Have you ever rescued anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Just curious, have you ever "rescued" anyone (human or animal) on the trail? I'm more curious about private, individual efforts that never receive publicity than those that are part of an officially organized SAR effort, but either is fine. I suspect that altruism runs high in the hiking community out on the trail. "Rescue" can include anything from minor "trail magic" to major haul-'em-out endeavors. And, yes, I'm expecting some humorous answers about "saving" one another from our worst impulses. I believe that the issue of responsibility and liability has been discussed thoroughly in other threads, but I can't find them. Perhaps someone else can provide a link for those who want to read about all that.

I would think all of us have helped somebody on the trail, if only when somebody asks "how far is it to the top" or which way is the leanto/shelter? Or even what the weather is going to be tomorrow for backpackers...

I've never carried anybody out, if that is your question. :)

Jay

I gave a drink box to some lady who had low blood sugar and was looking like she would pass out. No biggie.

I can recall a few instances. One I had posted here but another I remember was on Moriah. If I get a chance I'll share that later.

"Trail Magic" to a thru-hiker or two on occasion. I once made a couple of roast beef sandwiches to some thru-hikers chillin' at Zealand Hut. Those certainly seemed like a rescue just by the look on their face.

On one trip to the Kinsman's (South Kinsman being my dog's 48th 4K) I came across a group of 4 who had backpacked from Reel Brook Trail to the Kinsman Pond Shelter. They had intended on going back, but there was some snow that was unexpected so they didn't think they could make it back the next day. So, three hiked out on their own after a break while I went ahead with one guy and I drove him to the trailhead so he could get a car and go back to get the others.

On the way out, I heard voices on the wrong side of a stream as it was nearly dark. Three teenagers were lost looking for the trail. I herded them up and they followed me out, too.

It wasn’t a rescue per se, more like playing Good Samaritan. I met a father and daughter hiking out the Wilderness Trail heading to the parking lot when they asked me what time the shuttle stops. I sadly had to inform them that the shuttle doesn’t stop at the trailhead. I then asked where their car was and they informed me it was parked at the Mt. Clinton parking lot. After seeing the look on the daughter’s face when she realized how far away the car was, I offered to drive them. It was over seventy miles out of my way round trip, but I realized that I might be in need someday and the favor will be returned.

I've got a few so I'll rattle off a few...

Once happened upon a chap that had just fallen 150' and was in very bad shape. (He hadn't properly threaded his rap device). Fell 70' onto his face then another 80' to break a bunch of limbs. I stabilized and initiated rescue. We were 4 miles up a canyon and had to evacuate him to the road before we could get him helivac'd out.

On the hasty team of a rescue where a guy fell and peeled the scalp off his head by hitting rocks. NASTY!

Several post-avalanche body recoveries which always suck.

Disarmed some nut job who had placed his cocked pistol in my friend's ear. Does that count?

Pulled some old man from his burning RV in the middle of the night.

First on scene and coordinated the stabilization of 10 victims from a high-speed van roll-over. This thing erupted in rolls like something you would see in a movie. 8 of the victims were children who had been ejected through the windows. One of the mothers was pinned under the van and flat lined while we were attending to her. But we were able to roll the van off of her and get vitals back. Eventually an army of helicopters, ambulances and cops descended and took over.

And animals - crawled across ice to help my neighbor's dog who had broken through the ice when I was a little kid and got a cubscout medal for it. Yes, still bragging about that one.

J

In high school we had a group of students and teachers that did a lot of backpacking on the AT in CT & MA. One student that joined us on this trip was "Learning Disabled", or whatever the correct term is. After heading north off of Bear we re-grouped in the Ravine and were missing this student. The teacher/leaders sent me and another guy back up to search. After tagging the summit we headed north again, calling her name. As she didn't really speak, we eventually heard some noices off the northwest side of the ridge. She had continued west, missing the trail north, after leaving the summit and had slid part way down a 50 or 60' slide/cliff and had gotten wedged against a small tree. My buddy scrambled down below her so she could drop her pack to him. I scrambled down to her and helped her climb back up. She was okay, just a bit terrified. The rest of us were, obviously, happy with the outcome.

We helped a woman who was hypothermic coming down off of Marcy. She was wearing cotton and sweating and shivering along the side of the trail, and slightly disoriented. We got her into dry clothes, gave her some food and water, and walked her slowly down the trail. We handed her off to another group at a junction when we had to part ways. Needless to say, she was appreciative as we 'discussed' proper hiking gear and preparedness! :D

Had one once when hiking as a family and came across a woman who was in a diabetic-kinda shock state. Her husband was real upset because she was outta shape and he talked her into this hike. When we happened upon the scene there was another hiker who had also stopped, so we put her on her side so she wouldn't choke because even unconcious she started heaving fluids, her pupils were dilated and it was getting dark. I hadn't been in on a rescue since my NH days so we sent 2 people down to the park office,and stationed another 2 at the nearest trail junction to mark the way and wait for a response team. A couple of us took off our jackets and covered her with them and then lay next to her to keep her warm .Then fortunately a med student from MA came along. There wasn't much else to do while we waited (obviously moving her was unsafe and impractical)so it was nice striking up conversation with a fellow New Englander. The local fire department came huffin' and puffin' to the site well after dark, she had just started to come to and was swearin' like mad, then she blanked out again. We helped with the litter carry to get her up a hill to a more level spot and then the VFD took over. I hoofed it to the park center in the dark, it was much easier without a flashlight, and got there just in time to see the heli come in and haul her out.
One thing the experience taught me was its time to update my wilderness first aid. Years and years ago the emphasis seemed to be on breaks, fractures,sprains, bruises, and the like, but now there is a lot more to consider.

