Headlamp Input

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxegraphix

Reaction score
Hey,
Looking for opinions on the best headlamp. I've got a Black Diamond Gemini that I've used for a lot of night hikes but it just isn't great. I'm looking for something wicked powerful that's not going to crap out on me 4 hours into the hike.
Any help appreciated.
Pete O

Black Diamond Zenix IQ. A bunch of others from these boards turned me on to these awesome little headlamp. One giant LED and 2 smaller so you can pick your size. Plus both the large and 2 small you can pick from 3 power settings to help moderate battery use.

Brian

Actually, I suspect that you want headlamp output... :)

In general, you only need a low-intensity wide beam for camping and hiking on well marked trails. The low intensity LED lights work quite well for this and many come with 2 or 3 intensities. A narrow bright beam is occasionally useful for such things as trail finding, but results in a short battery life if used too often.

Also, LEDs have basically replaced incandescent bulbs in hiking headlamps--they are more efficient and will outlast you.

Standard batteries (eg AA or AAA) are also cheaper and more readily available than the special batteries used by some headlamps. They are also available in alkaline, lithium, or NiMH (rechargeable) technologies.

The Zenix IQ is a good light--it does all of the above. There are also a number of small lights which typically use 3 small LEDs (eg Princeton Tech Aurora) which are also nice.

There have also been a number of threads on the topic--a bit of searching finds:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14680
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10532
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9244

Doug

Last edited:
For lighter weight I'm partial to the BD Spot - one 1-watt LED, 3 regular led's - 4 modes for each, so 8 options of light/brightness.

For a burlier one I'm partial to the BD Icon - one 3-watt LED(bright!), 4 regular LED's and you can buy a rechargeable pack to go with it. You really can't go wrong with this headlamp.

cbcbd said:
For a burlier one I'm partial to the BD Icon - one 3-watt LED(bright!), 4 regular LED's and you can buy a rechargeable pack to go with it. You really can't go wrong with this headlamp.

What cbcbd said!

I find especially when I am tired at the end of a long day, a super-bright light makes all the difference in the world ( more so in the summer when there is no snow to reflect the light) And battery life is impressive even using the 3 watt.

Mats Roing has something even more powerful, the mighty
Stenlight, a caving light. As it isn't meant for hiking, he had to hot-rod it with his own band and battery holder. I think the battery life is quite a bit less a well, but it is a very impressive piece of machinery ( which it better be for $300!)

My experience ( and a few others) with the Zenix IQ has not been impressive in winter, it seems to burn through alkaline batteries MUCH faster than any other headlight I know, without really putting out that much light. Not sure why. :confused:

My very favorite headlamp is the Tikka XP. It only weighs about 3 oz and has several settings and a "diffuser" as well as a "boost" button to provide a burst of extra light. It's good for hiking in wider, more open areas but is a little costly. My very cheap back-up headlamp is the Black Diamond Ion. It weighs less than an ounce and provides more than enough light for around camp or on typical woods hikes.

cbcbd said:
For lighter weight I'm partial to the BD Spot - one 1-watt LED, 3 regular led's - 4 modes for each, so 8 options of light/brightness.
Forgot to mention the Spot--I have one and like it. Essentially an Aurora plus the 1 watt LED. IMO, the only problem is that AAA batts don't have the capacity to keep the 1 watt LED going for very long, which is fine if you use it sparingly.

I have checked out the Icon. It is a nice headlamp, but the 3 watt LED is only run at ~1.7 watts. (IMO, BD is doing a bit of deceptive advertising here.)

If you want a true 3 watt headlamp, get the Princeton Tec Apex. (I measure it at 4 watts. It also includes a boost regulator, so as your batteries get weaker (or you use NiMH cells), you still get full output.) The Apex uses 4AA cells and the Apex Pro uses 2 CR123A cells (lighter, but more expensive and harder to get). There is detailed review at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm.

A key difference between the Icon and the Apex is that the Apex has far better heatsinks than does the Icon. This heatsink is required to run the LED at full power. (If you overheat the LEDs, you will destroy them. The higher power LED control circuits have temperature sensors and turn the power down if the LED begins to overheat.)

BTW, there are detailed reviews of many headlamps at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm.

Doug

Tim Seaver said:
My experience ( and a few others) with the Zenix IQ has not been impressive in winter, it seems to burn through alkaline batteries MUCH faster than any other headlight I know, without really putting out that much light. Not sure why. :confused:
A key difference between the Zenix IQ and most other LED headlamps is that it includes a boost regulator. As the batteries weaken, the boost regulator boosts the voltage to compensate, which keeps the intensity constant. The LED headlamps without the boost regulator will get dimmer as the batteries weaken.

The headlamp with the boost regulator stays at constant power until the batteries are unable to supply it. The unboosted LED light lasts longer because it draws less power (and gets dimmer) as the batteries weaken.

The review at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/blackdiamond_zenix-iq.htm gives an intensity vs time plot.

The boost regulator also means that you will get full intensities with NiMH batteries. Non-regulated lights will be somewhat dimmer.

If you read the fine print with the manufacturer's runtime info, the end-of-runtime intensities are unrealistically low. In other words, take the those times with a huge bag of salt. It would be much more meaningful if the manufacturers gave time to half intensity.

Doug

The Apex is pretty heavy at almost 10 oz. - definitely an issue if you use it for night running or just don't like that much weight on your head (or in your pack). 3 AA's are about my limit. Also, there have been reports of the Apex cracking, perhaps from heat. Then there is the issue of the shorter battery life, which means carrying yet more weight if you are doing an all-nighter.

