A.M.C. Hut to Hut traverses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I searched for earlier threads, but came up empty, although I am pretty sure that I have read about hut traverses on this board, so submit the following.

This past Saturday night, at the Highland Center, I had the pleasure of renewing old acquaintances with former and current A.M.C. hut employees, including Alex MacPhail. I recalled that he had run the H2H in a fast time, so I asked if he remembered anything about that, to which I got the full story, as if it had happened the day before. Lots of A.M.C. employees in the 1960s, especially many on the construction crew, ran the H2H in under 13 hours, but in August, 1963, Alex ran it in 12 hours, 11 minutes, in Adidas (not great mountain running shoes, by today’s standards). The route he (and many other A.M.C. employees) used began at Madison, dropped down to Rt. 16 and then up to Carter, then over to Pinkham (via Wildcat ridge, I think), then up to Lakes, and across to Lonesome, so that Pinkham would not be left out. So, about a 4.5 mph average. In 1968, when I was working at Zealand, two runners came through east to west in pursuit of Alex's time, but had already decided that they would be lucky to finish in under 14 hours, so spent a few minutes describing to me how I could make a fantastic salad dressing and impress our guests (I was designated croo cook that day).

Zippy!

Wow, those are some pretty incredible times, especially going over Wildcat Ridge! I wasn't aware that beginning at Madison hut was the route of choice in those days. I guess it's not about the shoes :)

I had also been under the impression that Matthew Cull ( 1993, 13 Hours 9 min.) was the record holder. It would be interesting to ask some of these folks if anyone had tried a one-day winter hut traverse, although I suspect that the trails were not generally as packed out in those days as they usually are now. (Not to mention the weight of the winter gear of that era)

In any case, thanks for posting this!

Those are really fast times, Thom. It would be interesting to see "splits" for these speedsters.

Also, how many are "lots"? I may be wrong, but I find it a teeny bit hard to believe that dozens of AMC employees did the hut traverse in under 13 hours. If it's true, it would also be interesting to know the names of these folks.

On the other hand, perhaps people were THAT much more hardcore back then... :eek:

Signed,
She who once did a wimpy 18:15 H2H.

Tim Seaver said:
I had also been under the impression that Matthew Cull ( 1993, 13 Hours 9 min.) was the record holder.
I wonder if Matthew Cull himself is aware of this. That would be crappy news, oh by the way not only are you not the record holder but you never were. Nice effort though!
:eek:

Also, how many are "lots"? I may be wrong, but I find it a teeny bit hard to believe that dozens of AMC employees did the hut traverse in under 13 hours.
Yeah, I hate that term too, just like "most" and "almost", it's like they were made to be confusing purposely. I'm sure if it was a group of even 3-5 someone might say lots.
Stinkyfeet said:
Signed,
She who once did a wimpy 18:15 H2H.
If you would take the darn training wheels off the pink car you would go a lot faster.
:)

Here let me attempt to use the word lots. I bet there will be "lots" of attempts at this time via this route next year since even my wimpy shoes dug into the carpet when I read it.

Stinkyfeet said:
Those are really fast times, Thom. It would be interesting to see "splits" for these speedsters.

Also, how many are "lots"? I may be wrong, but I find it a teeny bit hard to believe that dozens of AMC employees did the hut traverse in under 13 hours. If it's true, it would also be interesting to know the names of these folks.
I am highly skeptical of this entire story. Dropping 4000' down to Pinkham only to go right back up again and still finishing in 12 hours? Also the notion that an athlete from 1963 could best any accomplishment of a modern athlete (purely in terms of records) makes me all the more suspicious of this tale.

Maybe 22 hours but not 12. Sorry, I don't want to seem like a jerk or call someone a liar but I require more evidence. As a scientist, Dr. D, I would expect you to raise some of your own red flags as well -- or at least address them here. If you can provide more info that would be one thing but as it stands this seems like a lot of bunk to me.

Any other skeptical minds in the audience?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Wow, I am surprised about such skepticism, and we are not even talking about Global Warming. :D

Alex MacPhail is also known as "MacPhool," which might help explain. He worked on the A.M.C.'s construction croo during the summers 1961-1965, then fall croo at 'Pah, Ghoul, Zool, and Lone in '72, '73, '76, and '78, respectively. The note below was sent to me today by a VFTT lurker friend, who worked with Alex in the huts in the early '60s. When I worked in the huts in fall of '67 and the summer of '68, there was still a lot of talk about Alex's H2H run in 1963 and the numerous subsequent attempts to break his time (near the end of my friend's email below, he defines my word "lots" as "a number of guys," but I heard the word "lots" at our reunion, so my guess is we are probably talking about a dozen or so construction croo).

By 1968, most A.M.C. construction croo had shifted their extra-curricular activities to packing heavy loads. For example, Syd Havely set every hut's packing record in the summer of 1968, including carries of 310 pounds down to Lakes from the summit (the "perfect load" of pipe fittings!), 280 pounds up to Lonesome, and 180 pounds up to Madison via the Valley Way (took him 8 hours and got him a two-week suspension by the huts manager, who had received word of this trip in advance, drove to the summit, and hiked across the range to greet him at Madhouse). The A.M.C. packload limit was 100 pounds, for insurance reasons, but was routinely ignored by most of us.