Helped pull a young lady who had become seriously hypothermic out of a cave one winter... she still managed to resist somewhat when we tried to strip her down to get her warm!

Called for a rescue, then had to stall it, when somebody fell about 20' into a stream in another cave. We were a good way from the entrance, which was flooded with chest deep water. After calling out a rescue, the first on the scene were the local squad. I had to come up with numerous excuses to stall them from entering (street clothes, smooth soled shoes, handheld flashlites - they were another rescue waiting to happen!) until property equipped folks arrived. Then it turned into a *issing match over who had jurisdiction! I left.

I've provided trailside help and assistance of many kinds while hiking over the years, but never thought of it as "rescuing" anyone.

Years ago my daughter, Prima Donna Grumpy, and I were first on the scene and initiated the rescue of a fellow who had fallen out of his canoe on an Adirondack lake. He was not wearing a life vest, and was unable to get back into his canoe. We got things organized and under control and well under way for shore in the 15 or so minutes it took the rescue flotilla to arrive and relieve us in the main effort.

G.

Love is blind

I dug this out of a letter I sent to the 46ers in 2001:

The evening of August 7, 2001, I was camping at the Feldspar Brook lean-to campsite. That night a couple came into the campsite (via Marcy), and one member of the party ("Robin") had an obvious ankle injury. Because it was dark when the couple arrived at camp, the decision was made to evaluate Robin's ankle in the morning and to come up with a course of action.

In the morning, Robin was obviously in pain and not mobile. I volunteered to go to the Adk Loj for help and notify the Rangers. Robin was eventually evacuated from Feldspar Brook by helicopter and flown to the Adirondack Medical Center in Lake Placid.

I visited Robin in the hospital. She had a third-degree ankle sprain. Out of curiosity, I asked her how it happened. Robin said that her boyfriend proposed to her on the summit of Marcy, and as they where hiking down toward the Opalescent, she kept looking at her new ring, took a misstep and twisted her ankle.​

Ah, love!

If you hike frequently with groups of people, then the "rescue" stories are bound to add up.

On 4 instances: two broken legs, and two broke arms.

The first was a broken leg of my companion on a bushwhack 1.5 miles from the road. I went for help and led them back in to the site by following flags made from my shirts. Then, helped carry out the victim.

Then, a broken arm in the Catskills in winter (multiple breaks). Slinged the arm and walked out the victim with an arm over the shoulder. At least twice his feet slipped our from under him on the walk out.

Then another broken arm in the catskills in winter but this one walked out on her own power. In fact she insisted she was not hurt.

Then another broken leg (multiple breaks). This one in Harriman. Built the litter and carried out the victim 1.2 miles to the road including a small stream crossing. 3hrs from accident scene to emergency room. Wrote it up as an article in the 3500 club magazine.

Pre-SAR career --

My buddy and I met a party of cross country skiers in subzero temps one evening while we were heading out on a camping trip. One of the party was complaining of cold feet, and the rest were trying to get her to keep moving. From her description, I could tell that she wasn't going to make it back to the trailhead at those temps without frostbite damage.

I persuaded her to let us help her. Got the boots off without cutting them, but it was close. The feet were very stiff but not yet permanently damaged, by their appearance.

She went into one of our sleeping bags with her feet at the head end, and I warmed her feet between my thighs and arm pits. We both knew it was a situation that required this.

Meanwhile my traveling partner got a hot drink going on a stove. When the feet were warmed back up, as well as the rest of her, she and her party went on their way.

bikehikeskifish said:
I once called F&G 'cause I had a bad feeling about Doug Paul... http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15911
Are you spreading rumors about me again? ... :)

The following come to mind in a few minutes of straining my memory. Mostly non-dramatic. I've:
* warmed cold feet on my belly (winter)
* helped evac a victim with a sprained ankle (summer)
* helped rescue a lost and separated party on the northern slopes of Adams (winter)
* supervised the stabilization and evac of a victim with a knee injury (BC XC ski, winter)
* helped lead a lost party on Canon out (winter)
* helped a separated and unprepared party on Huntington Ravine Trail (summer, wind and rain)
* Helped treat a burn (BC yurt camping, winter)
* Treated a cut eyebrow (BC, winter)
* helped with my own stabilization and evacuation when I broke my femur (BC XC, winter)

Doug

Once descending from Washingtons summit after a solo ascent,I came upon a dude that had just snapped his ankle. He was clearly going to go into shock soon, his group and him for that matter had 3 season gear at best from my memory. I figured a rescue would be way late for him so I offered to "short rope" him down to the Tucks trail. I fixed a rope to him and tied him off to my waist, then gave some other guy a ten foot section to trail behind me in support. It was quite toughto lower him. luckely the summer trail on Lions head was still being used at that time even though it was full snow and ice conditions. Other then the guy yelling when I lowered him into something and banged his ankle it went quite smooth. Once at the Tuck trail some people ran and got the litter, we littered him down the Shelburne to a waiting ambulance and once he was in, I mosied off to North conway for a beer.

Have given away mittens, gloves and a neck gaitor (more than one reason to carry spares!), and helped get people down off Adams, Washington and Lafayette (multiple times) in poor weather, including one group of young men (20's) and their dog in winter who insisted N. Lafayette was really the way to the hut even though they'd already gone that way once unsuccessfully; and one woman who'd torn something in her knee off Cardigan. Probably other times over the years as well, but mostly just helping others like you'd expect to be treated if the situation were reversed.