The new Apex Pro is quite a bit lighter at under 7 oz., but you are stuck with using CR123 lithium batteries, which could be a big issue if you are traveling. And it's $90. Trade offs aplenty!

One odd thing - BD doesn't mention using lithium AA's with the Icon, but I have been using them almost exclusively without any problems, getting a good strong beam for about 8 hours, almost twice what I get with alkaline AAs. In cold weather, the difference is even more dramatic ( same for the Zenix IQ)

Incidentally, the Icon won Rock and Ice's "Best In Gear" Award.

Another vote for the Zenix IQ. Comfortable, throws out very good light, and is relatively light. Interesting what Seaver said, as I haven't really put it to the test in that aspect. It has served me well during a couple of long night runs in warmer weather though, staying firmly and comfortably in place while giving great light to see the terrain. Haven't put it to the test in the cold. Dang, I thought the thing was perfect. :( :rolleyes: :)

Tim Seaver said:
I've used nothing but Lithiums in my Zenix IQ and have had great results. I may not use my headlamp near as much as some, but in 1 years time I am still on the same set of batteries. (I mostly use the 2 LEDs and on the lower power setting)

Brian

The PT Apex is also a bit pricey when compared to the cheaper Zenix IQ or the Icon.

I am a big Zenix IQ user and I use the Icons 3W or 1.7W LED for bike commuting. Whatever the power is and I believe it's probably not a full 3W, it's good enough for me to see when I'm commuting.

Jay

Petzel

I am and have been a big fan of Petzel Headlamps . My Brighter and Lighter torch is the MYO XP . At 6.17 onces including batteries, Boost, 3 levels of intensity, wide and narrow beam capability, and basic AA batteries I find it to be a great package. Most of the folks on MRS use this lamp. Another handy tool I use for three season use is This handy little Tool. At .95 onces don't Leave home with out it!

Another Vote For...

...the Myo XP...with lithium batteries. I've used it for lots of night hiking and always found it reliable and bright. Great winter light! I also use the Tikka XP and like that as well but reserve it for summer.

Tim Seaver said:
The Apex is pretty heavy at almost 10 oz. - definitely an issue if you use it for night running or just don't like that much weight on your head (or in your pack). 3 AA's are about my limit. Also, there have been reports of the Apex cracking, perhaps from heat. Then there is the issue of the shorter battery life, which means carrying yet more weight if you are doing an all-nighter.

The new Apex Pro is quite a bit lighter at under 7 oz., but you are stuck with using CR123 lithium batteries, which could be a big issue if you are traveling. And it's $90. Trade offs aplenty!
Weight, size, and cost are the disadvantages of the Apex. But it is the brightest hiking headlamp that I am aware of. IMO, it is more headlamp than most hikers need but it does appear to be popular with cavers.

One odd thing - BD doesn't mention using lithium AA's with the Icon, but I have been using them almost exclusively without any problems, getting a good strong beam for about 8 hours, almost twice what I get with alkaline AAs. In cold weather, the difference is even more dramatic ( same for the Zenix IQ)
Most electronics that uses alkaline AA cells can also use lithiums. (I do know of a few devices that can be unhappy with lithiums.) Lithiums put out a slightly higher voltage than alkalines. For the first few minutes, lithiums can put out up to 1.8V but that soon decays to 1.5 or 1.6V. As you use them, the voltage of alkaline cells will slowly drop and an unregulated LED light will slowly get dimmer. Lithiums will hold a fairly constant voltage (once the initial spike is gone) until exhausted and then the voltage will drop off rapidly (and an LED light will do the same). Lithiums can also put out a lot more current than alkalines.

Incidentally, the Icon won Rock and Ice's "Best In Gear" Award.
The Icon is certainly a reasonable light. Not quite as bright as an Apex and its beam is narrower, but it is lighter. No boost regulator.

IMO, for general hiking the BD Spot with an PT Aurora backup is fine. For intentional extended night hiking, I might bring something a bit higher powered. For fast night XC skiing, I want at least 1 watt (PT Yukon HL, Zenix IQ, Icon, or Apex) and for slow (level kick-and-glide) night skiing, an Aurora class headlamp is adequate.

BTW, the Apex and my 3W LED bike light are about as bright as my 10W incandescent bike light.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Most electronics that uses alkaline AA cells can also use lithiums. (I do know of a few devices that can be unhappy with lithiums.) Lithiums put out a slightly higher voltage than alkalines. For the first few minutes, lithiums can put out up to 1.8V but that soon decays to 1.5 or 1.6V. As you use them, the voltage of alkaline cells will slowly drop and an unregulated LED light will slowly get dimmer. Lithiums will hold a fairly constant voltage (once the initial spike is gone) until exhausted and then the voltage will drop off rapidly (and an LED light will do the same). Lithiums can also put out a lot more current than alkalines.
Doug

Correct me here if I am wrong Doug...My understanding is because of the higher voltage output of Lithium batteries it wil reduce the Bulb Life of an LED..albeit a very small amount. Personally I will take the tradeoff of reduced bulb life using Lithiums for the increased performance in cold conditions.

skiguy said:
Correct me here if I am wrong Doug...My understanding is because of the higher voltage output of Lithium batteries it wil reduce the Bulb Life of an LED..albeit a very small amount. Personally I will take the tradeoff of reduced bulb life using Lithiums for the increased performance in cold conditions.
It is possible--overheating can damage an LED. You are probably ok. If you want to be careful, run the headlamp on a low setting for the first 10-15 min of a new set of lithiums' lifetime to burn off that initial voltage spike.

As I understand it, the 1W and higher power LED lights include a temp sensor and turn the power down if it gets too hot. So as long as the electronics can stand the extra voltage, the LED should be fine.

Doug