The irony is that none of these endeavors seem to mean a lot to these people now, and Alex told me that his run "was no big deal" when I asked him to recall his H2H time for me this past Saturday night (I had remembered his time was under 12.5 hours, which I am sure that I have mentioned to Stinkyfeet, Frodo, Cath, and perhaps others in the past).

In reflecting on my own skepticism about other climbing exploits, for many years I believed that my free-climb of the Armadillo route on Katahdin's South Basin headwall in 1973 (5.8 offwidth jam crack crux) was a first for a one-day ascent (Hot Henry Barber and others had not visited Katahdin yet :D ). The ranger at Chimney Pond told me that he had only seen two previous parties complete the route, and both required forced bivi's (which presumably meant that they received heavy fines from the BSPA? :D ). But, a few years ago, I learned that climbers from R.P.I. now in their 70s climbed the same route many times in the late 1950s, when little was recorded (no write ups in Appalalchia, American Alpine Journal, Waterman books, etc.).

So, as I recall in a reply from Cath to Mats' thread about his NH48 backpack trip this past September, we probably do not know about a lot of stuff happening on our White Mountain trails, or words to that effect.

Dr. D. (the "unskeptical scientist")

ps. most of my friend's dialog below is about the trench that was recently dug next to the Cog for the new electric cables to power the summit; I blew it by not getting up there in time to obtain glacial till samples before the ditch was backfilled.

pps. Also, please note that OH Croo always called the Ammonoosuc Trail the Ammi or Ammy, and not the "Ammo."

hi thom,

I infer from your vftt postings you've been out and about, but were prob back in MA when I left a message on your Thornton phone yesterday....just on the off chance that you were there and free for a walk. I had a class moved from yesterday to today, so around 10 suddenly decided that I could use what may be the last warm day for a while to check out the ditch on the Wash. And i just had to see how much the ditch road made it easy to hike up the cog ridge..
It is a direct and pretty easy approach...I just plodded along, not really trying to go fast, somehow carrying a pack so loaded with stuff that Steve Smith would approve..
I wasn't sure how far I'd go....from base to above Waumbeck tank it's a tad muddy dozer track. then from above Waumbeck to Jacob's they've graded, seeded, and covered with hay. then from Jacobs to near skyline they used a mini excavator to lay the cable in steel pipe under the rocks on the s. side of the tracks, so it's either clambeing over the rocks as usual, or walking in cinders right by the track (i came down that way, trying to pretend it was mt adams in wash!)..then once I got to Westside it was too close and too nice and whitish to turn back, so i plodded on, stopped for a minute on top to put on stabicers for descent, and was on my way back down less than two hours after leaving the base...Aesthetically it's not a good way to go, but when snow covers up the junk (including the tracks) it'll be an easier descent than before...on a nice day i usually have gone down that way in winter after going up he Ammy, just because you've got views the whole way.

The trench was filled in, and they were pulling down the last bit of fiber optic cable, so should have the whole project done soon. I talked to one of the excavators, and he confirmed all the dirt and boulders they found, with little ledge i'll enclose a photo of exposed digging just to the n.of the tracks below Jacobs. unusual (to me) almost ochre-colored soil.

I had hoped to get to the OH reunion, but just couldn't get away. It would have been good to see Alex. It's been a while. I think I may have told you he lived as a squatter for a year in my room at college..
You're right.. a number of guys did the hut traverse back then...i never tried, being content to run up and down tuck and the ammy...
Were there many OH there from our vintage?

Last edited:
Dr. Dasypodidae said:
The A.M.C. packload limit was 100 pounds, for insurance reasons, but was routinely ignored by most of us.
I would never be suspended for carrying too much! :eek: Wow, that's amazing!

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I still am having trouble believing this story based on a few observations. The 1st is the increased interest the mountains and these "records" receive these days -- more people doing it, yet the times we hear reported for these events rarely come close to 12 hours. 2nd, there are virtually no existing records in any cardio-vascular sport (track, swimming etc.) that date back to the 1960's. The athlete of 40 years ago simply is no comparison to the modern athlete in terms of training, diet etc. 3rd, although your post is longer I still don't see any additional quantative information about the record except that he said it was "no big deal." I don't know -- could this be a case of someone remembering the "good old days" a bit fondly? I suppose we're supposed to take this all on faith but I for one can not.

-Dr. Wu

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Alex MacPhail is also known as "MacPhool," which might help explain.
I guess it didn't help me, what does this imply?

Does anyone have the mileage and elevation gain/loss or just gain for both routes? Adk guy without the books in front of me. :eek:

I'm not saying it absolutely did not happen but yes, I'm a bit skeptical. Sorry Thom -- no disrespect to you of course. :eek:

The Watermans specifically address hut traverse records in their, by all accounts, thoroughly researched Forest and Crag; however, they mention nothing of multiple--or even one--sub 13-hour hut traverse. (FWIW, they didn't include Matt Cull's time in the newest edition, even after I handed Guy a copy of Matt's article in the now-defunct publication Running Wild.) I wonder, if so many AMC employees knew about these fast H2H times, why the Watermans were never clued in. :confused:

Of course, hikers--both today and in the good 'ol days--have accomplished what in some people's eyes are "amazing" feats (and to others "no big deal") but, for whatever reason, choose not to broadcast those feats. That's a no brainer.

