Grafton Loop East --advice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwind

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I'm excited to check out the east side of the Grafton loop trail this weekend. The plan is to leave Portland friday afternoon and hike in that evening. Any recommendation as which way to go, North or South? I've hiked up the AT to the Baldpates from 26 before and it's not too far. I figure it's doable friday afternoon but I can't help wondering if it might be faster hiking into the Stewart Campsite from the South?

Thanx

Justin

Last edited:
Here are two arguments for southbounding that trip:
1) You will have more descent than ascent and the descent will tend to be gradual.
2) You will climb the steep ledges of East Baldpate rather than descend them, which can be pretty exciting if they are wet or icy.

Also, although the hike up Puzzle is pretty easy and quick I think it'd be easier and quicker into the Baldpate lean-to. You'll have fewer miles and less elevation gain getting to camp on Friday if you go Baldpate first.

That said, I haven't hiked the part between Puzzle and Baldpate yet. Some one who has might have a different recommendation.

-vegematic

We hiked it last Labor Day weekend. Started up Baldpate at 11AM, descended Puzzle Mtn., reaching the parking lot at midnight. I would definitely recommend this direction. After climbing Baldpate, the trail seemed rather flat and cushy. I'd rather get the hard part out of the way first, and the descent of Baldpate can be sketchy even on a good day. Have fun!

wardsgirl said:
We hiked it last Labor Day weekend. Started up Baldpate at 11AM, descended Puzzle Mtn., reaching the parking lot at midnight. I would definitely recommend this direction. After climbing Baldpate, the trail seemed rather flat and cushy. I'd rather get the hard part out of the way first, and the descent of Baldpate can be sketchy even on a good day. Have fun!

After some more thought and info gathering from some very great Trip reports found mostly here on VFFT, we're going to stick with going N---->S.

I had forgotten that the Baldpate shelter is a good ways from the west Balpate peak. We'll stay there friday night and somewhere close to Puzzle Saturday night.

Now i just need to con a local/friend into giving me ride back to my car :)