Eggs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
How do

Tell me if the eggs will still be good...

I'm going to crack some eggs into a nalgene bottle today and scramble'm up. I'll keep them in the refrigerator 'till I head into the woods Saturday morning. Where I'm going will still be cold enough outside to keep the egg temp. low enough in my kayak before I cook them on Sunday morning.

You think this will work (aside from the fact that a bear might come along and join me for breakfast)?

Thanks. Your culinary expert advice is appreciated. :D

If you keep em about 40°F, they will last a long time. Oh BTW, don't scramble em, you can make some nice over easies.

Enjoy!

The standard recomedation is to leave them in the shell than break them when you need them. Eggs are sold from unrefrigerated shelves in many countires.

I always crack my eggs and put them without breaking the yolk into a plastic container - much easier to carry around and have yet to "go bad" on me. Eggs are pretty hardy.

Another vote for leaving them in the shell and just keeping them in a holder.

If possible, get unwashed eggs. They naturally have a coating that helps keep bacteria out. (I've even heard that washing eggs can force bacteria into the egg, though I'm a little skeptical.) Unfortunately, getting unwashed eggs is tough unless you have your own chickens or buy from a local farm.

I would go for the egg holder contraption. Being a two time sufferer of salmonella poisoning, I would not take any chances. Of course chicken is the main culprit, but I am still scared. Why don't you just take some granola, pop tarts, or something less messy?

Why don't you just take some granola, pop tarts, or something less messy?
I usually do but I'm gonna live large for once.

Well, I've got 8 (yes 8) de-shelled eggs in a small nalgene bottle in the cooler now. It'll stay there 'till Saturday morning and then into the kayak where it's not supposed to get warmer than 29F during the day (let's hope they don't freeze Saturday night). Sunday morning they'll get cooked up.

Thanks. Any more input is appreciated.
Be well.

Go extra grande! Buy a chicken and bring it kayaking. Fresh eggs, company, and a story to tell the grandchildren. I would recommend a cow as well for fresh milk, but do not foresee the bovine floating. Man up! Bear Grylls would do it.

...a vote for hard-boiled, with a little packet of salt. I'm spoiled with fresh eggs from my sister's chickens.

happy trails :)

cushetunk said:
Another vote for leaving them in the shell and just keeping them in a holder.

If possible, get unwashed eggs. They naturally have a coating that helps keep bacteria out. (I've even heard that washing eggs can force bacteria into the egg, though I'm a little skeptical.) Unfortunately, getting unwashed eggs is tough unless you have your own chickens or buy from a local farm.

It is true about the bacteria. The key is to wash the eggs with water warmer than the egg. It is recomended not to wash eggs and if there is a dirty spot than take fine sandpaper or the rough side of a dry sponge and scrape it clean. Cold water opens the pores in the egg forcing bacteria in. I have chickens and have left the eggs out in the coop for well over a day in hot weather. It takes a lot longer than most think for an egg to go bad. I would keep it in the shell. Once the egg is out of the shell it does not last nearly as long. Plus it is a lot cleaner to hard boil at camp than dirty up a pan and having to clean it.

Don't we all agree that if the de-shelled eggs are kept cold enough, they should still be fine for a day or two outta their shells?

The hard boiled sounds good but for once, I'm gonna live it up. Bacon, skillet, butter, eggs, potatoes, coffee, the whole nine.

:D

IndianChris said:
Don't we all agree that if the de-shelled eggs are kept cold enough, they should still be fine for a day or two outta their shells?

Probably, but I am not sure. There has been research on this. Since you could contaminate the egg when you crack it open, and bacteria would start growing then, and the temperature they are stored at is uncertain, and bacteria can grow in cold temps, there is a possible risk. So generally the advice is to crack them when you cook them. But given what you are doing and have already cracked your eggs, I would probably cook them and eat them myself.

There is also lots of research (and overwhelming historical experience) that fresh eggs can be stored for months and not spoil. Certainly for a few days or even week of a typical trip fresh eggs should keep just fine. Hard boiled eggs can keep for days too, but much, much, much less long than fresh eggs.

Cutting off the egg carton with the number of eggs you want, and putting that in a zip lock, should carrry and store fresh eggs pretty well (and maybe better than the plastic holder).

Last edited:
If you want long-term storage of eggs, check out sailor's methods. They use raw, never-chilled eggs in the shell which can last months if stored properly.

For a weekend, pretty much anything in the shell, cooked or raw, never-chilled or chilled, should work.

Doug

What happens if they freeze ?

Edited: Well, there's A LOT of info on freezing eggs when Googled, but it's mostly about fertility and reproduction... :eek:

It appears as though, if there's a risk they will freeze, it might be better to freeze them yourself ahead of time with some added salt:

21. Can eggs be frozen?

Answer: Eggs can be satisfactorily frozen after mixing the yolk and the albumen. It may be desirable to freeze the egg mixture in ice trays or muffin tins and then store the frozen eggs in plastic bags. The frozen eggs can be thawed in the refrigerator and used any where a whole egg is needed. Three tablespoons of liquid whole egg should be used in place of one large egg. Egg whites can be frozen satisfactorily and can also be frozen in ice trays or muffin tins. Yolks on the other hand become very gelatinous when frozen unless they are mixed with salt or sugar. To help retard the gelation, mix 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 ½ teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per ¼ cup eggs yolks (4 large yolks). Freezing in ice trays or muffin tins may also be desirable. When the egg yolks are used, the recipe should be adjusted to the salt or sugar already in the egg yolks.

Last edited:
Well all, I appraciate the input.
That's great info you found there Chip! Thanks. I'm definately going to add some salt since it will be around 15F Saturday night.
Really appreciate it! Will try to post pics on the return and inform how the eggs faired.
Be well! ;)