Finally, Thom's lurker friend says "You're right.. a number of guys did the hut traverse back then..." Mr. Lurker, ;) I ask you this: did a number of guys do a H2H or did a number of guys do the H2H in under 13 hours?

I believe in it.

I usually think people at that time were physically stronger and tougher than we, sedimentary and technology supported, over-documented lazy people of the 21st century.

timmus said:
I believe in it.

I usually think people at that time were physically stronger and tougher than we, sedimentary and technology supported, over-documented lazy people of the 21st century.
You could argue this point. But you can also argue that people are taller and stronger today as well. The fact remains here:

World Records Track and Field
World Records Swimming

not only are there zero (at first glance) records dating from the 1960's but probably >50% are from this century. You can argue about steroids and blood doping, and although the media seems to have formed a consensus about this, I don't believe there is a definitive scientific consensus. Also, if steroids and blood doping are available and help, why hasn't someone taken them and done the H-H Traverse in 8 hours?

It's easy to point the finger at "Fat Lazy Americans" but the fact of the matter is we're comparing athlete to athlete and I don't see evidence that an athlete from the 60's beats an athlete from the 00's -- chemically enhanced or not. Athletes today also have the benefit of advances in diet, training and technology. Plus they have precedent from those that came before them. Of course, supposedly nobody knew about the 12 hour H-H Traverse (except for just about everybody back then).

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
You could argue this point. But you can also argue that people are taller and stronger today as well.

Taller yes, but stronger ?? I heard somewhere that people are taller today because they do less hard physical work, and the bones tend to grow taller instead of bigger because of that. Maybe this was a false information. Anyone knows more on this ?

And I was talking about people in general, not athletes.

dr_wu002 said:
It's easy to point the finger at "Fat Lazy Americans" but

Where does the ''Americans'' comes from ?? I never said that !!!

timmus said:
Where does the ''Americans'' comes from ?? I never said that !!!
I didn't mean to imply that you said that. It's just an expression I hear tossed around a lot. There's also a variation with "and obnoxious" stuck in there sometimes as well! :D I'm not sure I believe all of that either.

-Dr. Wu

timmus said:
I believe in it.

I am going to agree here with you Julie. I also think that people did know and talked about these events but mostly among themselves. As Dr. Wu has stated pre 1960 there is zero record keeping. Along with our present sedimentary and technology supported, over-documented lazy present day society there seems to be more of a need to quantify and qualify these events. The 50's and 60's had more of a "Game" mentality as the Underhill's had in their original creation of the NH 4000ftrs. To sum it up as Alex stated.."It was no big Deal"....... :rolleyes:

skiguy said:
I am going to agree here with you Julie. I also think that people did know and talked about these events but mostly among themselves. As Dr. Wu has stated pre 1960 there is zero record keeping. Along with our present sedimentary and technology supported, over-documented lazy present day society there seems to be more of a need to quantify and qualify these events. The 50's and 60's had more of a "Game" mentality as the Underhill's had in their original creation of the NH 4000ftrs. To sum it up as Alex stated.."It was no big Deal"....... :rolleyes:
Still doesn't answer the question: why can't people come close to those times today? Are you saying that the athletes of 1960 were better than modern athletes despite all the evidence pointing in the other direction? I see no evidence beyond "I think..." and that we're such a lazy society which I believe is nonsense as well.

There's also a question of "selective documentation" going on here as well. We hear about all sorts of stuff from way back when. Old issues of Appalachia, Steve Smith's Books -- there was plenty of documentation back then that is available now. I simply don't believe that if "lots of people" were doing this that nobody would hear about it until today.

I don't care much about records. I don't speed hike. I don't feel overly impassioned by Tim Seaver's Record (although I guess I find it physically impressive; not to point the finger, Tim!) or anyone else's "record." My objection here is the absence of logical and rational standards applied (which I think is a bad quality of our society). Beyond a second hand story of someone saying, "I did it and it was no big deal." Well, I did it too. In 12 hours. Back in 1962. I was a tough guy then. :D

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
You may be on to something, Timmus! :rolleyes:

IF (big if) these guys did hut traverses so quickly, though, it's just a shame that none of them documented it. It may have been no big deal to them, but I'll bet I'm not the only one who would love to read Alex's & the others' stories --even if he/they wrote a "trip report" today relaying what they remembered of their times, the weather, what they wore & carried, etc. I think it would be a fascinating read! Think you could talk Alex into writing one, Thom? :)

Of course, whatever the record is, it can and will be broken. It would be interesting to see what kind of times some of the top ultrarunners could do on the hut traverse...

Stinkyfeet said:
It would be interesting to see what kind of times some of the top ultrarunners could do on the hut traverse...

Could they be interested in that kind of challenge ?

How about a H2H fundraising event with ultrarunners ? You would sure get a lot of supporters, Stinky !