Car Shuttle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwadk

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a way to have a car and/or people shuttled from one trailhead to another in order to make a through hike possible. This would be in the High Peaks area.

You might try to hook up with someone on the ADKforum.com board also.
12 Years ago when I was doing the NLP, I called the local Lake Placid Chamber of Commerce and Post Office and asked them if they knew of any retired person who wouldn't mind picking my car up at the trailhead and spotting it at the terminus for a small fee of $25-$35. I got a few names of folks, and it probably would have wored well, but I ended up having my wife drop me instead.

I did the same thing when I backpacked across Joshua Tree in '96. and that worked out well. 'Course I paid $50 then because there isn't much out there in the desert. and it is a lot of driving to shuttle a car to the other end.

The owner of The Hostel (Dave?) in Keene Valley will do a shuttle for you for a reasonable fee. I'll see if I can dig up the phone number and post it this evening.

hitchhike

Most people will give you a ride if you are in a hiking area, and carrying a pack. You can always spot the car first and hitchhike to the start of the hike to ensure you will not be stranded.

I always pick up smelly hikers, but I would be nervous about giving rides to others not hiking.

Oldsmores said:
The owner of The Hostel (Dave?) in Keene Valley will do a shuttle for you for a reasonable fee. I'll see if I can dig up the phone number and post it this evening.
The Hostel 518-576-2030
BTW, great avatar pic Bob!

My wife and I are starting a business to do just what you are asking for.
We are called Adirondack Maximization and ready to take passengers as of a few weeks ago.
We are just getting the kinks out of our web site before we really do any advertising.
Here is a link to us:
http://www.adkmax.com/

if you choose contact us go through the [email protected] address linked on the bottom of each page or our phone #.

Hope we can help you and many other folks out in the near future.

Re: Think bicycle

Pete_Hickey said:
Bring along a bike. drop everyone/everything off at the start point, drive (with the bike) to the end point. Park, take the bike out, cycle to the other trailhead. Hide the bike in the woods.

In the early 90's I was driving to Washington DC twice a month, and I hiked most of the AT between here and there using this method, kncoking off 5 to 15 mile peices between roads on the trip down and again on the trip back home.

Two things I learned.

1) Hike to the car, not the bike. There is a better chance the bike will be stolen, not the car. In all the times I did this, my bike was unmolested, but the piece of mind was greater. Plus you don't have a bike ride after hiking.

2) Leave the car at the high point and bike down to the low point of the trail segment. This meant that I hiked the AT almost totally uphill, but it is work pedaling a bike uphill, and effortless to coast. My favorite was the Shennandoah. Twice I have downhill coasts of close to ten miles with hardly a touch of the pedal.

Tom