hiking near tupper lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have not seen many mountains to hike near the tupper lake rejion. does any one know of any? I want to do mnt fredrica and lake lila, but there doesn't seem to be many more. also I dont see anything around raquette lake.

yes, there are a few to do and they offer great views

Conney mtn. this mtn. is south of Tupper Lake. on the way to long lake you'll see a snowplow turn around. this is where you'll park. this is also the division of the three county lines. Franklin, St. Lawrence and Hamilton. if you walk into the woods near the parking lot and follow the red paint blazes for 50 feet or so you'll see a marker in the ground. this marks the three county division. the actual trail is across the road near a telephone pole and a state DEC sign. follow the red paint blazes and some taped trees to the top. it's only about a 30-40 min hike, but it is continuous. once on top you'll have 360 degree views of the surrounding area..

Mt Arab is to the North west of Tupper. this has a Fire tower that has been fully restored and also offers great views of the surronding area and some of the high peaks. take rte. 3 towards Cranberry lake and as you come upon the village of Confier you'll take a left, i can't remember the name of the road but it is marked.

Owls Head in long lake is another fire tower mtn that has great views to the south. and also to the east. to get there take Endion road just outside of long lake and look for the sign to Owls head.

soon, in 2006 we should be able to climb mt. morris (big Tupper) again . this mtn has a fire tower on top that is in dire need of restoration. but i think that this mtn also offers great views without the tower.

if you want to travel towards Saranac Lake their is Ampersand mtn. this one is a great climb and has some great views.

Raquette lake has West mtn. this mtn used to be a fire tower but that has been taken down. i think i heard that this mtn has some views from the summit...not too positive...

that's all i can think of right now. hope this helps. let me know if you want in depth details for the summits and directions.

happy hiking,
adackr

There's also a Panther Mountain along Route 3; I can't recall for sure whether the trailhead is before or after Coreys Road, but if I had to guess I'd say it's on the Saranac Lake side, so perhaps it's too far out of Tupper Lake for your taste. The hike to the top of the mountain (elevation 2200 feet?) is only about a half-mile, maybe less.

Raymond said:
There's also a Panther Mountain along Route 3; I can't recall for sure whether the trailhead is before or after Coreys Road, but if I had to guess I'd say it's on the Saranac Lake side, so perhaps it's too far out of Tupper Lake for your taste. The hike to the top of the mountain (elevation 2200 feet?) is only about a half-mile, maybe less.

yeah, this trail head is on the left hand side before the Coreys Road going towards Saranac Lake on rt. 86.. it's just after the the break between rt.30 and rt. 86