Bring on the cold!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much hiking do you do in the winter?

• More than in the summer.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Same amount as in the summer.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Less than in the summer.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I hibernate.

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
My seasons are early Spring, Fall n Winter. I hate bugzzz n tourists.

Love winter. Just put on more layers if you get cold. One can only strip down so much in the heat before they're arrested. Plus, XC skiing is a lot of fun and I like to ice fish.

Yessir, love winter... hate hurricanes.

I love winter hiking - the crispness of the air; the stillness of the landscape; and, yes, I love the extra thrill of battling the elements (as long as I win). But I learnt to ski last winter and now....I wish the weekends were three days long. :eek:

The interesting thing about winter is that it can kill you. Bring it on.

One thing I love is how everything is so quiet in the snow. The snow dampens all the sound so I get this quiet, middle of nowhere feeling. It's especially great during the evening as the sun is falling and flakes are in the air... I'm so glad I have a 9-5 job with weekends off now. :D

Tom Rankin said:
Yeah, and people have died of hypothermia, while hiking in the Whites in August. What's your point? ;) :D
When I plan a hike in August I don't take death by freezing into account. In January, I always call death in as a consultant which makes for more interesting trip planning.

Neil said:
When I plan a hike in August I don't take death by freezing into account. In January, I always call death in as a consultant which makes for more interesting trip planning.

Pffft, Dr-Wu just admitted to being a cannibal! Just take him along year round.........that will keep you on your feet and give ya all the adventure you could want or need!!!! :eek: :D

Brian

Mongoose said:
One thing I love is how everything is so quiet in the snow. The snow dampens all the sound so I get this quiet, middle of nowhere feeling.
Plus you've got your wool hat pulled down over your ears and your hood up. Of course, when the snow is covered with boilerplate crust, the racket can make its way even through that!

Summer hiking - crowded trails, haze, bugs, mud, having to look at where your feet go all the time, too hot to sleep
Winter hiking - frequent excursions without seeing a soul all day, crystal 100 mile views, speed hiking in snowshoes, glissading

No brainer...winter wins every time

Gotta DOWNPLAY the winter hiking cause otherwise EVERYONE will wanna go then too!

I pretty much camp only in the winter. I ocassionally go for hikes in the fall or spring, but summer is O-U-T for all the aforementioned reasons - most notably the heat and bugs. My Dad always said, "You can put enough on, but you can't always take enough off." and i've found that to be too true in too many places.

It is my favorite season by a huge margin.

fm

Give me Winter. The woods open up. Above tree line on a good day is unbelievable. No bugs. No rocks an roots to beat up your feet. I love the planning & logistics that are more important in Winter. Since there are fewer people out there, when you do run in to people there is more of a feeling of sharing something special. Bring it on.

I've concluded that my enjoyment of an activity is inversely proportionate to the amount of clothing needed for the activity. ;)

I do, however, enjoy playing in the snow but am not generally as ambitious or risky in my winter hikes. I'm more inclined to change the theme of these ventures from peak bagging to tracking and find different qualities of the destination apply in different seasons.