Bring on the cold!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much hiking do you do in the winter?

• More than in the summer.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Same amount as in the summer.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Less than in the summer.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I hibernate.

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters

Mongoose

Reaction score
How many people here love winter hiking? I can't get enough of it, for some reason I end up hiking more in the winter than in the summer. I find it so much more enjoyable. Now that the temps are dropping, I'm itching to get outside.

Bring on ski season!!!
(oh, I'll do a little hiking, too)

Laurie and I are Winter 46'ers and Winter 35'ers. Yeah, we hike a little in Winter! :D

But seriously, winter does not have to slow you down.

I recommend gradually getting used to it, picking up a little more gear here and there as you extend yourself into Winter, and into longer hikes. Don't do what I did, I was 'suckered' into climbing Algonquin/Wright for my first Winter hike ever! :eek: Think about that: Above treeline, well below 0, howling winds, poor gear, etc. Well, it turned out that I was hooked! :D But you can see where taking someone above treeline in the Winter for the first time can be a harrowing experience!

Last edited:
We have some very cold temps and snow snowers coming to the White this week, snow in the high peaks could stick around all winter, looks pretty cold far down the road. I cant wait!

For the most part, Snowman and I are true summer/fall hikers and backpackers. In the "shoulder" months, we tend to do shorter hikes closer to home and run more. And in the winter, we xc ski! We might do a few snowshoe hikes to mix things up, but we figure there are only a few months we can be on our skis, so we try to make the most of it! :D

Too much other stuff to do in summer: family vacations, work around the house, etc.

Winter is when lots of people just want to stay indoors (and out of our way :D ).

Plus there's all that time off, like Christmas-New Years week, MLK, Prezzies Day. What's not to like?

Why'd you quote *me* for your post, Tom? I've done *plenty* of winter hiking, camping, and backpacking!

I ski with most of my winter time. Considering the last 3 winters in northern NH I'm hoping to have it get blasted this year because this might be the year I go for a 4K peak as opposed to just trampin' thru the woods.

MichaelJ said:
Why'd you quote *me* for your post, Tom? I've done *plenty* of winter hiking, camping, and backpacking!
Sorry, I just hit the 'quote' button and forgot to delete you! :D I will delete you now, with pleasure! :D

I'm a recent convert to winter hiking - last winter was really my first time out there. I hike just as much in the winter but because I hike alone most of the time, I'm usually more "careful" about the routes I take. I dont do much elevation during the winter.

Mad Townie said:
Too much other stuff to do in summer: family vacations, work around the house, etc.

Winter is when lots of people just want to stay indoors (and out of our way :D ).

Plus there's all that time off, like Christmas-New Years week, MLK, Prezzies Day. What's not to like?

I echo this exactly, except I add fly fishing in my 'other stuff to do' category as well!

More but...

I do more in the winter but only because I seem to have more time. And, I've never figured out why.....

Mongoose said:
How many people here love winter hiking?

Does a snowflake hanging from my rearview mirror give you a hint? :D

carole said:
Does a snowflake hanging from my rearview mirror give you a hint? :D

What a thing of beauty :D :cool: :)
I have one of those to. In pewter!

I love winter providing it doesn't rain the entire season.
Lots of snow....please!
Can't wait to test the FJ Cruiser.
I don't like summer hiking all that much because of the dogs. They need to be near lots of water or they overheat really fast. So do I!
Fall is hunting season and I would prefer to not get shot or have to call the taxidermist.
Winter is a wonderful thing for them. They romp and roll in the snow and have really great time. It's a joy to be out with them and there is nothing like being in the woods after a good snowfall or a beautiful ice storm.
Winter is my favorite season.

I would not say it is my winter season - that would probably be autumn or late spring/early summer (bugs seem to stay away from me - and I do not mind rain and mud.)

I got into the winter stuff a few years ago - last year, after tearing up my ankle in a fall I sort of decided that I will continue to hike in winter, but the hikes will not be nearly as ambitious as they are in the other seasons...get some miles in, a little elevation and be happy. No lists in winter, no redlines either - just get out - it is beautiful every day of the year.

I hike in all seasons, but a bit less in the winter, for the following three reasons:

1. I am cold blooded by nature. I dress appropriately for winter, but I just don't like extreme cold. Conversely, the heat of the summer doesn't bother me too much.

2. Winter means carrying more weight in my pack, on my body and on my feet. Although I keep myself in shape, the extra weight does slow my pace down a bit.

3. The shorter days often mean I either have to hike in the dark with a headlamp, or make my hikes shorter. That problem is less of an issue in March, of course.

Marty

sapblatt said:
...and I do not mind rain and mud.
Good thing, considering rain is expected when hiking with Sapblatt :p .

Last winter was my first for hiking. It's fun, but there is so much more gear and food needed. I don't mind the cold, short daylight hours are the biggest issue for me.