Real Food vs Processed : What do you bring on the trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neil said:
I hate goo, power shots, gel thingies and fancy protein nanotechnology. On my next hike I believe I will carry a big rutabaga and chaw on that.

I hear ya ont he goo, power shots, etc, but rutabagas are so yesterday... eggplant baby yeah!

Jay

timmus said:
Oh- Sorry, I thought all grocery stores had fresh vegetables and fruits, meat and bread... Maybe not where you live ?

Have you seen how bread arrives at your supermarket? Even the "fresh baked" stuff?

MichaelJ said:
Real food whenever possible. I started hiking with bars and goos and freeze-dry, and always found them disappointing. I like having that hunk of cheese, some hummus and crackers, fresh baby carrots and canned chicken to throw in the instant noodle soup on a backpack, juicy grapes on hot day, a big honkin' sub for an uber-hike, etc. My body gets the calories just the same, but I find myself much happier and infinitely more satisfied. I like variety, and taking a snack each of the different items gets me that. Different-flavor bars can only go so far.

The only time I haven't taken real food was our 5-day backpack in Colorado. We survived on freeze-dry dinners and turkey jerky, and una_dogger ate a lot of bars. It was certainly useful to have all that lightweight food, and easier to deal with, although at this point u_d doesn't even want to *look* at jerky any more. For a northeast backpack, though, I'm going to take some real food for at least the first few days.

We do the opposite when backpacking. Rather than eat freeze-dried, we dehydrate our meals at home. They keep well, and all you have to do is boil water, pour, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and you have your favorite homemade food outdoors.

cbcbd said:
I second on the Large Italian. Always takes care of business and I always feel safer with one in my daypack:

mobster.gif

soprano.jpg

"What are ya gonna do? forget abou' it!"

Bannana & organic peanut butter sandwiches, and, of course, for a long hike we Irish prefer to go with the ever dependable sliced sauted or roasted potatoe.

Gillian said:
Bannana & organic peanut butter sandwiches

I'll grant you they're a lot more natural than marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwiches, but ... banana and peanut butter? They go together?

MichaelJ said:
I'll grant you they're a lot more natural than marshmallow fluff and peanut butter sandwiches, but ... banana and peanut butter? They go together?

Peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Elvis' favorite snack.....well, besides, you know...

I cut my hiking teeth in the boyscouts. On weekend campouts we had to cook every meal. I wanted to do anything else but cook. This is why I go for the processed bars and don't really seem to get tired of them. Very often at the end of a long day I will crave a hot fresh pizza, then go get one.

Incidentally, Peg Braken the author of "The I Hate to Cook Book" died on Saturday; Peg Braken obit

timmus said:
This is not a thread about what you bring on the trail, it is about real food or processed, what do you prefer ?

I eat like a monk during the week, all fresh all the time.
edited; (My preference for home is real and for the Trail is processed food) eg: Subway, Snickers, MRE's and GatorAid.

Oh and occasionally Gin and Ginger Snaps. :)

Last edited:
Gillian said:
we Irish prefer to go with the ever dependable sliced sauted or roasted potatoe.

aye, that we ar lass, along with a warm pint of kilkenny...

something reminds me of Dan Quayle.... :D

I bring raw almonds, Pria 110 Bars, jellybeans. Sometimes, if I am doing back to back days of long hikes, I will also bring low fat Jarlsberg cheese slices. Recently I tried pumpernickel pretzels and I liked them alot.

Also on back to back long hike days, I will sometimes bring a thermos of coffee for midday.

Baked potato wrapped in tin foil; lightly salted, is a great energy food and very satisfying.

Once I tried hard boiled eggs in winter, that was a bad idea....

I bring the same eats hike in - hike out

Stoneyfield Farm Yogurt Smoothies
(The Yogurt Chronicles took place in 2004/2005)
Raspberry or Strawberry
230 calories 3g Fat 40g Carb's 10g Protein per bottle

Power Gel's
I'm into Vanilla since the Lemon Lime disappeared

Think Organic Chocolate Coconut bars
160 calories 9g Fat 21g Carb's 4g Protein
Organic Ingredients: Dates, Cashews, unsweetened Coconut, Cocoa, Unsweetened Chocolate, Pectin, Almonds

Depending on the length of the hike, multiple Smoothies, Bars, & Gu's will be determined.

In Winter, I will add Bagel's with Cream Cheese to the mix.

Recharge Organic Lemon
When I plan a hike in which I will need to refill my water bottle, I'll bring along Power Bar Endurance Sports Drink powder to add to the H2O.

It's what I like, therefore I consume it, I don't bonk,
so this is what works for me.

Cath said:
Stoneyfield Farm Yogurt Smoothies
(The Yogurt Chronicles took place in 2004/2005)
Raspberry or Strawberry
230 calories 3g Fat 40g Carb's 10g Protein per bottle

I have heard so much about these for so long (thanks to Andy :p ). So I gotta ask....whats your magic recipie (if your willing to share ;) :D )

Brian

P.S. What, Mrs. Drewski's famous cheese spread does not make your list ;)

A PB&J works for me on either raisin bread, or when I can get it, Manghi's High Protein bread. Usually include a couple of snack size snickers bars in case I need something extra.

Water in the warmer weather, spiced hot tea in colder weather.

Yup, pretty boring, but it works for me.

I have heard so much about these for so long (thanks to Andy :p ). So I gotta ask....whats your magic recipie (if your willing to share ;) :D )

Brian ~ Not my recipe, but theirs. 10 oz straight out of the bottle.
Doesn't get any easier than that.