Mt Washington, November 10, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Mt Washington, November 10, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats:
8.2 miles, 4700 ft gain
NH48 #31
NE115 #94
NE4K #47
NEHH #57

MichaelJ, Terra and I loaded up the car and headed to the Whites friday night for a weekend of peakbagging and hanging out with good friends around the campfire. We camped at Barnes Field, and lets just say that the revelry and the hiking were closely ranked in the "strenuous" category!
MJ and I had initially planned on a long loop to Isolation from Pinkham Notch, but when the morning dawned a wise Giggy advised us that today was a day for Washington. It was not difficult to change our minds, and after a hearty breakfast at Pinkham we headed up to Tuckerman's Ravine.
We joined Giggy, Frodo, Arm, Mats, Woody, Jeff and Swamp until we reached the junction of the Lion's Head summer approach. The guys were off to climb the headwall in Tuck's, and MJ and Terra and I headed off via Lion's Head, with a plan to regroup in the Alpine Garden where the two trails rejoin.

The climb up Washington is a staggering 4700 foot gain in 4.1 miles! Woo hoo. I was in heaven as we pushed onward and upward. I had my new Black Diamond Razor ice axe in tow but didn't need it today, nor my crampons. The snow line started early on at about 3000 feet and had deepened to 1 foot by the time we reached treeline. A steady climb up through a cloud for about a mile affording us eerie views of rime ice covered cripplebush. The deep chasm into Tuckerman's Ravine was always to our left, but it was within the same cloud as we were. Shortly before reaching treeline we put on our stabilicers, which provided some traction and energy savings as we pushed through a foot of lightly packed powder.

Just before we reached the climb of Lion's Head, we emerged above the clouds and enjoyed tremendous views of Adams, Madison, Washington, and Boot Spurr. Tuckermans was still in a cloud but it was lifting gradually. The best part of my hike was hanging out in the Alpine Garden watching the ever-changing cloud formations and snapping a whopping 157 photos on this hike!!

We reached the junction where the gang was waiting for us and began our slow and steady push up the last 800 feet or so in the final 0.4 miles along the summit cone. The antenna of the Mt Washington Observatory looked like spiny needles from this angle. Rime ice and wind scalloped snow formations covered every rock, twig and trail sign.

We reached the summit and enjoyed *sweeping* views of the White Mountains. There were about 20 people there besides our group. The winds were at about 0-10 miles an hour and the temperature felt like 20 degrees (need to check on these data). Giggy was *right on* -this was a near perfect day for my first ascent of Washington!!! Thanks, G.

We were able to enjoy the summit for about 30 minutes, then began a descent via the same path. Most of the gang headed out ahead of us but MichaelJ and I lingered a bit longer. We caught up to Woody and Jeff in the Alpine Garden. It was about 2pm and the light of the day was beginning to drop behind Boot Spurr, casting a pinkish glow on the snow. We gazed into Tuckerman's Ravine, and watched the spindrift kick off the Presis. It was absolutely amazing, the closest thing to the Himalayas I have ever experienced. There is nothing more sweet than a day on the Presis in full winter conditions, bright sunshine, and low winds. Wow.

We started off again and as I was feeling pretty pumped, I kicked it into high gear and was back at Pinkham at 3:30 pm. Just before reaching the bottom of the trail I recognized a little black dog named Emma from her avatar. Emma is the proud owner of Kevin and Judy. I had met Kevin a few weeks back and we had spoken recently of getting Emma and Terra together for a hike. What a great coincidence to find that we had all planned to hike the Wildcat Ridge the next day, and now we could share the trail together!

After a scalding hot shower at Pinkham it was back to Barnes for more fun, revelry, plenty of food, friends and good times and my new favorite hot drink......Glug!

Pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EYuWzNs1bsKI&notag=1

3D topo of route can be seen here:
47b7cf33b3127ccebfe8c47c3ef400000026108EYuWzNs1bu

Last edited:
Very cool TR, especially the 3D part. I was in the Fryeburg area, wishing I was elsewhere. (I'm not gonna look at your photos -- I wouldn't be able to take it!)

EDIT: OK, I couldn't help myself. But the photo link wouldn't open for me??? Surely you wouldn't be teasing us now. :p ;)

Last edited:
sardog1 said:
Very cool TR, especially the 3D part. I was in the Fryeburg area, wishing I was elsewhere. (I'm not gonna look at your photos -- I wouldn't be able to take it!)

EDIT: OK, I couldn't help myself. But the photo link wouldn't open for me??? Surely you wouldn't be teasing us now. :p ;)

I just fixed it! Thanks!

Here's one that didn't make the album but I think you'll appreciate...
47b7cf33b3127ccebfe0499ffffb00000026108EYuWzNs1bu

Wow! Makes me really wish that I had gone to the Presidentials this weekend!!! Nice pictures.

-Dr. Wu

Very nice shots, both yours and Michael's. Looks like a perfect day for hiking the Rockpile.

-dave-

Great job! Burning question: What program did you use to generate the route with google earth? Looks great.

Artex said:
Great job! Burning question: What program did you use to generate the route with google earth? Looks great.

The credit for the 3D image goes to MichaelJ...(the pics were mine, he may add another link later to his)...I'm sure he'll stop by and 'splain it -- but I believe he overlays our GPS track logs onto a google earth image...that was his track log...mine would be slightly different...and if we put a GPS on Terra....well.....the mileage would go up significantly! :D

Spot on ... GPS track through "GPS Babel+" into KML, onto Google Earth then a little hand touchup and save as a jpeg.

I really enjoyed that. Nice pics and great hike.
Terra is one fine dog!

Just my kind of hike

Oh yah ! 4,700 ft plus in less then 4.1 miles. Just my kind of cardio hike. Gee, wish I had stick to my initial plans of joining the gang at Barneys Field instead of finish my Daks on Esther Sunday.

Great TR Sabrina ! Felt like being there with yous three...

FYI -- you'll need at least Google Earth Plus to lay down a GPS track. The free version won't do this. The additional $20 for the Plus-sized version is worth it, IMO. Here's a chart of Google versions.

EDIT: Ignore the nonsense about needing Plus. As others have pointed out, GPS Babel+ gets the job done for free with the basic version of Google Earth. See below for MichaelJ's exposition of the techniques.

Last edited:
Nice TR and gorgous pictures, Sabrina. One day Annie and me we will do Mt Washington. That day we did our comeback to the ADK on Whiteface after almost 2 months.

yvon said:
Nice TR and gorgous pictures, Sabrina. One day Annie and me we will do Mt Washington. That day we did our comeback to the ADK on Whiteface after almost 2 months.

You both will love it. :) I think it will remind you both of Nepal as well.

Welcome back, I'm glad you had a fun day on Whiteface. :p

Cooool... Great pics Sabrina.
Mount Washington is my favorite hike! There are so many routes up to it, once you get done with your newest list you'll have to explore them all. I'm working on the 48x12 now and am trying to redline all the trails on the Pressies:D. Hopefully George and the weather will let me up this weekend!

Guy,
How was the headwall?

TMax said:
How was the headwall?

Hey tmax!
depends on what your risk level is. It was wet, thin, and there was huge chunks of ice all over the place that fell recently.

That being said, there was a guy soloing the open book and was cranking up it with no problems - there are people in the area that can pretty much climb anything.

I think this weekend - assuming it stays cold - it will be much better. We brought some gear with us and the plan was to climb a very easy line if something was doable. maybe we could have - who knows, but I had beer to drink that night - didn't feel like heading to the hospital.

it was a day to be above treeline basking in the sun :)