easier to get my foot in and out.

dug said:
Another option is going to REI in Reading. Much more selection there.

I am personally adverse to spending money in the state of Massachusetts. I have walked by All Outdoors, perhaps I will go in there. BIGEarl also put me onto Alec's Shoes in Nashua.

Thanks for the tip on the Sorels. At this time, I have no plans for overnighting, but I am pondering winter day-hiking a bit more, even though it will get in the way of skiing :confused:

Tim

I went to Alec's today. I walked in and read off a list of five boots I wanted to try on (Northface Baltoro, Sorel Conquest, Columbia Titanium Ice Dragon II, Field Ice + and Ice Crusher II.) All size 13. The salesman said "Be right back". Shortly he returned with five large boxes. So I tried on boots for the next 90 minutes or so, and walked out with the Ice Dragon II for the sum of $99.99. Zappos wants $134.

Thanks again to BIGEarl for pointing me down there -- I was not disappointed. I will shop there again soon, and would recommend them to anyone. Alec's, Main Street (downtown) Nashua -- Next block south of Martha's Exchange (stop in and have a micro brew!)

Tim

I've ben using Columbia Ice Dragons for 2 years now. I don't know how the Ice Dragon II differs from the Ice Dragon but it is a lot cheaper.

They are nice and stiff, take crampons well, show no signs of wear after 2 winters etc. I like them a lot but mine (and everybody else's I suppose) have a nice cushy orange coloured fuzz on the inside. This fuzz is an excellent moisture magnet and if your feet sweat your boots will soak it up and get heavier and heavier as the day goes on. When you get home you will find that it can take days for them to dry out completely unless you use a dryer. If you plan on overnighting you will have a lot of fun dealing with them in the morning unless you sleep with them in your bag or have a fire to soften them up. (Forget about getting the insides dry).

I fixed the problem by wearing VBL socks next to my skin but I've been told this is bad because your skin is oxygen deprived (I do it anyway - it can't be as bad for me as smoking would be).

I have no plans to overnight in them, but they are 600g / -65 rated so if forced into it I hope they would be warmer than the 400g / -45. These do not have anything orange or fuzzy inside. I liked the Ice Field as well, but they were a bit too tall for my taste, although BIGEarl swears by his.

Now I have to order a set of Grivel G10s with an extension bar to fit my size 13s.

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
I have no plans to overnight in them, but they are 600g / -65 rated so if forced into it I hope they would be warmer than the 400g / -45.
Those temp ratings probably assume perfectly dry socks and boots and hiking activity levels. They are likely to be optimistic, too...

Doug

bikehikeskifish said:

Thanks again to BIGEarl for pointing me down there -- I was not disappointed. I will shop there again soon, and would recommend them to anyone. Alec's, Main Street (downtown) Nashua -- Next block south of Martha's Exchange (stop in and have a micro brew!)

Tim

Don't mention it. I've never been disappointed at Alec's Shoes.

:)

Edit - additional comment:

Re: Ice Field height….

I normally do not use the top three lace hooks on the boot. Lower lacing makes this boot more like one of their other lower boots. The extra height offers a good level of protection from a crampon, however.

I use Petzl Vasak mountaineering crampons. They have ten walking points plus two flat front points. A kick in the leg could make a real mess. The high boot offers a shield from the occasional kick that I manage to give myself at least once every time I use the crampons.

:D

Last edited:
Ice Dragons

After a few hikes, be sure to treat the Ice Dragon uppers with Sno Seal, Nikwax or something along those lines. The waterproof treatment on the leather eventually wears out and your boots could get really soaked. I found out the hard way :eek: :(

FWIW, Sno Seal keeps my Ice Dragons nice and dry.

Marty