Blue Hill Reservation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I went hiking at the Blue Hills Reservation for the first time this past Sunday (11/11). For the most part I thought it was pretty decent, a good warm-up for the Whites is basically how I looked at it.

Now granted, I went on a holiday (Veterans Day) so I expected to see a good amount of people, but what a herd going up and down the Red Trail! I've never seen so many people on a hiking trail in my life; that includes any and all trails in the Whites and the Daks. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to see people supporting hiking and getting out on the trails but I felt like I was at the Mall going up and down the escalator while Christmas shopping. :eek:

Here again, I enjoyed the hiking itself and would like to go back and try some of the other trails. Here are my questions, has anybody ever done these trails during the week or even on a non-holiday weekend? Are the crowds usually a little bit thinner? Are the other trails a little less crowded than the Red Trail?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Last edited:
The wife and I usually go on the weekends, and I've never seen as many people as you describe. We usually stick to the skyline trail and hang out on the top of blue hill where the observatory is. Lots of nice wildlife up there in summer, saw some blue birds and orioles. Its a nice little get away when you cant make in to the whites (which is only once a year for me) :(

I hiked up Great Blue Hill after work one day and, other than some kids visiting the observatory, it was very quiet and enjoyable.

Even on weekdays you can expect to encounter several other hikers on the Great Blue Hill. I found the route that gets the least traffic on that hill is the Skyline Tr from the west. Park in the parknride lot and you might not see another hiker until you near the observatory.

For a better chance of having some seclusion, try hiking away from Big Blue. There're some nice hills in the central and eastern section of the Reservation that are less frequented. Also, keeping off the main trails, you can hike for miles without seeing other hikers.

It's a great place to hike and Bostonians are lucky to have it in their back yard :D

I used to trail run there and one day ran right up the tower pretty fast - caught couple goin' at it right then & there.

joined in - great way to end a run. ;) :eek:

just kidding - I apologized and ran away fast :)

so watch out in that tower. prolly around 1996-1997ish

Last edited:
The Quiet Blue Hills

Over the past year, I have ran or hiked the Blue hills trails 3 times a week. My office was just at the foot reservation by the Shea Rink. All outings were done on weekdays in the early morning before work or in the early affternoon. During those times, I would meet up with one or two persons, maximum. Early mornings, I saw more deer then people. :)

I used to literally live in the Blue Hills! :)

Try the often overlooked Ponkapoag side of the reservation. Nice loop hike, the bog walk and plenty of less traveled trails and old carriage roads.

Especially in winter, where lots of folks take advantage of x-country on the trails (and the golf course), sledding, ice fishing and simple hiking.

peace.

rocksnrolls is right on. The red trail up Great Blue is the superhighway of the blue hills - I'll bet 60% of the hiking in this 6000 acres is up this 20 min stretch. But don't dare overlook the rest of the park - many many miles of serene beauty just minutes off the highway. And its well worth getting the $2 map at headquarters. I've walked most of it; hope to snowshoe the cedar swamp sooner than later, Blue Hills is a tremendous resource right at our door!

The easiest way to get solitude on Blue Hills trails is to avoid trails that start/end at the ski area parking lots, the Houghton's pond parking lots and the parking lot on Chickataubut Rd. Regarding the "red dot" trail that starts by the petting zoo, you can avoid most of the crowds by choosing the norther branch of the trail, which is to the left as you are ascending. 90% of the people going up stay to the right. Regarding the Chickataubut Rd pull out, it's been a notorious location for gay men cruising for sex so if you're a male, getting solicited is not out of the question. It's happened to me there and I know of several other friends who've been solicited there. Note, I'm not making any judgements about people's lifestyle choices. I just wish it wouldn't happen in public park lands.

There are plenty of places to hike there with less crowds. Just get a map and choose the smaller trail heads.

I have hiked the Blue Hills many times. I live in the Boston metro area, so the convenience can't be beaten. One thing that many people do not know is that this area is fairly easy to access by public transportation: Take the 238 bus from Quincy Center on the Red Line, and get off at the Shea Skating Rink. This is where the eastern terminus of the Skyline trail is. From there I take the Skyline trail all the way to GBH, and then back to the area just west of Buck Hill (the center-most hill with the best 360-degree views in the whole place), where I head north to Chickatawbut Rd, and then east until I get to the highway. Just across the street at the intersection, you can pick up bus #240 which will take you to Ashmost station. This is a long hike, about 10 or 12 miles, and it really takes no less energy to complete than any 4000-footer (except maybe those with greater mileage, like Isolation).

For those who want some variety, you should also consider the Middlesex Fells Reservation that is north of the city. This is even easier to get to by public transportation, just take the orange line to Oak Grove and then walk north on the main street until it splits, cross to the other side and take the steep dead end rd on the left. This reservation has smaller hills, but I find it is easier to build up considerable mileage, and the abundance of rocky outcroppings and ledges is really impressive. Some beautiful reservoirs, too.

Sorry to resurrect one of my old threads but I went back yesterday (Super Bowl Sunday) and took the advice of many on this board. I avoided the Red Trail altogether and opted for one of the Green trails to the Skyline Trail. What great hiking it was! I saw what I would consider to be just the right number of people and had some good hiking conversations. It was quite different from my original experience.

So thanks to all for the advice, it was of much use to me. I'll surely be heading back to Blue Hills.

Hey Giggy, I didn't go to the tower. I thought I might be tempted to join in.
:p

When I lived in Brookline I went to the Blue Hills on those weekends when I did not go to the Whites. As many have written, the Red Dot trails are the superhighway. I have given distances and elevation gains for many of the more strenuous loops or round trips in my Blue Hills page.

North of Boston there are similar (but less rugged) hiking opportunities in the Middlesex Fells.